View Poll Results: Sports car or Muscle car?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sports car!

2 3.08%
  • Muscle Car!

36 55.38%
  • Both!

27 41.54%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What is a Muscle car?

This is a discussion on What is a Muscle car? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by sfletch2000 I consider it to be a "modern muscle car" +1....

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    I consider it to be a "modern muscle car"
    +1.

Admiral Biotch

Metallic Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Well it sounds like a lot of you think its a muscle car. I think typically sports cars dont sound as "tuff". muscle cars are made more for drag runs instead of manuverabitly around tight corners and such. and sports cars are more cramped. So I think they are muscle cars

Tig

Collector Yellow (54U)
    2002 Trans Am CE

I think Pontiac said it best in 1998

"The Muscle Car Lives!"

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by BANDITCAR View Post
    I think Pontiac said it best in 1998

"The Muscle Car Lives!"
    Very good point Muscle car it is!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

WIW said "performance cars" and i think that is a much better categorization of new-era f-bodies

I own several muscle cars from the 60's and 70's and even own a 71 454 corvette as well as a pair of 4th gens.
    I have to admit I am old school and really love the old stuff more, and my 454 SS chevelle, and 70 formula 400 firebird fit the muscle car catagory such as it was back then.

Even though my 70 formula is part of the pony car wars as well, I feel it's true heritage is muscle car.

With that said I also like the Fbodies of today. I consider the 4th gens to be more modern muscle cars, and I say modern because although the V-8 and rear drive are still there,,,,they are flooded with cushy options like A/C, power windows, cruise control, ABS, fancy radios, etc....
    Now if you could get one of these 4th gens bare bones with no add on options, and basically order the car the way you want instead of being forced to buy into all this cushy crap,,,then I would consider it even more of a muscle car. But thats what we get today. America is getting soft. It's as close as it will be to the good old days unfortunately.

So I say ya the 4th gens are musclular, with smooth power and fun to drive,,,,but it doesn't quite fullfill what I think the true meaning of a hardcore musclecar really is. You really have to own both types of cars old and new to really grasp what I am trying to say.
    Because of this I find it more appropriate to call them modern muscle.

Black
    93 Trans Am

Modern Muscle Car

my favorite car commercial ever!

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

pass the A1, she's still hungry...woot woot. I loved that commercial, wanted one ever since that ad.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

I remember that commercial. I was 10yrs old when that commercial went on the air. I begged my dad to get a firebird for months after that.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I own several muscle cars from the 60's and 70's and even own a 71 454 corvette as well as a pair of 4th gens.
    I have to admit I am old school and really love the old stuff more, and my 454 SS chevelle, and 70 formula 400 firebird fit the muscle car catagory such as it was back then.

Even though my 70 formula is part of the pony car wars as well, I feel it's true heritage is muscle car.

With that said I also like the Fbodies of today. I consider the 4th gens to be more modern muscle cars, and I say modern because although the V-8 and rear drive are still there,,,,they are flooded with cushy options like A/C, power windows, cruise control, ABS, fancy radios, etc....
    Now if you could get one of these 4th gens bare bones with no add on options, and basically order the car the way you want instead of being forced to buy into all this cushy crap,,,then I would consider it even more of a muscle car. But thats what we get today. America is getting soft. It's as close as it will be to the good old days unfortunately.

So I say ya the 4th gens are musclular, with smooth power and fun to drive,,,,but it doesn't quite fullfill what I think the true meaning of a hardcore musclecar really is. You really have to own both types of cars old and new to really grasp what I am trying to say.
    Because of this I find it more appropriate to call them modern muscle.

Totally agree. My 69 camaro has absolutly no options except a 12bolt and a big block. 4 wheel drum brakes, manual steering, and the only A/C it has is the windows rolled down.

But I think the definition of a muscle car has changed. As much as I love the old school hot rods, I would never buy a modern car that went down the drag strip really fast but couldn't turn. But I agree that the old muscle cars were the best!!!

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

i'd much prefer a car that can handle, with ac and power everything than one without. Shit my gn is faster than my t/a but i prefer to drive the the t/a it handles much better and i prefer to drive a six speed. And my gn makes in the ball park of 550 ft/lbs of torque.

I was never much for going around corners, always been more of a straight line kinda guy which I guess is why the older cars satisfy me just fine. I guess when you take a driving test in a 56 nomad, and then drive it everyday to school and work for many years, with manual steering and manual drum brakes, nothing else really phases you much,,,lol.
    There were actually some older cars that handled quite well.
    My 70 Formula is a great handler, back in 70 road and track took one and put it up against a 70 vette and found the Fbody quite capable.
    I also have a 71 454 vette,,,great car that handles fine, but I am more comfortable behind the wheel of the Formula believe it or not. I don't have to have A/C and power windows to be comfy, hell thats just more crap that can break,,lol. And there is an impact and satisfaction of driving the old stuff knowing you are the only one on the road driving a car that has character, something that you just can't get from any new car.
    Don't get me wrong, I like my 02 SS camaro. It drives almost by itself,,,but it's almost too good, taking away a real driving experience. I still consider it a modern muscle car,,,just wish I could have ordered it with roll up windows, no A/C, delete all the safety crap etc. Oh well, I should just be happy I grabbed one since GM doesn't seem to be in a hurry to replace it with anything.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

The car that defined the term "muscle car" was the '64 GTO, which was a mid-size car (Tempest) with a big car engine (389) stuffed in it. It was also built on a platform that was shared with 4 door sedans and station wagon versions and easily sat 5 people, 6 if you had a bench front seat. IMO, this is distinctly different than the "pony cars", which was originally the Mustang and Baracuda (which actually was the original "pony car" since it preceeded the '64-1/2 Mustang by a few months) and followed by the f-body in '67. "Pony cars" never shared a platform with a 4-door sedan or wagon version and were always 4-seaters (not 5). "Sports cars" are always 2-seaters, and anyone who think's the 'Vette isn't a "sports car" is clueless. Even an AMX could be considered a "sports car".

Therefore the 4-gen f-body cars are PONY CARS, and this poll needs a "neither" choice.

Class dismissed.
    Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 05-23-2007 at 06:39 AM.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Well I guess you are saying there is no such thing as a muscle car anymore??? least none built in the last decade or more.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Checked out a small book that was called "the muscle car"....Our cars were in that book along with your chargers, cudas, mustangs, grand national, etc. We are still muscle, but i'd agree more with modern muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    The car that defined the term "muscle car" was the '64 GTO, which was a mid-size car (Tempest) with a big car engine (389) stuffed in it. It was also built on a platform that was shared with 4 door sedans and station wagon versions and easily sat 5 people, 6 if you had a bench front seat. IMO, this is distinctly different than the "pony cars", which was originally the Mustang and Baracuda (which actually was the original "pony car" since it preceeded the '64-1/2 Mustang by a few months) and followed by the f-body in '67. "Pony cars" never shared a platform with a 4-door sedan or wagon version and were always 4-seaters (not 5). "Sports cars" are always 2-seaters, and anyone who think's the 'Vette isn't a "sports car" is clueless. Even an AMX could be considered a "sports car".

Therefore the 4-gen f-body cars are PONY CARS, and this poll needs a "neither" choice.

Class dismissed.
    The pony cars jumped onto the bandwagon of muscle car status as soon as they were born. They all could be had with the same engines the bigger cars had, and in some cases were the faster of the bunch due to being lighter. They may have been marketed as pony cars but they were also most definately muscle cars as well.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

How can handleing better with more comfort take away from the driving experience, if anything it adds to the drive. A car that has balls, comfort and good handleing who wouldnt wanna drive that. I have driven many classoc cars i had a 79 malibu with a 383 in it, but i love to drive the T/A with the tops off, in my book there is almost no greater feeling than a cool car with t-tops/.

I guess one would have to drive an old school muscle car to understand what I mean about "driving experience"

A V8 with a cam, holding the hurst 4 speed shifter with it shaking in your hand, radio delete with only the sound of solid lifters singing, 4.56 gears to keep your hand and foot busy, manual steering with a true road feel. It's an experience that can't be put into words.

The 4th gens are cushy, you can't really "feel" anything, the shifters are rubber insulated to take any feel and noise out, they were designed mainly for a "softer" America with cushy comfy feel. Nothing really hard core about it.
    Don't get me wrong, I like them and own a pair of them, but they simply don't have the character and mistique of a 60's or early 70's muscle car.

Just 2 different types of cars made in a different era.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

As stated above i had a 79 malibu, ok it was a 4 speed aut matic built transmisson, but it had no radio, or ac. So i do understand and my exhaust was headers to side pipes, i still love driving the T/A more. It also didnt have a kick down cable so i would have to manuelly shift when raceing.
    Last edited by 2000T/A Guru; 05-23-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I guess one would have to drive an old school muscle car to understand what I mean about "driving experience"

A V8 with a cam, holding the hurst 4 speed shifter with it shaking in your hand, radio delete with only the sound of solid lifters singing, 4.56 gears to keep your hand and foot busy, manual steering with a true road feel. It's an experience that can't be put into words.

The 4th gens are cushy, you can't really "feel" anything, the shifters are rubber insulated to take any feel and noise out, they were designed mainly for a "softer" America with cushy comfy feel. Nothing really hard core about it.
    Don't get me wrong, I like them and own a pair of them, but they simply don't have the character and mistique of a 60's or early 70's muscle car.

Just 2 different types of cars made in a different era.
    Yea I understand what your saying, but then your dad would tell you your car is too comfy. His only had wooden seats, no windshield, and he doesn't think you have a real car until you have to hand crank it to start it. Then he'd tell you ur not really a man till you drive with no windshield and eat a few bugs. This is all we know and what we grew up with, so it's our muscle...."today's muscle", even if it's made to satisfy speed and comfort needs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information