What to look for?

I am going to begin to start looking for my first LS1 Firebird, and would appreciate any tips that may be helpful will looking for one. I grew up around these cars my whole life, and have had some pretty rare ones in the family, and now I think it is time for my own. Also how are the LS1s with higher miles? I probally will only be able to afford one with 60k+ miles. And also what all does it take to get the WS6 look, I love that look, but I know I can't afford a WS6, is it simply just the hood?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

for growing up around these cars-you sure have a lot of questions.

THey laugh @ 60k miles. We have members in the 150's and going strong-not that'd id recomend buying a car over 80k miles w/out having seen it's complete maintenance record.

Shoot for an 01-02 model, they are considered the 'better ones.' with improved master/slave cylinders and came with ls6 intakes...some even got ls6 blocks!

The ws.6 will fair an extra 1200-1500 in prices. Depending on your expectations of the car, most people will buy a t/a and slap a hood on it, then change out all the "stock stuff" for "better stuff." So it's one of those things where if you plan on modding the hell out of the car, then get a t/a. If you wanna keep it near-stock or just add a few things, then get a ws.6 and be happy you're "one of the eleet" LOL.

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    for growing up around these cars-you sure have a lot of questions.

THey laugh @ 60k miles. We have members in the 150's and going strong-not that'd id recomend buying a car over 80k miles w/out having seen it's complete maintenance record.

Shoot for an 01-02 model, they are considered the 'better ones.' with improved master/slave cylinders and came with ls6 intakes...some even got ls6 blocks!

The ws.6 will fair an extra 1200-1500 in prices. Depending on your expectations of the car, most people will buy a t/a and slap a hood on it, then change out all the "ws.6 stuff" for "better stuff." So it's one of those things where if you plan on modding the hell out of the car, then get a t/a. If you wanna keep it near-stock or just add a few things, then get a ws.6 and be happy you're "one of the eleet" LOL.
    Well I was around 1st gens and 2nd gens most the time, a few LT1s, but never were driven that many miles, except for my moms '94 Hawk. I remember that always had AC issues and had a headgasket issue, are either of those common among the newer ones?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

nope. i think they changed the bolt pattern on the aluminum blocks. Look at the sticky tab called "all the firebird stickies combined" there is some really good info in there about changes through the ls1's-life.

Thread Information