Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

What kind of oil?

Since I am new to owning a Trans Am I thought I would ask the opinion of some of you guys. What are you running in your cars? I am going to run a full synthetic but what are some good options? Some people recommended royal purple. Thoughts? Is that a lot better than mobil one? Thanks, Sid.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

I run penzoil platinum 5-30 oil and a Mobil1 oil filter. Amsoil products are also very good probly one of the best. There are some threads on here that get pretty in-depth on oils and filters. When you read them you will notice Royal Purple is not talked about to highly of.
    Lt's,SFC,3,600 Fuddle stall,Spohn Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, BMR LCA,Ls6 intake,Air lid,Under drive pulley,S60 rear,Frost tune and a few more things I cant remember.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Do a quick search before Sarge or someone else tells you about all the other threads on this one. There's some good ones out there...

Oh wait, 5150 already said that...

And I use Mobil-1 oil and filters.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Penzoil Platinum and K&N filter here on the 98 and the 02

Black
    2002 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    LMAO!!
    Ill break it down for you Beck! Sarge has done his home work thru the years and this is what he suggests (he is the ultimate oil guru)...

1. Amsoil
    2. Castrol SynTec
    3. Red Line
    4. Mobil 1
    5. Pennzoil Platinum

Top 5 Dino Oils
    1. Valvoline
    2. Castrol GTX
    3. Pennzoil
    4. Havoline
    5. Chevron

Filters.....
    1. Mobil 1
    2. Amsoil
    3. KN
    4. NAPA Gold
    5. Purolator

Btw that list comes from page 5 post # 89 from the link C5z28 posted. Just incase you wanted to know!
    Last edited by prater_1; 03-10-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I use purely dino oil in the TA as I change my oil by time not mileage. I barely drive my car 1,000 miles in a year. I always just use an AC Delco oem filter. My oil choices are:

1. Mobil 1 Clean 5000 - 10w-30
    2. Castrol GTX - 10w-30
    3. Pennzoil - 10w-30
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    I barely drive my car 1,000 miles in a year.
    That's just crazy!

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    That's just crazy!
    This is my TA that has set in storage for the last 2.5 years. I recently was in the US for 2 months and actually drove it from FL to NC. I raced it a bit there too. I put the videos up in the mutli-media section here. So far this year I have driven it like 1,500 miles, but every year since 2008 I only drove it about 1,000 miles or so.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I used Redline 10w30 in the beginning for several years. Got tired of mail ordering my oil then switched to German Castrol. Now getting tired of paying $7 a quart or however much that is and switching to Penzoil Platinum. Walleyworld sells 5qt jugs of the stuff pretty cheap.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I used Redline 10w30 in the beginning for several years. Got tired of mail ordering my oil then switched to German Castrol. Now getting tired of paying $7 a quart or however much that is and switching to Penzoil Platinum. Walleyworld sells 5qt jugs of the stuff pretty cheap.
    Wallyworld is the best place for cheap oil prices. I can get my oil and a filter there for less than $20 for the TA. I was actually contemplating about switching to the Pennzoil Platinum and making the switch to synthetic. I have always used dino oil since I broke the motor in with it.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Penzoil Platinum and K&N filter here on the 98 and the 02
    Me too ^^^^^

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

I use penzoil ultra and the bosch filters. Maybe ill have to switch it up to amsoil after the list

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

asmoil

there not enough Words to say how amsoil is the champ of oils the thing that I like about amsoil is there have indepent lap test done and show you the real outcome, they run diffenct test, with all types of oil mobiln 1, redline royal, even non sytens, they runs test like heating the copper slap, ball beraing wearing, stuff you seen oil companys is the past have shown us how they oil is better, with amsoil they do all they test vs. just show a heated copper Slap, and show you that amsoil does always is the best in each test but amsoil is the only oil that says within the first three winings spot in each test and they where honesly on whitch oil did better in that test that why I go wil amsoil, I was a die hard mobil one fan great oil, but amsoil is the champ!!

Note :Amsoil was the first full syen oil comany back in the 1970s

Amsoil is like Rocky, Mobil 1 is like apollo, royal is like clubber lang, and redline is like ivan drago if that helps LOL!
    Last edited by Rmaverickz28; 03-12-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Stock Ls1 longtube Slp Headers,Slp Y-pype, Flowmaster 80 series ,Level 10 Trans, Moser 12 blot 3.73s 33-spine axels tru-track posi, 335rwhp 345rwtq (STOLEN!!! 02/2011)

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Always have and always will use good ole conventional oil.
    All those tests that synthetic oil companies do are bullshit. Not one of them can prove that your motor will last longer using their oil.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    All those tests that synthetic oil companies do are bullshit. Not one of them can prove that your motor will last longer using their oil.
    That is my thoughts as well. I think it goes by more so how often you change it. Heck even if it hasn't been that long I will change my oil out before I go to the track just for peace of mind. With conv. oil and ACDelco oem filter it is less than $20 to do so.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Penzoil Platinum here, with a Delco filter. Atlhough I just read a new filter comparo where the Delco filter ended up towards the bottom. I think the top was actually the FramTough Guard, or something like that.

Next oil change I'll probably switch.

And yeah, the Penzoil is pretty cheap at WalMart, I think it was like 20 or 21 for the 5-qt jug last time I bought some. I always have having to buy that extra loose quart though.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

mobil clean 5000 5w30 and a ac delco filter in my ws6 and s/c monte. t/a has over 200k and 95% of the time i have run conventional oil.

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Dude come on, I know for a fact syn is a better than conventional for two reasons, one, seen on Hoursepower tv, made 10 more rwhp switching to syen. oil, I went to wyotech in CA, and my classmate was like you, thought it was bull, so we grabbed every oil brand and type we can get our hand on, and hit the dyno DUDE CONVENTIONAL IS GARBAGE, WORST DYNO NUMBERS OF ALL OILS, the best oils we found are the name brand syns, Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline and Royal Purple, from what we found is that syn does average 5-10 more hp than conven.

I read, here, people use conventional, cus it's cheap blah blah, Food for thought if you treat your ls1.2.3.6.7.9 cheaply your LS will treat you cheaply.....

I have read here people say I used conventional it runs fine, that why I am sticking with it.

Also what we learn from class is that coventional, sticks to your inner walls like glue, gross who whats that in ther LS cars, give it to the imports and ford guys!!!

Coventional is made in a refinery

Syn. is made in a lab

Why whould you put slug in your block or rob yourself power just to save 10-20 bucks on your oil change doest make sense guys, the reason I am writing all this cus I love the LS line up and I want it to stay always on the toes,

Much love LS Guys
    Last edited by pajeff02; 03-15-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Spelling and cleaned up the grammar.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Dyno numbers don't tell you everything about an oil. I only run synthetic but thats my preference. My favorite oil is Mobil 1 with a Mobil filter but I'm thinking about giving Redline a go.
    Last edited by HOBS; 03-15-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information