Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

what is a firehawk

This is a discussion on what is a firehawk within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by speedaddict Has anyone ever seen a Firehawk/Blackhawk 430? When I was shopping for my ws6, I came ...

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by speedaddict
    Has anyone ever seen a Firehawk/Blackhawk 430? When I was shopping for my ws6, I came across this car that a guy who ran a Ford dealership that I think he owned. Me and a friend saw it in the back, so we went in to inquire about it. Guy was real cool, he also said it was not for sale and said it came from the factory the way it sat. We asked what the 430 meant and he said horsepower. Anyway it said it on the door the same way it would say firebird or transam. Not sure of the year but it was at least a 98 or up. Has anyone ever seen this or was this some sh*t the guy had made up? He might still work there and maybe I can get some pics of the car.
    probably a blackbird, http://www.gmmginc.net/html/blackbird.html

3 cars got the option for a bigger motor that made more than the 380 hp package, not sure if it was 430 though

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Get some pics if you can. I'd like to see that car.

ok, not trying to step on any toes here, but whoever says that the firehawk is equal to an SS is a dumbass.
    firebird = camaro
    formula = Z-28
    trans am = Z-28
    *the trans am is has more luxury options and a few different body parts (raised spoiler, front fascia, and a few optional little body pieces for aesthetics that somebody listed out for me once but I don't remember) Thus the trans am is supposed to be seen as classier/a step up from a regular formula or Z-28, but b/c of the other options and luxury items its between 200 to 300 lbs heavier depending on what all you get.
    WS6 = SS
    firehawk = GOD
    I don't know how good SS's wi/ all the SLP from the factory are but the firehawk WAS rated at 345 rwhp and DID have a better suspension than a factory SS or WS6.
    And whoever was talking about the car that the Ford dealer had, yes it was prolly a blackbird, yes they do exist, yes they are very rare, I do believe that there were different packages out that gave it different horsepower and 430 was probably the top of the line one, and yes blackbirds are kickass

Awaiting Activation
    [QUOTE=nhraformula]not meaning to piss off any hawk owners, but its an overpriced trans am[/QUOTE

Not to piss off any NHRA owners, so are the NHRA cars as well. There basically a reg trans am with a bunch of stickers on em. kinda like a ricer

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by iLIKEtransAMS
    ok, not trying to step on any toes here, but whoever says that the firehawk is equal to an SS is a dumbass.
    firebird = camaro
    formula = Z-28
    trans am = Z-28
    *the trans am is has more luxury options and a few different body parts (raised spoiler, front fascia, and a few optional little body pieces for aesthetics that somebody listed out for me once but I don't remember) Thus the trans am is supposed to be seen as classier/a step up from a regular formula or Z-28, but b/c of the other options and luxury items its between 200 to 300 lbs heavier depending on what all you get.
    WS6 = SS
    firehawk = GOD
    I don't know how good SS's wi/ all the SLP from the factory are but the firehawk WAS rated at 345 rwhp and DID have a better suspension than a factory SS or WS6.
    And whoever was talking about the car that the Ford dealer had, yes it was prolly a blackbird, yes they do exist, yes they are very rare, I do believe that there were different packages out that gave it different horsepower and 430 was probably the top of the line one, and yes blackbirds are kickass
    SLP SS and Firehawk Both have same package options and were 345HP the last year, diph put it best
    ws.6 = factory SS [not all ss's are optioned out]
    firehawk = SLP SS
    also the Trans am came standard with more luxury options, the formula can have them all also. Main difference is what comes standard and the body style. WS6 and factory SS's both had suspension upgrades, but not as good as SLP, still not as good as the Aftermarket. One more time Here's the Run Down...
    4th Gen's
    Firebird = Camaro
    Firebird GT = Camaro RS
    Trans AM = Formula = Z28

WS6 option for trans am's and formulas(up to 00)
    Offered Ram Air and a Suspension package

Factory SS Offered Ram Air and a Suspension package

SLP Firehawk and SS offered Better sway bars, LCA's, PHR, yet still stamped steel. Shocks and progressive spring rates, Auburn differentials, Better airbox, Special Tires and Rims, Exhaust, a synthetic lube package for the whole car, mats, commerative info, plaques, ect... Roughly a 4-10k package added to the dealer invoice. Here's a good read

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...rticleId=43941

1966 Corvette Coupe

sorry guys, but there is no way you will convince me that a ws6 is an ss equivalent... in the power department... prolly... but its not all about power... they are numbered cars and pretty rare cars at that... they were available from slp (sorry didnt know that they all didnt come from there, but were all fire hawks? you said 800 of each... i should know how many FH's were made per year, but thats knowledge taht has exacped me, im thinking around 1500/yr in the ls1 years)... you might convince me that the ss is between the ws6 and the firehawk, but it still holds true that you could get anything on an ss that you could a wu6 (unless im missing something)...

auburn rear end... bilstien suspension... slp loud mouth... and both cam with cosmetic differences...

-me

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by predator
    sorry guys, but there is no way you will convince me that a ws6 is an ss equivalent... in the power department... prolly... but its not all about power... they are numbered cars and pretty rare cars at that... they were available from slp (sorry didnt know that they all didnt come from there, but were all fire hawks? you said 800 of each... i should know how many FH's were made per year, but thats knowledge taht has exacped me, im thinking around 1500/yr in the ls1 years)... you might convince me that the ss is between the ws6 and the firehawk, but it still holds true that you could get anything on an ss that you could a wu6 (unless im missing something)...

auburn rear end... bilstien suspension... slp loud mouth... and both cam with cosmetic differences...

-me
    All were sayin is that the SS's that came from the factory, not SLP are equivalent to the WS6

1966 Corvette Coupe

how do you know if its slp or factory? is it still a wu8? is it still numbered? and y isnt this more common knowledge? or have i just been missing out this whole time?

-me

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by predator
    how do you know if its slp or factory? is it still a wu8? is it still numbered? and y isnt this more common knowledge? or have i just been missing out this whole time?

-me
    SLP's have a buildsheet and are numbered. I don't know about the factory ones or the build code, its in one of my older magazines talking about the SS's that weren't done by SLP, when I get back from atlanta I'll look it up

Black/Gold....Now Sold...
    10th Anny. Firehawk #001

Diph had a good start, so here's a few more pictures of Hawks. My 10th Anniversary and an LT4.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

[QUOTE=BLKbandit98]
    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula
    not meaning to piss off any hawk owners, but its an overpriced trans am[/QUOTE

Not to piss off any NHRA owners, so are the NHRA cars as well. There basically a reg trans am with a bunch of stickers on em. kinda like a ricer
    by youre thinking, the non optioned firehawk is the king of rice then.
    the 1sh nhra rpo is not just decals.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    2002 Trans Am

I like the 91-92 hawks the best. I've got a soft spot in my heart for third gens, though.

[QUOTE=MadSeason]SLP SS and Firehawk Both have same package options and were 345HP the last year, diph put it best

also the Trans am came standard with more luxury options, the formula can have them all also. Main difference is what comes standard and the body style. WS6 and factory SS's both had suspension upgrades, but not as good as SLP, still not as good as the Aftermarket. One more time Here's the Run Down...
    4th Gen's
    Firebird = Camaro
    Firebird GT = Camaro RS
    Trans AM = Formula = Z28

WS6 option for trans am's and formulas(up to 00)
    Offered Ram Air and a Suspension package

Factory SS Offered Ram Air and a Suspension package

SLP Firehawk and SS offered Better sway bars, LCA's, PHR, yet still stamped steel. Shocks and progressive spring rates, Auburn differentials, Better airbox, Special Tires and Rims, Exhaust, a synthetic lube package for the whole car, mats, commerative info, plaques, ect... Roughly a 4-10k package added to the dealer invoice. Here's a good read

thank you for clarifying. Your knowledge far surpasses mine

Black
    1999 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    ok, pissin match time...

firebird camaro
    trans am or formy = z28
    ws.6 = factory SS [not all ss's are optioned out]
    firehawk = SLP SS
    I agree
    Firebird=Camaro
    Trans Am=Z28
    WS6= Stock SS
    Firehawk=SS(All SLP Options)

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Wow there is a LOT of misinformation in this thread.

This is absolutely correct:

Quote Originally Posted by 99vette
    I agree
    Firebird=Camaro
    Trans Am=Z28
    WS6= Stock SS
    Firehawk=SS(All SLP Options)
    And yes... you COULD get a Z28 with with manual windows and cloth interior (in earlier years), that would make it also equivalent to the Formula Firebird... which was v8 in the base car.

Now... ALL SS's went to SLP. A "factory" SS is a WU8 on top of a Z28. These cars went to SLP for the hood and the spoiler upfit. These cars had the same suspension and exhaust as the factory WS6. Now, an SS could have been optioned with "SLP Options"... for this you will also see RPO Y2Y on the car. This is how an SS could get the optional rear, suspension, airlid, and exhaust packages. The way to know for sure, there is a second sticker content invoice with the car AND a sticker on the passenger side door that lists the SLP modifications.

A Firehawk is technically not a GM product, it is an SLP product sold via GM. The Hawks were built on either Formula or Trans Am cars and received the hood, exhaust, lid, basic suspension upgrade (roughly equivalent to WS6) and wheels as 'standard' equipment. A Firehawk could be optioned with the extra suspension and rear options, same as the Y2Y SS cars.

Both SS's and Firehawks carried full GM 3/36 warranties on all GM parts, and a separate SLP 3/36 warranty on SLP parts. The SLP warranty was honored at GM dealerships, often with a lot of arguing with dealer shops that were not "in the know"

Make sense? It's confusing.

To make it worse, you had GMMG building a lot of aftermarket cars... these are your Blackbirds, Tom Henry SS, Berger SS, etc. These cars are not technically GM vehicles, and I'm not sure how warranty was handled on them... they were technically 'dealer upfit' cars... and waaaaay out of my price range.

go to ebay and look at camaros for sale. there is a 2002 Dale Earnhardt Intimidator edition SS with 435 horses.lots of pictures.this is probably chevys answer to the blackbird.

1994 POS

i'm lazy, post the item # please

1966 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ram air rob
    go to ebay and look at camaros for sale. there is a 2002 Dale Earnhardt Intimidator edition SS with 435 horses.lots of pictures.this is probably chevys answer to the blackbird.
    well it was earnhardt chevrolets answer... prolly a stage 2... stage 1 was 381 hp iirc... if its signed that thing is gonna be worth some cash some day...

-me

p.s. www.gmmginc.net

Door-To-Door Pipelayer DJ Red Barron's Avatar

86 Buick GNx - Black
    08 Jeep GC SRT8 - SBM

Quote Originally Posted by 345hpss
    Wow there is a LOT of misinformation in this thread.

This is absolutely correct:

And yes... you COULD get a Z28 with with manual windows and cloth interior (in earlier years), that would make it also equivalent to the Formula Firebird... which was v8 in the base car.

Now... ALL SS's went to SLP. A "factory" SS is a WU8 on top of a Z28. These cars went to SLP for the hood and the spoiler upfit. These cars had the same suspension and exhaust as the factory WS6. Now, an SS could have been optioned with "SLP Options"... for this you will also see RPO Y2Y on the car. This is how an SS could get the optional rear, suspension, airlid, and exhaust packages. The way to know for sure, there is a second sticker content invoice with the car AND a sticker on the passenger side door that lists the SLP modifications.

A Firehawk is technically not a GM product, it is an SLP product sold via GM. The Hawks were built on either Formula or Trans Am cars and received the hood, exhaust, lid, basic suspension upgrade (roughly equivalent to WS6) and wheels as 'standard' equipment. A Firehawk could be optioned with the extra suspension and rear options, same as the Y2Y SS cars.

Both SS's and Firehawks carried full GM 3/36 warranties on all GM parts, and a separate SLP 3/36 warranty on SLP parts. The SLP warranty was honored at GM dealerships, often with a lot of arguing with dealer shops that were not "in the know"

Make sense? It's confusing.

To make it worse, you had GMMG building a lot of aftermarket cars... these are your Blackbirds, Tom Henry SS, Berger SS, etc. These cars are not technically GM vehicles, and I'm not sure how warranty was handled on them... they were technically 'dealer upfit' cars... and waaaaay out of my price range.
    Excellent info. And yes.... Dealing with SLP on a warranty issue was a PITA big time.

Black
    02 Z06

ok I'm not going to make my own thread for it. But why do some firehawks have raised wings and others don't? Because I'm looking into buying a 02 firehawk.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information