Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What was the easiest, and hardest job youve done on your TA?

This is a discussion on What was the easiest, and hardest job youve done on your TA? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Easiest- Putting the LS1 warning sticker on the visor Hardest- Changing the damn clutch. By myself, no tranny jack. AND, ...

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Easiest- Putting the LS1 warning sticker on the visor
    Hardest- Changing the damn clutch. By myself, no tranny jack. AND, not knowing you have to put the bellhousing in FIRST, then the tranny.
    Headers were easy, slid right in.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Easiest- Putting the LS1 warning sticker on the visor
    Hardest- Changing the damn clutch. By myself, no tranny jack. AND, not knowing you have to put the bellhousing in FIRST, then the tranny.
    Headers were easy, slid right in.
    You can add me to that list.......Every self help book & mechanic said I had to drop it & install with the bell housing on the tranny. I wasted 2 hrs dropping it & 3 hours trying to get it back on. I got so damn pissed off I threw the book out of the bay, told the shop helper that was not so much help to took a 5 min break for a snickers & a Dr Pepper (sorry I don't smoke, probably would have if someone had one). Went back into the bay looked at the BH & tranny and said f@#$ this!! Took the BH off and had the tranny back in in 10 mins. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

Lucky for my niece & son they were smart enough not to ask or point out why we didn't try this 4 hrs prior.

After dropping it 3 times now, I can have it the down to the fly wheel off in hr & 15 mins with my son 7 and have it back installed in hr and a half.

But as painful as this was to do the front shock/springs are still the worse job I've done.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

I dont think plugs are that bad. Then again I never did them with the stock manifolds.

Easiest besides the mods a monkey can do would be ls1-ls6 intake. If you take your time its pretty simple.

Hardest would have to be the clutch. I had the same problems that Mr. Luos had it sounds like

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    You can add me to that list.......Every self help book & mechanic said I had to drop it & install with the bell housing on the tranny. I wasted 2 hrs dropping it & 3 hours trying to get it back on. I got so damn pissed off I threw the book out of the bay, told the shop helper that was not so much help to took a 5 min break for a snickers & a Dr Pepper (sorry I don't smoke, probably would have if someone had one). Went back into the bay looked at the BH & tranny and said f@#$ this!! Took the BH off and had the tranny back in in 10 mins. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

Lucky for my niece & son they were smart enough not to ask or point out why we didn't try this 4 hrs prior.

After dropping it 3 times now, I can have it the down to the fly wheel off in hr & 15 mins with my son 7 and have it back installed in hr and a half.

But as painful as this was to do the front shock/springs are still the worse job I've done.
    Yeah the clutch swap isnt bad just time consuming, messy, and awkward if you dont have a lift...

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I got lucky on the front shocks,too. Didn't have that rusted problem everyone else has. And I picked up a MacPherson spring tool for cheap. I'm holding on to that tool.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

And yeah, I actually creased the inside of my tunnel pushing on that stupid bellhousing with the tranny attached. I actually slid the whole car forward on the jack stands I was pushing so hard. That is what finally made me stop and rethink the problem. I am always trying to "gorilla" things. I remember sliding the whole car sideways on the stands one time, too. Turns out the rear sheel studs are "torqued" , and the rear wheels only fit on in one position. I put my back against the garage wall, and pushed. Car slid. I stopped, changed my shorts, then figured it out. Gorilla wrenching. Reminds me of when I changed the wheel hubs on a 94 Grand Am. Turns out you need a special bit to remove the bolts that hold in the front shocks. But, the nut is a regular Metric. I said fuck it, and tightened the nuts till they twisted off, and bought new bolts. It was cheaper than buying the tool. Gorilla wrenching.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by doublea87 View Post
    easiest job for my TA i guess would be lid or short stick swap

hardest job.. FLYCUTTING!!! by far a huge pain in the @$$ pulled the motor for that and swapped in some poly mounts while at it.

Flycutting what?

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    And yeah, I actually creased the inside of my tunnel pushing on that stupid bellhousing with the tranny attached. I actually slid the whole car forward on the jack stands I was pushing so hard. That is what finally made me stop and rethink the problem. I am always trying to "gorilla" things. I remember sliding the whole car sideways on the stands one time, too. Turns out the rear sheel studs are "torqued" , and the rear wheels only fit on in one position. I put my back against the garage wall, and pushed. Car slid. I stopped, changed my shorts, then figured it out. Gorilla wrenching. Reminds me of when I changed the wheel hubs on a 94 Grand Am. Turns out you need a special bit to remove the bolts that hold in the front shocks. But, the nut is a regular Metric. I said fuck it, and tightened the nuts till they twisted off, and bought new bolts. It was cheaper than buying the tool. Gorilla wrenching.

Sliding the tranny back in the 2nd time I cracked the BH. Major feast.......That was a $550 mistake. But it justified having a QT SFI BH Bright side is I'll never again have to worry about my block if the clutch grenades.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Sliding the tranny back in the 2nd time I cracked the BH. Major feast.......That was a $550 mistake. But it justified having a QT SFI BH Bright side is I'll never again have to worry about my block if the clutch grenades.
    You are even more ignorant and hard headed than I am. You actually cracked the bh? Wow. You had to have been using a Hi Lift jack to push on it that hard. Damn man.

Navy Blue Metallic

Nope, my "helper" tried pulling the tranny onto the BH by tightening the bolts while I went to take a piss. Needless to say "helper" was told and was lucky to walk away.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Flycutting what?

flycutting my pistons for piston to valve clearance when installing some new heads that was milled. in a garage with no lift. couldnt explain how shaky i was when making my first cut

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Ok. That makes sense. Your original post threw me as I couldn't come up with anything that you would be flycutting during the course of a routine mod.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Easiest: Shock Tower Brace.

Hardest: Torque Arm. There's really only 5 or 6 nuts and bolts but I had one hell of a time removing the clamshell and then rivets that hold in the factory bushings. It would most likely be a piece of cake with a proper lift, but I had to make do with creeper and jack stands. I figure I now qualify to do dental work after manipulating my Dremel tool and cutting wheel.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Easiest = shift knob, I guess.

I've done so much, I'm not sure what the hardest would be...motor swap? roll cage? nitrous?

I'm starting to hate these Weld Prostars...I've spent 3 hours grinding one caliper and the damn wheels still won't fit on the rear

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I'm starting to hate these Weld Prostars...I've spent 3 hours grinding one caliper and the damn wheels still won't fit on the rear
    I also had to grind the caliper bracket, spend a weekend doing mine. That is top on my list for the biggest pain in the ass mod.

LPM
    2000 Z28

Easiest - catch can or shifter. (lid was a pita to get over maf)

Hardest- either tracing all the factory amp and speaker wires all the way back to the stereo harness or convincing myself to cut on the block for my ls6 VCT.

Needless to say, nothing too difficult yet. N2O in a month or so, so that may make the list

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

LPM
    2000 Z28

Kind of surprised no one has said master cylinder yet lol. Not the easiest thing to reach

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by derekbuckner1 View Post
    Kind of surprised no one has said master cylinder yet lol. Not the easiest thing to reach
    I did mine, but it's not even in my top 5 of hardest to do. Here's a pic my wife took of me installing mine:

LPM
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I did mine, but it's not even in my top 5 of hardest to do. Here's a pic my wife took of me installing mine:

Click for full size
    Lol it's pictures like this that made me think it would make the list.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

haha nice i bet that was really uncomfortable!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information