Black
    79 Trans Am

What do you think of these 2 cars?

2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS-6

1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Between the 2 the first one is more of what I am looking for(low miles/M6) however how worried should I be about a salvage title? I did a KBB search and the car is 12Kplus in value before the salvage title. What are your thoughts concerns on these 2 cars?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I'd inspect the 2000 carefully, find out exactly what was fixed. I'd lean more towards the 2000 if it checks out.

Black
    79 Trans Am

Yeah I will ask for receipts and such. Would you recommend taking it into a body shop and have them inspect it?

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 79TransAm View Post
    Yeah I will ask for receipts and such. Would you recommend taking it into a body shop and have them inspect it?
    I would.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post
    I would.
    Ditto.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Check what "salvage Title" means in your state. Most states it means that the vehicle has been total out and needs to be inspected by a State Official for road worthiness.

What are your plans for the car? Track or other.

I ask because if it was to be a track only car then you know you're going to do heavy mods to the frame and structure like roll cage and SFC's

Other - I'd go over it with a fine tooth comb. Some things can look ok but are fatal flaws.

Price for both are way high.

98 - 3 yrs ago I got mine for almost the same mileage (this one has more then what mine had but not by much) for $6500

00' - He's asking for average KBB value. Salvage titles should drop that asking price much more then what he's asking.

Looking at the work and checking receipts are very good idea.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 79TransAm View Post
    That would be one of the best investments you could make. Independent, impartial and not in love with the vehicle. "The whole truth, so help you God".
    Also your appraiser will always try to find "something" to justify his fee and make you feel it was money well spent.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

The gaps on the 2000 look good, make sure it doesn't have a lean to one side. Also if it was professionally done then why is the paint on the front bumper so dull? Or does it even have paint? Check it over with a scanner too and make sure the SES light isn't turned off and also ask about the airbags.

I got my WS.6 a with a salvage tittle too about 3 yrs ago. She is a 2002, only had 47k miles and I got her for $8k...

Black
    79 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Check what "salvage Title" means in your state. Most states it means that the vehicle has been total out and needs to be inspected by a State Official for road worthiness.

What are your plans for the car? Track or other.

I ask because if it was to be a track only car then you know you're going to do heavy mods to the frame and structure like roll cage and SFC's

Other - I'd go over it with a fine tooth comb. Some things can look ok but are fatal flaws.

Price for both are way high.

98 - 3 yrs ago I got mine for almost the same mileage (this one has more then what mine had but not by much) for $6500

00' - He's asking for average KBB value. Salvage titles should drop that asking price much more then what he's asking.

Looking at the work and checking receipts are very good idea.
    kbb.com has the 00 at over 12k

Excellent
    $12,689

Very Good
    $12,339

Good
    $12,139

Fair
    $11,289

Also I spoke via text to the guy selling the 02 he said he has owned the car for 4 years and bought it out of NY. Said the bumper was not painted and is a flat black. Said he liked the way it looked and his budget was close to max so he left it that way.

Also this car won't be a daily driver but will not be a trailer/garage queen either. I prefer to drive my cars, now as far as the track I can't say that I would ever take it there and if I did it one probably be a 1 time thing. I have driven the 98 before and I know I could get it for 7500 if not 7K.
    here is a picture of the damage done to the 00. I also learned that it was registered in 2009 and not again until march of this year. My concern is that it sat until it was registered this year and they discovered a problem with it and want to sell now.

Last edited by 79TransAm; 05-23-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Black
    79 Trans Am

here is an email I got from the seller regarding his history of the car

"I have receipt that shows I got the car on 2-10-07. Shortly after that I got another one, 2001 model for the front end parts. I took both cars to a place recommended to me called "Bee Line Automotive" in Schofield. I can find no receipt for that but it was about $2000. I drove the car during the summers of 07 - 10, and put on about 9000 miles. I did not register the car for last summer because I was building onto my house and knew I would have no free weekends to drive around and enjoy it. My mini van, daily driver, is ready to die, so I am using the Trans Am as my daily driver for now until it sells. I would like to keep it and save it as a low miles car, but can't justify borrowing the money for a daily driver while the TA sits in the shed. Hope this clears up my story."

Thread Information