Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

What do you think of this?

This is a discussion on What do you think of this? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 1998 T/A Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS When you're 500+ to the wheels and using Mickey Thompson's, you'll ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    When you're 500+ to the wheels and using Mickey Thompson's, you'll think differently.
    My car will never put down that amount of power while I won it, no sense dropping 4k on a rear for a bolt on car...at least in my opinion.
    I paid $2300 installed, but I understand. Different strokes for different folks. It's all good.
    It's on jackstands.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Refractor View Post
    Thanks for everyone responses! I also forgot to mention that I will be replacing the gears, I was thinking along the line on 3.73's for automatic? I also will check out some of UMI suspension! @ AVN-SS How is the SLP loudmouth without headers? I wont be getting headers for awhile just catback & Y-pipe for now.
    With stock manifolds, I loved how the SLP Loudmouth II sounded. No experience with the Loudmouth I though.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yep, just change the "BMR" to "UMI" and you got it.
    SMWS6TA likes this.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I didn't see it listed but think one of the best mods i did at the beginning was adding subframe connectors.

Also had lm1 on my car and after headers i loved it. But i was the only one. .. neighbors, wife, coworkers thought i was an ass
    SMWS6TA likes this.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I did some off brand sub frame connectors (weld in) they are going on 2 years and not a single issue. I think off brand stuff versus UMI/BMR etc.. only matters to a certain degree.
    Last edited by 1998 T/A; 08-04-2015 at 07:31 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Some things I keep in mind are: 1) UMI put in the time, effort, and money to design, test, and develop their products. 2) They were around before these knock-off companies came to fruition and will be around long after. 3) They are a stand-up group that will always back their products. 4) Their customer service is top notch. 5) Their HQ'd in the USA. 6) They reinvest their profits back into the business to continue to develop new and better products for us. 7) They are a sponsor for our site which helps pay to keep it running and allows us all to interact and be a part of this community.

You're paying for all those things I mention above and peace of mind. Sometimes it comes with a higher price tag, not always though.

It's a similar situation as the BMR lowering springs vs. Sam's. Most people stayed true to Sam bc they felt BMR was in the wrong for copying his lowering spring, even though the spring rate is slightly different.

UMI - how about a good price for me on the remaining suspension components I need? Lol.
    pajeff02 likes this.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Someone in the similar position as you ( freshly purchased car, wanting to mod ), do everything the right way the first time. Get the UMI stuff, and leave the Y pipe alone until you get the longtube headers. Waste of money at this point. You will end up replacing a replacement Y pipe with another for the longtubes fitment.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I went with 3.73's for our A4 equipped car and they work great. Honestly, I could have gone just a bit steeper since we do track our car. The general consensus though is to upgrade to 3.73's for autos.
    I would think that any shorter of a ratio (ie 4.10's and up) on a 7 5/8" would have gear teeth that would be too thin/small to handle a good amount of grunt, and make an already weak set-up even weaker.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

What it boils down to is steel is steel and welds are welds, plain and simple. Lesser brand name sfc's is not as big of a deal as everyone is alluding to.
    98' Trans AM RIP

00' WS6/Black/Pacesetter LT's/Magnaflow Exhaust/SLP lid/Nick Williams 92mm TB/FAST 92 Intake/BMR Strut Tower Brace/BMR Rear LCA's/BMR Panhard Bar

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What it boils down to is steel is steel and welds are welds, plain and simple.
    Being a degreed engineer and working in the manufacturing and production fields my entire adult life, which included being a design engineer with extensive finite element analysis for over a decade and working in a test lab environment testing various metals and design of products and how they fail, I'll add some additional comments.

There are numerous types of steel and finishes. A36, 1040, 1045, etc. hot rolled, cold rolled, cold drawn, killed, etc. Physical properties of different types of steel are different. Mechanical properties are different. Yield strength, tensile strength, hardness, elasticity, etc. are different. I could go on and on.

There are numerous types of processes to welding and numerous standards to welding. Size of welds. Base materials used, etc. Prepping. Temperatures. Etc.

A weld is a weld and steel is steel....not so much really.

Just my opinion of course and I'm probably wrong.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I would think that any shorter of a ratio (ie 4.10's and up) on a 7 5/8" would have gear teeth that would be too thin/small to handle a good amount of grunt, and make an already weak set-up even weaker.
    On the 10 bolt like you mention, you're correct. Jeff has a 12 bolt and it probably wouldn't make much of a difference in his case.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Being a degreed engineer and working in the manufacturing and production fields my entire adult life, which included being a design engineer with extensive finite element analysis for over a decade and working in a test lab environment testing various metals and design of products and how they fail, I'll add some additional comments.

There are numerous types of steel and finishes. A36, 1040, 1045, etc. hot rolled, cold rolled, cold drawn, killed, etc. Physical properties of different types of steel are different. Mechanical properties are different. Yield strength, tensile strength, hardness, elasticity, etc. are different. I could go on and on.

There are numerous types of processes to welding and numerous standards to welding. Size of welds. Base materials used, etc. Prepping. Temperatures. Etc.

A weld is a weld and steel is steel....not so much really.

Just my opinion of course and I'm probably wrong.
    I don't doubt your knowledge on steel or engineering but they are sub frame connectors not a sky scrapper.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I don't doubt your knowledge on steel or engineering but they are sub frame connectors not a sky scrapper.
    While I understand what you are saying, I have to agree with 35th on this one. These aren't supporting skyscrapers, but quality (both in material and labor) make a difference. I had a set of sub-frame connectors on the '89 that I owned develop rust damage in three years, and it wasnt from poor welding.

If I pay a few extra dollars for higher quality material and labor that isnt going to fail and I only have to install once, I'm doing it. It's a different story if labor and material are equivalent, but one has to do that comparison first.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

going on 2 years with "X brand" SFC's and not a single issue. Paid 99 for the pair versus 229 BMR/UMI. I'll let you guys know when they fall off.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ That last sentence cracked me up.

Anything is better than better than nothing when it comes to stiffening these cars up.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree. For subframe connectors since they're an "add-on" item, them falling off won't really hurt anything, unless they catapult through the floorboard lol.

Orange Metalic
    2006 GTO

Thanks once again for everyone who answered my questions! Unfortunately something came up with the WS6 with the dealership I purchased it from . Long story short I now have a 2006 GTO!

- - - Updated - - -

Please close thread?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Welcome!!!....I like and have KooKs Lts and Magnaflow exhaust-well built and great mellow sound untill you open it up...BUT...i will admit at times i wish it were a lil louder(you know especially when another ride pulls up with a lil more oomf) thats why i want to get some cut-outs to make it loud when i want it mellow when i dont?....JMO...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No need to close the thread.

Congrats on the GTO!

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I'd love to hear that long story. From what I understand you had already purchased the trans am?? What happened that they tossed you a gto instead

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information