Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

What do you think?

I am going out on Saturday to possibly buy this car. What do you think, does the engine sound good? It has headers and a cam and an exhaust. Let me know what you guys think, I am having the car checked over by a GM dealer before I buy it too. Thanks, Sid.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

no link

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Oops. Sorry

Here it is.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4j7vQHnIZg[/ame]
    Last edited by Beck2013; 02-01-2011 at 04:40 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounded like some piston slap for sure and it smokes which could mean it needs a valve job. One thing I noticed that would concern me are the rear calipers are painted and the fronts aren't. I'm sure they were replaced or something like that but it'd immediately make me think whoever did that tends to half ass a lot of stuff. I would definitely have that car looked over by a mechanic. Cars with mods are a gamble anyhow.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

there is also tint on the drivers window and not on the passenger window. OP i'm from osceola and have quite a few fbody guys that hang out.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

How much would a valve job cost me? Cosmetically the car is in pretty good shape, I am a perfectionist but can't spend a lot of money, I do work at a GM dealer so I can get things a little cheaper. Thanks guys, Sid.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Beck2013 View Post
    How much would a valve job cost me? Cosmetically the car is in pretty good shape, I am a perfectionist but can't spend a lot of money, I do work at a GM dealer so I can get things a little cheaper. Thanks guys, Sid.
    What GM dealer do you work at?

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Valve job could be expensive. If you do. Your self is alot cheaper. I need the valve seals on mine. Parts & labor is $700 for me. But I'm gonna wait since I want to rebuild the engine.
    But good luck on whatever u decide
    If the price is right go for it
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I just listened to that again. I don't believe that was piston slap. Right at initial start up it sounds like the lifters are slapping....at least one is and then it sounds more like valvetrain noise. I don't know man....you add all that up and it'd probably scare me away. Have some one look at it though because a video and mic amplifies stuff funny sometimes.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    What GM dealer do you work at?
    I work at Gates Chevrolet in Mishawaka. You may know Asher with the Red Camaro SS that I work with.

The price is $8,200. Is that low enough? Is is not a true WS6 but it has basically been converted, the original owner did the conversion and the second owner added the aftermarket parts. I am okay with it not being a true WS6 because it is cheaper on insurance. Its a AT, I wanted a M6 but for this price, I figured if it checks out at the dealer I'll go for it, I can always replace it in a few years with a lower mileage M6.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I work at Gates Chevrolet in Mishawaka. You may know Asher with the Red Camaro SS that I work with.

The price is $8,200. Is that low enough? Is is not a true WS6 but it has basically been converted, the original owner did the conversion and the second owner added the aftermarket parts. I am okay with it not being a true WS6 because it is cheaper on insurance. Its a AT, I wanted a M6 but for this price, I figured if it checks out at the dealer I'll go for it, I can always replace it in a few years with a lower mileage M6.
    oh yes i know asher. he's one of my best friends. you also work with my dad.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Who is your dad?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Who is your dad?
    Brian Rodgers. He's in the Body Shop Office

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Ya, My parents always use Brian for body work on their cars. I was gonna say, your car looked familiar.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Ya, My parents always use Brian for body work on their cars. I was gonna say, your car looked familiar.
    yea. how long have you been at Gates. I am there all the time when I am in town. I know just about everyone there

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Is piston slap or the lifters slapping common on a cold start up? I purposely got an appointment at a GM dealer 20 miles away so I can tell if it goes away or not. I'm not as knowledgeable with engines as I should be, what could the fix for a valve train noise be? Lifters slapping fix? Thanks, Sid.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    yea. how long have you been at Gates. I am there all the time when I am in town. I know just about everyone there
    I have been there since last March, I work in detail now, through the summer I worked in the service department.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'm a little on the fence with this one. The price is pretty good, but considering the valvetrain noise (if thats what it turns out to be) you could be in for some $$$ repairs unless you can do it your self. Plus with headers and a cam, that auto trans could be on its way out. They aren't the strongest in stock form, but some have better luck then others.
    Ask if the trans has been rebuilt/beefed up.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Car sounds fine to me, noise could be serpintine tensioner but I'd wouldn't buy a car from any asshole that slams the hood shut like that.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I'd wouldn't buy a car from any asshole that slams the hood shut like that.
    that bothered me too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information