Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

what do you think?

This is a discussion on what do you think? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Yeah. It would seem more logical to take a TA and convert it to a ws7 rather than taking a ...

Impounded
    Yeah. It would seem
    more logical to take a TA and convert it to a ws7 rather than taking a firebird and doing the same..
    Ill have to look at some standard TAs... See what i can find. Thanks guys

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm personally not a fan of clones...even more so on newer cars.

For instance...when people put on the aftermarket checkered flag stickers on their cars and try to call them a 35th LE

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I'm personally not a fan of clones...even more so on newer cars.

For instance...when people put on the aftermarket checkered flag stickers on their cars and try to call them a 35th LE
    Im not really a fan of clones either. But I dont call my car a WS-6. The only body mod it has is the after market hood and it looks like a WS-6. I have however watched Barrett-Jackson and have seen on several occasions where they have a clone of some type and it will bring more money than the factory original that comes right after it. Doesnt make any sense to me.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    If you have the money to convert a Firebird into a WS6...I'd just buy a WS6 the cost of the firebird and all the parts to go into it will probably cost as much as a decent WS6 plus its not a clone
    Yup. You're looking at a grand or more for the hood and paint, then finding the wheels will prob cost you at least 4 or 500 bucks, plus all the suspension bits.

And you still won't have that WS6 digit in the VIN. And IMO the whole WS7 concept is dumb. Nobody outside the hobby will get it, and it just adds another tacky badge to the car that you'll be explaining all the time.

On the other hand, damn near EVERYBODY knows WS6, some people I know even refer to my Formula as a WS6 (I've given up on correcting them).

Plus Like 9T8W66 said, all the aftermarket stuff is better. Ten years ago when these were new the WS6 stuff was good, but now the aftermarket is so far past that, plus now all the original stuff is used and worn out anyway.

Just be happy having a T/A, or Formula, or whatever you get.
    If you end up wtih a WS6 great, but don't go crazy looking for, or cloning one.

Impounded
    haha yeah...i went crazy looking for mine...looked for 4 months...
    thats a long time of borrowing moms car on friday nights. :$
    i was a little obsessive and picky... but patience determination and luck paid off...

Quote Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
    Im not really a fan of clones either. But I dont call my car a WS-6. The only body mod it has is the after market hood and it looks like a WS-6. I have however watched Barrett-Jackson and have seen on several occasions where they have a clone of some type and it will bring more money than the factory original that comes right after it. Doesnt make any sense to me.
    It makes more sense if you go to Barrett-Jackson in person. It depends on the particular car being cloned, and the quality to which it is done. If you see some of these cars in person you can start to understand why some bring big money and others are a bit soft. The quality just isn't there on some of them, or incorrect parts are used.
    Alot of things like that you can't tell on the TV screen.

Silence Is Not Golden. stolenthunder's Avatar

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

I have no problem adding the "WS6 style" hood and Ram Air box to a non WS6 car. It makes the car look wicked and serves an actual function. How much HP is added could be debated, but the design is there for a reason and is an actual upgrade. It's not just to play "dress up".

When a jaguar full of hot chicks stops to tell me how nice my car is, I don't keep them there to explain that it isn't a real factory WS6 and try to convince them that it's some sort of clone and therefore unworthy of their gracious compliments.

Of course, my wife would kill me in my sleep with one of my own weapons if I tried to have any sort of conversation with a jaguar full of hot chicks in the first place. Moot point.

Chris

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by stolenthunder View Post
    I have no problem adding the "WS6 style" hood and Ram Air box to a non WS6 car. It makes the car look wicked and serves an actual function. How much HP is added could be debated, but the design is there for a reason and is an actual upgrade. It's not just to play "dress up".

When a jaguar full of hot chicks stops to tell me how nice my car is, I don't keep them there to explain that it isn't a real factory WS6 and try to convince them that it's some sort of clone and therefore unworthy of their gracious compliments.

Of course, my wife would kill me in my sleep with one of my own weapons if I tried to have any sort of conversation with a jaguar full of hot chicks in the first place. Moot point.

Chris
    LS1.com still needs a "Like" button

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Quote Originally Posted by stolenthunder View Post

Dude you nailed it. If someone added a cowl hood to their classic car is it frowned upon? If an F-Body has Corvette wheels on it, is it now looked at as a Corvette wanna be? Appearance mods are exactly that, just don't try and claim your car is something that it's not. That's about as bad as lieing about your hd/tq numbers. I give people credit for stating that a car is a clone because at least they are honest about the fact. There's a dude on a local forum who did what the OP is asking about and dropped a 408 in it and can tear up most of the F-Bodies in the area, (including mine). No claims of it being an WS6 or 7, just fast. Besides, the average Joe is gonna call your car a Camaro anyways.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I agree as long as you don't "claim" you have a WS6 or a 35th LE when in fact you don't.

Also, I find it pretty stupid looking to have Corvette stickers on brake calipers and Corvette FRCs on a TransAm or Camaro. Just speaking my personal opinion.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    Besides, the average Joe is gonna call your car a Camaro anyways.

Had a Porsche owner ask me if my car was a Camaro a few weeks back...

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Also, I find it pretty stupid looking to have Corvette stickers on brake calipers and Corvette FRCs on a TransAm or Camaro. Just speaking my personal opinion.
    i would go a step further and say corvette wheels installed on an f-body is pretty stupid looking, outside of the zr1 5-stars that came on the cars from the factory.

i have never seen wheels look so bad and be so overplayed on an f-body than c5/c6 vette/zo6 rims......yet people still do it...

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    i would go a step further and say corvette wheels installed on an f-body is pretty stupid looking, outside of the zr1 5-stars that came on the cars from the factory.

i have never seen wheels look so bad and be so overplayed on an f-body than c5/c6 vette/zo6 rims......yet people still do it...
    With everyone doing it,,,how can it be wrong

Guess you feel the same way about vette wheels as I do about black wheels. Everyone doing it but I can't seem to grasp a reason why

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    Thank You I couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Some people are just followers.

Also Stolen Thunder, The hoods are for looks since they serve no purpose when driving at legal speeds. Above 100 mph the power increase is negligable.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

Guess you feel the same way about vette wheels as I do about black wheels. Everyone doing it but I can't seem to grasp a reason why
    don't get me started on my hatred of black rims...

i'll end up getting more ink...

Silence Is Not Golden. stolenthunder's Avatar

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Also Stolen Thunder, The hoods are for looks since they serve no purpose when driving at legal speeds. Above 100 mph the power increase is negligable.
    I've seriously considered your comments and put a street-legal 70 MPH speed limiter on my car. I have no legal reason for going any faster and I am clearly an ignorant person trying to imitate the aggressive styling of true, WS6 labeled cars. Something that I now (thankfully) realize I have no right to do.

If I can get the clear plastic visor off of my instrument panel, would duct tape work to cover up the remaining illegal numbers on my spedometer?

Thank you for your advice.

Chris

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

We should all agree on a sarcasm font.

Red
    1999 Firebird Trans Am

TBH, I always thought that WS6 logo on the back looked out of place...

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post

Some people are just followers.

I was joking, but in all seriousness, they did look pretty good at the time. I don't think everyone is a follower, they just liked it. I for one have very different taste then most here.

On the hoods, I've found they do make a very measurable increase in power at the track. Probably cruising not so much, but it doesn't take much speed to start forcing air in there.
    Next time you go to the track, tape off the hood underneath and make a couple passes, you might be surprised what happens.
    I did this on our SS 4th gens and those hoods aren't as effective, and I still found some interesting results.

On my Formula (seen here) The factory hood is functional, above 80 mph there is so much air forced into the air cleaner it actually pushes the PCV filter out of it's holder and forces it all the way around to the back of the air cleaner. I had to wire tie it in place It's extremely effective.

You can also see from the pic I'm nothing close to a follower, big flashy wheels aren't necessarily my thing, in this case the dog dish hubcaps do just fine for me

Impounded
    i just dont see anything wrong with upgrading a car to perform and look like another...just as long as you arent falsely labling it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information