Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

what do I need to beat my a 02 Z06 with my 01 WS6?

I just got my 01 WS6 all black on black with T56, it was all stock when I got it 2 months ago...since then I put MSD 8.5mm plug wires,slp lid with mac filter,and had a hooker aerochamber muffler installed...it has stock cats and tranny is stock....the tranny was really hard to shift into any gears at high rpms after it was warmed up, so if I raced I had to granny shift....well I took it to the track and ran 13.08 on my first run....I couldnt beleieve it...im not new to drag racing but I am new to the fuel injection type cars and im only 24 years old....every run after that either didnt go into 3rd or I went right from 2nd to 4th and was still going 13.40's-13.60's....the engine has 112k mi on it also.....im taking the tranny out now because the day after the track it just stuck in like direct drive after I backed up to leave work and its like driving around in 5th gear....well my buddy has an 02 Z06 and his best run is 12.45 he has programmed and built tranny and clutch with borla exhaust. I am sending my tranny off to texas to be built and installing a centerforce dual friction or a LS7 clutch, and also installing headers and maybe no cats, and having it tuned....I bounced off the limiter for the last 100 ft because I didnt want to shift to 4th that close to the end, I will have headers,maybe true duals, and prolly 3:73 gears and tuned next time I run it, and also the new tranny and clutch, the old one slipped into 2nd and 3rd... I dont know how I went that fast...I snoked my buddys 98 Z28 and he has everything but cam and heads done, he ran 13.3...also what can I do with my heads and intake? port them and the TB and MAF?

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

I think you pretty much just said what you need to do. H/C would put you right with his Z, then some long tubes with true duals or Y pipe is a good path to go. Also seeing how you are an m6 I say go with some 4.10s not 3.73s but that is just me....

pewter
    00 TA m6 vert

4:10s, LT headers w cutouts, master cylinder hose mod, PP your TB, Drag radials, lower control arm relocate, adjustable panhard bar and a small shot of nitrous.... should get you there for under $2k.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I know he has ran his prolly 20 times at the track and the 12.45 is his best time with the 02 Z06, he has programmed and corsa exhaust thats it...he usually runs 12.50's 12.60's....I ran 13.08 on first run with this car, and I only got 4 more runs in after it and my 2nd run I spun bad because I dropped clutch at 3500 trying to get that extra tenth faster to get into the 12's and ended up spinning bad and running 13.70...then 3rd,4th,5th run I had to shift from 2nd to 4th and was going 13.30-13.60.....I figure if I just had a good working clutch and tranny I would have ran 12.90's for sure right?????......so my buddy really has about 5 tenths on me in between his best and my best run....my cat converters are stock ones from the factory, so I figured deleting them and installing LT headers and bigger diameter y pipe and exhaust back to muffler should give me atleast 3 or 4 tenths, I should be really close to him by then.....and the new tranny and clutch should help me a tenth or 2....with that I was thinking I would be right with him....4.10 gears would be great but with my stock cam?...I would prolly be getting into 5th by the 1/4 mile mark right?

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

I like my low RPM's on the highway so I don't think I would like 4:10's compared to what I have. I say try to make more power. It sounds like your very close already.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcuffs View Post
    I like my low RPM's on the highway so I don't think I would like 4:10's compared to what I have.
    My 4.11's make the car spin to 2000RPM at 75MPH.

100 shot of nitrous and take care of the clutch issues....you got him.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

a well driven 02 Z06 can do very low 12s.
    to take him on at the very least youll need full exhaust and a mid range cam plus tuning
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    a well driven 02 Z06 can do very low 12s.
    to take him on at the very least youll need full exhaust and a mid range cam plus tuning
    oooh im close to that lol. ill let yal know how it goes if i find one lol jk the ones i have found never want to run me...but sooner or later...

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Yea I dont want to touch the cam until my engine goes, since it has 112,000 mi on it right now, I think it wont last too long once I get it running at the track once a month or so...a guy at the racetrack told me if I tuned it to redline 300 rpms more in 1st,2nd,3rd, then I could get across the line in 3rd without hitting the limiter the last 200 ft or so....cause when I shifted to 4th at the very end I ran 2 tenths slower, he said program it to what I just said and it will gain a tenth just from that at the least...but im doing headers and y pipe with the tranny and clutch buildup for sure, im thinking I will be at around 12.70-12.80 then...but the guy also said I would need better pushrods to take it up safely a lot of times at 300 more rpm's per gear...I shifted when it hit the limiter at 6000 in every gear....I would like to have intake ported and heads ported also....4.10 gears at 75 only pull 2000 rpms?...I drove mine to work everyday 60 mile round trip on highway and I set it on cruise control at 75 and it ran right at 1800 rpms...how could 3:42's to 4.10's only make that little difference?...is mine messed up?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

at 2k mine runs right dead on at 90mph

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Fixing the clutch is a must -- the LS7 should work well for your current needs. Long tube headers are also a GREAT mod and should get you at least a full tenth at the strip.

A better tire should net you a couple tenths (drag radials), however it might be at the expense of the rear end.

3.90's or 4.10's in the rear would help you as well, however that also might be at the expense of the rear end.

Add in a mild cam and the required valvetrain upgrades (springs, pushrods, etc.) and you're well into the 12's.

Alternatively, simply toss a 100 shot of N2O on your current setup + clutch and long tubes and you should easily have the advantage. Personally, at first I was hesitant to go with N2O, however the motors respond so well to it and you can limit the risks/dangers of a N2O setup with the proper safety controls. In hindsight, my N2O kit has been the BEST mod I've made to the car.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Yea, I pretty much get most my info from my buddy, he has been a mechanic at a gm dealership for about 4 years, and my other buddy his dad was the head mechanic at same dealership for 20 years and his son thats my age is the one I get my racing tips from, they have some crazy built cars...a 69 corvair on a monte carlo frame, front engine LS1 with small cam and little head work and runs 11.80's, anyhow.....my buddy at the dealership said they bend pushrods easy when you go above 6000 rpm's too much...and being I have 112,000 miles on the engine, im scared of nitrous for sure...but he said not to even think about cam or any of that because it will blow my motor quick if I stuff a decent cam in it...I am sure the motor will go before 150,000mi, so I want to get all the rearend and suspension and bolt on,exhaust, all that kinda stuff and get it running as fast as possible, because I dont want to put a cam in it or nitrous for sure, with that many miles...when it blows, thats when im just going to go all out on the block and heads...I would like to change my pushrods and get some head work and intake work done though...I think at 13.14 the way it sits with 02 sensors setting off and stock exhaust, headers and make my own true dual exhaust with no cats I would get more than a tenth....1 tenth doesnt make since for headers, I've heard headers really get them going...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by getcha01 View Post
    but he said not to even think about cam or any of that because it will blow my motor quick if I stuff a decent cam in it...
    Why? Did he give you a reason?

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Why? Did he give you a reason?
    Yea...he said even a low mileage LS1 once they get cams installed the crank,rods,pushrods, arent made to pull up to 6500 or more rpms on a weekly basis...and he said being mine has 112,000mi its going to be a lot weaker even yet, and a cam would for sure tear my rod bearing or rods and could hurt my crank...and he said maybe a 100 shot of nitrous could do for a little while, but he said the bottom end on an LS1 isnt forged anywhere, and it can only hold up to about 400hp on a low mileage LS1 thats driven a lot....I see on here all the time about people with 120,000 or more mileage with more than 400hp and they dont have any problems, and my buddy has never owned an LS1 and he said he's never seen them come in blown up from mods, he said 1 time 3 years ago they got an SS in that had blown motor from just hard abuse, the guy revved his motor to redline at people all the time and stuff like that....but other than that he said he's never experienced it himself...I argued with him because I think he is just jeleous that I got it, and I ran almost a second faster than he said I was going to run

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Stock bottom end can take 6500 without much issue.
    Much over that though and you are starting to push it.

TSP's 228R cam would be great for you.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Dude you break the 5 line rule (not reading all that) with every post. There's alot of ways to beat an 02 ZO6 tho.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Dude you break the 5 line rule (not reading all that) with every post. There's alot of ways to beat an 02 ZO6 tho.
    I break a 5 line rule?...lol...man all my buddys always tell me I go into to much detail on my storys...I feel like if I dont exactly explain s%^@ to people that they wont understand me

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Stock bottom end can take 6500 without much issue.
    Much over that though and you are starting to push it.

TSP's 228R cam would be great for you.
    yea but do you think installing a cam at 112,000mi would be worth it?...I have to pass emissions where im at also...thats a big issue im having too...I need tofigure out a way around it...I figured full exhaust and better gears and something for better traction along with this tranny rebuild and im done for a while till it blows...maybe some better splines in the axle too...I dont know man its confusing with these kind of cars, im lost...if it was my old hot rod I would have my 4 speed out already and rebuilt and cam and everything else in and done.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Question

I break a 5 line rule?...lol...man all my buddys always tell me I go into to much detail on my storys...I feel like if I dont exactly explain s%^@ to people that they wont understand me
    I also get a lot out at once because A- Ive had a couple beers in me by this time in the night(get on here same time everynight).B-I dont always get on here everyday so I ask a lot or tell a lot at once so I can get a lot of replies when im back on here...im very computer illiterate...

White
    2002 Trans AM 6mt

I also get a lot out at once because A- Ive had a couple beers in me by this time in the night(get on here same time everynight).B-I dont always get on here everyday so I ask a lot or tell a lot at once so I can get a lot of replies when im back on here...im very computer illiterate...
    Your post just cracked me up!

I think as long as you can launch it good, gears and better tires will get you real close to taking him from a dig.

Thread Information