Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black 99 A4 TransAm
    2000 MY Corvette

What do high miles on your bird really mean???

I have 4 Pontiacs, one TA, 2 Formulas, and one GranPrix. The GP is the only car with less than 100,000 miles. I have a blast and just feel great after driving one of my birds miles be damned...so why is it that "low miles" is the first thing that is mentioned when someone wants to buy their next car??? The same guy will chase a woman with 5 kids and on her 3rd marriage. I love my high mile F bodies and will never sell them to a clown who thinks that a few extra miles don't mean the car has been enjoyed that much more. The odometer should be renamed the enjoyment meter that way a high number would be a good thing. Is anyone with me on this?

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Means nothing,my 02 ceta has 210,xxx and still runs great,I really could care less what someone else thinks about the mileage on it,cars are meant to be driven.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Couldn't agree more with both of you!
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

white
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LS3torque View Post
    I have 4 Pontiacs, one TA, 2 Formulas, and one GranPrix. The GP is the only car with less than 100,000 miles. I have a blast and just feel great after driving one of my birds miles be damned...so why is it that "low miles" is the first thing that is mentioned when someone wants to buy their next car??? The same guy will chase a woman with 5 kids and on her 3rd marriage. I love my high mile F bodies and will never sell them to a clown who thinks that a few extra miles don't mean the car has been enjoyed that much more. The odometer should be renamed the enjoyment meter that way a high number would be a good thing. Is anyone with me on this?
    that is one of the best statements i have ever heard... and so true.. i laughed for 10 min about that... but yeah as long as you love the car, miles really shouldnt matter.. of coarse unless like in my case, the previous owner was really hard on the car.. had it for almost a month and still fixing stuff and getting quotes for work to be done... i havent been able to do my exhaust yet because of things that had to be done before that.. but i guess not having a muffler, it doesnt sound so bad...lol.. now i am going to wash her up and take her to get the tranny mount replaced.. hopefully that will take car of the vibrations im having.. but, seeing as i wanted one of these beautiful cars for 10 year, i dont care.. whatever it takes to get her right.. because ihave the biggest smile on my face while im driving her... and thats all that matters right??

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

right! i agree i just hit 110,000 miles yesterday, 2 days after my awesome tranny rebuild and all new brakes...and im not one bit mad about the money i throw into a pit, haha worth every penny...besides, its just fun to buy an older car and fix 'er up better than it was

1981 g-Body

I agree that cars are meant to be driven and what not but if i'm going to buy a new car i want low miles. That way i'm the one who can rack up the "enjoyment meter" as much as possible before a rebuild.

Less miles = less wear and tear

white
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by x-40oz-x View Post
    I agree that cars are meant to be driven and what not but if i'm going to buy a new car i want low miles. That way i'm the one who can rack up the "enjoyment meter" as much as possible before a rebuild.

Less miles = less wear and tear
    thats not entirely true. if you have someone that owned the car before you and was a complete jackass and had no business driving it, then it could have severe wear on it in just a few thousand miles.. not changing fluids, not checking them, constantly racing every car they see on the road, ect... and it does happen.. believe that.. so less miles doesnt always mean less wear and tear

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by ls1ws6ben View Post
    thats not entirely true. if you have someone that owned the car before you and was a complete jackass and had no business driving it, then it could have severe wear on it in just a few thousand miles.. not changing fluids, not checking them, constantly racing every car they see on the road, ect... and it does happen.. believe that.. so less miles doesnt always mean less wear and tear
    Chances are a car with high miles has had more owners and the more owners the car's had the more "fun" they've had. I know what you mean though. I'd rather have a car that's been babied for 100k than some jackass's car that's got 20k and had the shit bagged out of it every weekend.

white
    1998 Trans Am

yeah i hate seeing a F-body that some douche just trashes and dogs the crap out of it.. there should be a law that if you see someone doing that, then you as a f-body owner yourself should be able to deny their f-body owner rights and take possesion of that car immediately!

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

All mechanical (and electrical) components have a life span.. Every bend, bump, twist, articulation etc. , not to mention weather, rust, or corrosion will induce wear on a car, period..(google cyclic stress) so yes the more miles on it, the more wear and tear it'll have, regardless if previous owners changed fluids, etc. there's way more to maintaining a car than just replacing fluids..

With that said, however, MOST cars are built to last, atleast to some extent. Thus, a car with 250k miles can be just as enjoyable as one right off the showroom floor if its been atleast half-ass maintained. My 96 jeep has 235k miles and I still love it. My 95 bmw has 275k miles on it and still has the original clutch! My bird on the other hand only has 58k. Its all about preventative maintenance IMHO

1981 g-Body

yeah i hate seeing a F-body that some douche just trashes and dogs the crap out of it.. there should be a law that if you see someone doing that, then you as a f-body owner yourself should be able to deny their f-body owner rights and take possesion of that car immediately!
    haha true. I know too many people who buy an f-bod, beat the hell out of for one summer than sell it next year to someone who does the exact same thing.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Also a vehicle with higher miles usually has lower value then one with lower mileage. Thats how most banks see it. Ever tried to get a loan out on a car with more than 75000 miles? It aint easy

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

High mileage and modification = not worth much..

Sold privately, it becomes what someone is willing to pay for a car with little resale value for them as well...

Moral...? Keep it till there's nothing left..

Just my .02
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-15-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    All mechanical (and electrical) components have a life span.. Every bend, bump, twist, articulation etc. , not to mention weather, rust, or corrosion will induce wear on a car, period..(google cyclic stress) so yes the more miles on it, the more wear and tear it'll have, regardless if previous owners changed fluids, etc. there's way more to maintaining a car than just replacing fluids..

With that said, however, MOST cars are built to last, atleast to some extent. Thus, a car with 250k miles can be just as enjoyable as one right off the showroom floor if its been atleast half-ass maintained. My 96 jeep has 235k miles and I still love it. My 95 bmw has 275k miles on it and still has the original clutch! My bird on the other hand only has 58k. Its all about preventative maintenance IMHO
    Agree..

Especially in a unibody prone to flex aft. of the sail panel..

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I agree also, I bought mine in june 09 with 78k now I have 106k I could drive it from august till feb of 2010, so I made up for it in the past year haha.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post

I agree.

Chances are a car with low miles wasn't beaten the hell out of. Not always true, but more than likely.

No difference between 50-70k IMO, but USUALLY a big difference between 50k and 150k.

Black 99 A4 TransAm
    2000 MY Corvette

Thats why I ended up with this car...stupid kid and a 383 LT1 just dont mix. The kid said he only drove it for 2 months but the carfax said a lil over a week before cracking it up. Its a 1 of 164 Formula vert 6 speed cars. I only wanted the T-56 trans and ended up bringing it back to life. Runs like a scalded dog.

This is after it came home from paint.
    Last edited by LS3torque; 01-15-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Add latest pik

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    right! i agree i just hit 110,000 miles yesterday, 2 days after my awesome tranny rebuild and all new brakes...and im not one bit mad about the money i throw into a pit, haha worth every penny...besides, its just fun to buy an older car and fix 'er up better than it was
    So Hi-Tek came through for ya, huh?

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Thats why I ended up with this car...stupid kid and a 383 LT1 just dont mix. The kid said he only drove it for 2 months but the carfax said a lil over a week before cracking it up. Its a 1 of 164 Formula vert 6 speed cars. I only wanted the T-56 trans and ended up bringing it back to life. Runs like a scalded dog.
    Click for full size
    This is after it came home from paint.
    Click for full size
    I miss my old 97 firebird, I had it for 3 year's before I started mobilization for Iraq, and my little brother totaled it, still pissed off about that.

Black 99 A4 TransAm
    2000 MY Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I agree.

Chances are a car with low miles wasn't beaten the hell out of. Not always true, but more than likely.

No difference between 50-70k IMO, but USUALLY a big difference between 50k and 150k.
    I kinda like cars that have had the hell beaten out of them, that way all the weak spots have been exposed and I am less worried about driving next to all the stupid / bad drivers out on the road today that are too busy yacking on the phone to just shut up and drive.

Thread Information