Page 84 of 268 FirstFirst ... 34445464808182838485868788104114124134184234 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 5352
Like Tree1286Likes

What did you do with your Trans Am today?

This is a discussion on What did you do with your Trans Am today? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; cleaned it up and took it for a spin,i dont get much time to spend with it,and here are the ...

  1. #1661
    **Te@M fBoDy** fbodyNATION's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Woodlands,Texas...N.O.
    Posts
    1,016

    Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    cleaned it up and took it for a spin,i dont get much time to spend with it,and here are the pics of the wheels with the clear coat stripped off





  2. #1662
    **Te@M fBoDy** fbodyNATION's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Woodlands,Texas...N.O.
    Posts
    1,016

    Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6





    the wheels without the clearcoat

  3. #1663
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    20,990

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Dropped out about 1/2 gallon of coolant and removed the throttle body and hoses this morning. Going to complete the bump stop and bypass mods... finally.

  4. #1664
    Senior Member cpop98ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Posts
    1,535

    Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

    Jeff, I did the bump stop mod on my stock throttle body and it messed with my shift points. I don't know if I went to far or what, but it wouldn't shift at WOT. Just a heads up.

  5. #1665
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    93

    Black
    79 Trans Am

    Finished putting my alternator in and everything works. Then I drank 2 beers and went to bed

  6. #1666
    Junior Member 99WS6Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    46

    Red
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    the wheels without the clearcoat
    Nice...what did you use to strip the clear coat? One of my wheels has issues with the clear coat and I think stripping might be the answer for me as well.

  7. #1667
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    20,990

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post
    Jeff, I did the bump stop mod on my stock throttle body and it messed with my shift points. I don't know if I went to far or what, but it wouldn't shift at WOT. Just a heads up.
    I am going to check it with my scanner to see what % it reads in its current state at WOT. The blade is definitely not opening all the way -- kind of surprised me how far off it actually is. I'll check my manual too before I mess with anything.

  8. #1668
    Member SuperSSguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    964

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I am going to check it with my scanner to see what % it reads in its current state at WOT. The blade is definitely not opening all the way -- kind of surprised me how far off it actually is. I'll check my manual too before I mess with anything.
    Whats involved in a bump stop mod? and why?....also are you man or auto ?

  9. #1669
    **Te@M fBoDy** fbodyNATION's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Woodlands,Texas...N.O.
    Posts
    1,016

    Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Liberal View Post
    Nice...what did you use to strip the clear coat? One of my wheels has issues with the clear coat and I think stripping might be the answer for me as well.
    Rust Oleum Aircraft Remover in the spray can,you can buy it from auto zone

  10. #1670
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    20,990

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Whats involved in a bump stop mod? and why?....also are you man or auto ?

    For whatever reason, the throttle blade on our cars is often not fully open when the tab contacts the stop. By grinding off a bit of the stop you can achieve true WOT. I can take a picture to show it later tonight.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 08-22-2012 at 04:20 AM.

  11. #1671
    None Shall Pass Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East of Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,828

    Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Whats involved in a bump stop mod? and why?....also are you man or auto ?
    It involves shaving down the small stop on the throttlebody that limits how far open it will go. Many times the throttlebody will not open 100% in stock form. Shaving the bumpstop allows it to.

    Jeff is also an auto.

  12. #1672
    Junior Member 99WS6Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    46

    Red
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    Rust Oleum Aircraft Remover in the spray can,you can buy it from auto zone
    I stopped by there this evening and purchased a quart of it, instead of the spray can.
    Before I apply it, I'll get some before shots and then some after shots.
    Really hoping this will resolve the cloudy appearance.

  13. #1673
    Member SuperSSguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    964

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    For whatever reason, the throttle blade on our cars is often not fully open when the tab contacts the stop. By grinding off a bit of the stop you can achieve true WOT. I can take a picture to show it later tonight.
    Thanks got it!....

  14. #1674
    **Te@M fBoDy** fbodyNATION's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Woodlands,Texas...N.O.
    Posts
    1,016

    Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 99WS6Indy View Post
    I stopped by there this evening and purchased a quart of it, instead of the spray can.
    Before I apply it, I'll get some before shots and then some after shots.
    Really hoping this will resolve the cloudy appearance.
    make sure you take the wheels off the car you dont want to get that stuff on your paint

  15. #1675
    Junior Member 99WS6Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    46

    Red
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    make sure you take the wheels off the car you dont want to get that stuff on your paint
    Well....

    I took the wheels off and used a paint brush to apply the aircraft cleaner. That stuff works amazingly fast. Other than the few spots that had physical damage, it really brought out the shine and looked amazing. Yes, I said looked, as in past tense.
    Being that this was a last minute project before coming over to the Trans Am Grand Nationals, I took the car to a car wash last night and couldn't find any tire shine/cleaner, so I used Wesley's Bleach White, which also said it could be used for black walls as well.
    So, I pour about 12 ounces into a bucket and didn't thin it down any. I applied it to the tires with a scrub brush, moving on to the next wheel after applying it on each. By the time I had finished up on the last wheel, the first had Wesely's dripping all down across the bare chrome...ohhh nooo...
    I quickly fired up the spray washer and sprayed it thoroughly as I could. I realized what a terrible thing I had done, but it was too late. All four wheels had been affected. The wheels all had runny dripping, spotty etchings...all over them.
    When I got it back home, I spent a good hour working on just one wheel, trying various cleaners and home remedies to correct my bad decision. Coke and aluminum foil didn't work for crap...actually looked like it was scratching the wheel. Also tried vinegar with no luck.
    Next, I tried Nevr Dull, which actually did clean up a decent amount, but just couldn't get the hard drip lines and bubbles that had set in. Then, I tried Brasso, to which actually seems to do a good job. It just takes a bunch of elbow grease repeatedly in the same area. It was late when I was convinced that Brasso would do a fairly acceptable job for the show today.
    So, I drove it over to the show with the wheels all messed up. After we got the car entered, found our appropriate parking spot, I proceeded to spend over an hour working on the wheels. I'm not completely happy with the results, but at least they are clean and the chrome is shiny without too many imperfections still showing. My arms got tired and the sun started baking down pretty good. I definitely need to spend more time in the corners where it is more difficult to clean. After I get these back to a happy standard, I plan on waxing them real good and plan to keep up on the maintenance of cleaning them on a regular basis.
    I'm throwing that damn bleach white in the trash
    Anyhow, am at the show and getting some awesome pics. When I find time tomorrow, I'll post up some pics of my adventure.
    Last edited by 99WS6Indy; 08-25-2012 at 09:46 AM.

  16. #1676
    Member Furious1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    123

    White
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    The wheels are polished aluminum underneath the clear, so just get yourself some good aluminum polish and you should be able to get those polished up no problem. White Diamond is good stuff, you can get it from Advance Auto Parts.

  17. #1677
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    20,990

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Coolant bypass -- completed utilizing two (2) different sizes of coated brake line in order to match the crossover tube and the radiator inlet:





    Bump stop -- not yet completed, but here is a pic of the throttle body being held at WOT. I did my best to ensure that the pic was taken from straight on, but may be off just a bit:



  18. #1678
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,167

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Drove the snot out of Too Fast today, met with another LS1er:







    We did a drag race, I think the guy from Illinois needs a driver mod LOL! No video, but if his radio was off (and the antenna down), that was the excuse for his loss since there was more aero drag.
    Last edited by Too Fast; 08-26-2012 at 01:30 PM.

  19. #1679
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    20,990

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Hand filed the bumpstop down on the throttle body. I didn't feel comfortable going at it with a die grinder as there isn't a whole lot of room to work. Placing it flat on my workbench, with the PCV source line hanging over the edge, allowed for good control and a firm hold. I measured the thickness of the bumpstop before I started and it was right around 0.325" (measurements in the pics are off just a touch -- I only have two hands!):





    I worked it down a little at a time and kept checking the angle of the throttle blade relative to the housing. It isn't exactly 90 degrees now, but sure is a whole lot closer. Chris warned me that he had issues after shaving down his bumpstop and I felt it best to keep it on the safe side to see what happens. Final thickness of the bumpstop was 0.262", so I removed a total of 0.063" of material.





    This pic shows the step that resulted in the bump stop from my modification (circled in red):



  20. #1680
    Member bhunter0830's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Traverse City, Michigan, Unite
    Posts
    474

    Maple Red Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Hand filed the bumpstop down on the throttle body. I didn't feel comfortable going at it with a die grinder as there isn't a whole lot of room to work. Placing it flat on my workbench, with the PCV source line hanging over the edge, allowed for good control and a firm hold. I measured the thickness of the bumpstop before I started and it was right around 0.325" (measurements in the pics are off just a touch -- I only have two hands!):

    I worked it down a little at a time and kept checking the angle of the throttle blade relative to the housing. It isn't exactly 90 degrees now, but sure is a whole lot closer. Chris warned me that he had issues after shaving down his bumpstop and I felt it best to keep it on the safe side to see what happens. Final thickness of the bumpstop was 0.262", so I removed a total of 0.063" of material.
    Jeff, let me know the results. I am wanting to do the same thing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. LS1 vs Old School
    By Mecinoid in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-22-2014, 04:08 PM
  2. Gearhead Street '10 T/A - 900HP 2010 Trans Am Anno
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 03:50 AM
  3. The Trans Am 421 SD - Transcendental Transformatio
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 04:17 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 10:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •