Page 296 of 314 FirstFirst ... 4696146196246256266276292293294295296297298299300 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,920 of 6275
Like Tree1547Likes

What did you do with your Trans Am today?

This is a discussion on What did you do with your Trans Am today? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by BobbyGFirebird what OR/Y pipe ? Iknow the Y, just not the OR. Thanks Off Road Y-pipe. Has ...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyGFirebird View Post
    what OR/Y pipe ? Iknow the Y, just not the OR. Thanks
    Off Road Y-pipe. Has no convertors, so only legal for race use. (Some people get away with it in places that have no inspections, just sayin').

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Off Road Y-pipe. Has no convertors, so only legal for race use. (Some people get away with it in places that have no inspections, just sayin').
    ^^

Junior Moderator

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    ^^

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Did an oil change and a power steering pump change yesterday. Still haven't driven on the new pump. It's a Turn One, so I'm interested to see if it feels different.
    Please let me know how that PS pump turns out, I am thinking of putting one on!

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    There really is no greater improvement IMHO. Just get their pulley and new o rings and call it a day.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f12/turn-o...g-pump-187340/

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    There really is no greater improvement IMHO. Just get their pulley and new o rings and call it a day.
    I agree with Scott. Try emailing them or calling them and asking them what's the deal. To me, the steering feels completely stock (maybe even a little more assist than stock). If you can't find a quality OEM pump for under $300 (I hate buying cheap knock offs), might as well get the Turn One, though.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The "feel" is really going to be a combination of steering geometry, the rack's internals, and the steering ratio. Other than increasing or decreasing the system pressure, I can't say that a different pump is really going to change the feel. This being said, less pressure will make the steering feel heavy, while too much pressure will make it drive like a land yacht from the 70's.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

New oil and air filters. Stuck the snow tires on for the season.
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

My thanks to Jeff for advice on a trans. I know its been a while but, I finally pulled the trigger on a Level II. Here's is link to the 2nd part of the build.

https://www.facebook.com/performabui...dXPrniqJZmOXuc
    SMWS6TA likes this.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The "feel" is really going to be a combination of steering geometry, the rack's internals, and the steering ratio. Other than increasing or decreasing the system pressure, I can't say that a different pump is really going to change the feel. This being said, less pressure will make the steering feel heavy, while too much pressure will make it drive like a land yacht from the 70's.
    Sounds like a stock pump and the Turn One pulley for me, then! My car groans like crazy in the freezing
    cold, and more so when I turn the wheel.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I once had my PS belt break on my old Toyota pick up. There was absolutely more communication coming through the steering wheel. Enough that I actually drove faster through twisty canyon roads than I did before. At speed, there is really no benefit to power steering. It's really only useful for when grandma is parking the car, IMO.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Long time member, first post in a while lol. I researched a new ORY for my '00 WS6, because the one I bought along with the Hooker headers back in November '06 is getting rusty and leaky. Amazingly I found my original paperwork from then and confirmed the ORY is still available, PN 16723HKR. Dammit, car sounds like some POS truck right now. Can't have that.
    Welcome back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

Sounds like a stock pump and the Turn One pulley for me, then! My car groans like crazy in the freezing
    cold, and more so when I turn the wheel.
    Hey Scott,, are you still running the stock power steering cooler? - the one in the upper radiator hose ?? I ditched mine in favor of of an external one due to the fact that they are prone to leaking and mixing the coolant in with the pwr str fluid. just wondering .....
    '02 Black RamAir M6--Kooks LTH, Magnaflo, Lowered Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks, Tuned By Frost, K&N & SLP box, Smooth bellows, polished TB, Spohn perf. suspension, shock tower brace. UMI 3point SFC. Front & side splitters w/ canards. American Racing 18" wheels & Mich. Pilot SS titres
    '76 LagunaS3 - 355ci , 350 turbo, 3:55's

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmTerry View Post
    Hey Scott,, are you still running the stock power steering cooler? - the one in the upper radiator hose ?? I ditched mine in favor of of an external one due to the fact that they are prone to leaking and mixing the coolant in with the pwr str fluid. just wondering .....

98's didn't come with those or at least mine didn't. I've thought about doing one but so far no.

Check with PAJeff. IIRC he did one like you're thinking of.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmTerry View Post
    The leak is closer to the pump, as it leaks outside. I figure itís the pressure hose but Iíll do it all (not the rack though).

Coolants fine.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I mounted a small tube and fin style cooler to the front of the K-member. The stock P/S hoses connected up just fine and had plenty of length.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Derale part number 13211 For Some reason, viglink highjacks my summit link, must be some crap they're funding this page with.

That's the PS cooler I picked up for the 78 since it decided to puke PS fluid last summer while autocrossing. If you search Summit, they have a LOT of different options, sizes, mounting styles and connections. I opted for just a rubber hose connection, but there are a myriad of -AN style connections as well, if you want to get fancy.
    Last edited by Zapper2003; 12-22-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13211

That's the PS cooler I picked up for the 78 since it decided to puke PS fluid last summer while autocrossing. If you search Summit, they have a LOT of different options, sizes, mounting styles and connections. I opted for just a rubber hose connection, but there are a myriad of -AN style connections as well, if you want to get fancy.
    Something’s wrong with that link

Do the LS1 f bodies really have a PS Cooler problem? The car is 15 years old, the last 11 as a real honest to God daily driver, and 174k on the odometer, and it seems more like the pump or the ps pressure hose is the culprit. I know Terry has been mentioning the cooler issue but I’ve not heard a lot of complaints about it.

It’s not a “value added feature” like leaking pinions seals, is it?

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I tried editing the link, it was the correct link, but apparently the administration have implemented VigLink to highjack our URL's trying to find us better 'deals'. So I took it out and threw up the part number instead. If you feel like searching for it, have at it.

IMO, the power steering cooler was a poorly executed excuse for an 'oh crap, we forgot a cooler, put it in wherever you can' situation. At your mileage, I'd really be considering moving the cooler. Is it really worth blowing a PS pump (or worse)? Aftermarket PS coolers are pretty darn cheap.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yes, the stock P/S coolers do leak from time to time. Cross contamination then wreaks havoc in both systems, but more so the P/S.

Page 296 of 314 FirstFirst ... 4696146196246256266276292293294295296297298299300 ... LastLast

Thread Information