Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

What clearcoat is on factory WS6 rims?

Hi guys..,

Well if you have seen my post about having a spin out and scraping the bumper and whacking a rim on the kerb...well this is an update of sorts!

I had crazy quotes on bits and pieces, but i got lucky on ebay.com and won a WS6 rim for $100 ) Only problem is that it is painted (for whatever reason), but this fact may have put people off? Happily i have the workshop and stuff to bring back a mirror shine, and so my question is....

What is the EXACT type of clearcoat put on these rims from new as i have had a couple of companies tell me that i will have adherance problems if sprayed onto a slick polished surface...but they managed from new and so anybody with good info here will be much appreciated!?

I am guesing at a two part polyurethane type of clear, but i dunno!

Thanks in advance!

Trev... )

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Many now have clear powdercoated on.

Personally....strip all the clear off all the wheels and see how much more they could shine. Will require a little more work, but will look much better as well.
    They would be a basic polished aluminum wheel at that point.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Mmmm.....,

I had considered this plan myself! I figured as it sees reasonable use, but not heavy, i would polish the rim as you suggest and maybe paint or powdercoat the back side just to keep th ebrake dust down and make cleaning easier.

I totally understand that keeping a fully polished but unprotected rim is just a maintenance thing and really quite do-able and i agree.... very shiny if maintained!

But....... i would still love to hear peoples thoughts on the make up of the clear used on thses rims from new..

Trev.... )

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

96 WS6 wheels were painted with a polished lip. I wouldn't know what they used as a clear coat on the polished wheels.
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Mmmm.....,

I had considered this plan myself! I figured as it sees reasonable use, but not heavy, i would polish the rim as you suggest and maybe paint or powdercoat the back side just to keep th ebrake dust down and make cleaning easier.

I totally understand that keeping a fully polished but unprotected rim is just a maintenance thing and really quite do-able and i agree.... very shiny if maintained!

But....... i would still love to hear peoples thoughts on the make up of the clear used on thses rims from new..

Trev.... )
    I'm no expert on this, but this is what I've read on the subject. I've heard its a polyester or acrylic clearcoat and in some cases the refinishing process can't be peformed in a body shop environment. In those cases, you'd have to send the wheel to a wheel refinishing company.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

Just to put my mind at rest, but it is a bit late now as i have bought it...... are ALL WS6 rims for a Trans Am 17x9 with the same bolt spacing and offset?? I am pretty sure they are....but a yes would help me here!!!

Cutlass... i am going to call a few wheel finishing companies to get there take on this issue, and thanks for the suggestion!

Trev... )
    Last edited by speedyWS6; 10-18-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Many now have clear powdercoated on.

Personally....strip all the clear off all the wheels and see how much more they could shine. Will require a little more work, but will look much better as well.
    They would be a basic polished aluminum wheel at that point.
    this is the route i went with the Ws6 wheels on mine. bought some aircraft paint remover, and let it peel off the clearcoat. rinsed them off, then i polished up the chrome and they look much better.

i highly doubt most people would actually know the clearcoat was removed unless told otherwise.

Thread Information