Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

What are the chances?

This is a discussion on What are the chances? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Move away from California...

  1. #21
    Member zmg00camaross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    764

    pewter
    2000 camaro ss

    Move away from California

  2. #22
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    just tell him your old motor crapped out and got an 01/02 to replace it.
    Do you think that would work. I was thinking about telling him it was an 01, but do you think he would find out otherwise? Does he check the vin number, to verify what year the car is or what? Or will I get away with telling him it's a different engine?
    Last edited by clg82; 05-25-2009 at 08:21 PM.

  3. #23
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Anyone^^^^^

  4. #24
    Senior Member 00z28bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    las vegas, nv
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,390

    white
    2000 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Anyone^^^^^
    unfortunately i cant guarentee anything but how can he prove that your motor didnt break on you, seeing as how the vin isnt on the block just on the car. i dont see anything wrong with trying it. just mention the ecm came with the whole engine package if he says something about the ready sensors.

  5. #25
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    unfortunately i cant guarentee anything but how can he prove that your motor didnt break on you, seeing as how the vin isnt on the block just on the car. i dont see anything wrong with trying it. just mention the ecm came with the whole engine package if he says something about the ready sensors.
    I'll try that , should I wait until he even notices it or tell him from the beginning of the smog test?

  6. #26
    Junior Member SOCAL WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Riverside, California
    Posts
    68

    Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    Look, getting advice from people who don't live in California is a major crap shoot. Last time I checked California had the most stringent smog laws. Check the following link and the website for the California BAR. http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html. This website may answer some of your questions.

    In order for a smog station to be certified as an Inspection Only Station, they have to follow the rules very closely. The BAR has undercover inspectors who test these stations every day. They will yank their certification in a heart beat. Also the machines link directly to the BAR so It's very difficult to go shoping for a station that will pass you.

    I also believe if you mention engine swap, that will flag you for a more thorough inspection. My advice is to get the EGR fixed if you can.

    California is not a Muscle Car friendly state when it comes to emissions. Also the BAR and the CHP as well as the DMV also have links on their web sites to report cars that smoke or cars registered out of state. They do follow up on these reports. Remember, it all generates money to the state and right now they are hurting for it.

    Once again, good luck...

  7. #27
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL WS6 View Post
    Look, getting advice from people who don't live in California is a major crap shoot. Last time I checked California had the most stringent smog laws. Check the following link and the website for the California BAR. http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html. This website may answer some of your questions.

    In order for a smog station to be certified as an Inspection Only Station, they have to follow the rules very closely. The BAR has undercover inspectors who test these stations every day. They will yank their certification in a heart beat. Also the machines link directly to the BAR so It's very difficult to go shoping for a station that will pass you.

    I also believe if you mention engine swap, that will flag you for a more thorough inspection. My advice is to get the EGR fixed if you can.

    California is not a Muscle Car friendly state when it comes to emissions. Also the BAR and the CHP as well as the DMV also have links on their web sites to report cars that smoke or cars registered out of state. They do follow up on these reports. Remember, it all generates money to the state and right now they are hurting for it.

    Once again, good luck...
    wow well not sure what to think about that.......................

  8. #28
    Senior Member bigrondownhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,674

    Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

    Tape a $20 to the intake where the egr goes.

  9. #29
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Tape a $20 to the intake where the egr goes.
    lol i was thinking 60 you cheap skate

  10. #30
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    I'll try that , should I wait until he even notices it or tell him from the beginning of the smog test?
    I wouldn't offer any info up unless they ask. They may not even notice, act cool and casual if they ask anything.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Redphoenix1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,897

    Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Ok, here's the low down. I have to know this shit because I am a licensed smog tech in california. My number one question is do you have a check engine light on? If you do then you will fail right away. Yes the BAR 97 smog machine has a checklist. The VECI under the hood will tell the tech what emmissions equipment is under the hood. If you have an EGR visually we will check for that as it is required todo a visual inspection. If yoou pull the sticker off, we have an ECS manual that will tell us what you need under the hood. If you had an engine swap you are required to have the proper emissions equipment from that year vehicle so if you do not have the 00-02 smog equipment you get knocked. The BAR 97 has an OBDII connection to check to see if all but 2 of your monitors have ran. EGR is one of the continuous monitors so you may have an issue there. Also the fact that you are missing an EGR you can tell on the ASM once you get the 25/25 loaded test or the 50/15 because your NOX will be up and it will cause you to fail because your EGR reduces the NOX emmisions off idle. I just checked my ECS manual and the 02's do have an EGR. So hopefully this info will help you figure out what you need to do. Any questions let me know.

  12. #32
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    Ok, here's the low down. I have to know this shit because I am a licensed smog tech in california. My number one question is do you have a check engine light on? If you do then you will fail right away. Yes the BAR 97 smog machine has a checklist. The VECI under the hood will tell the tech what emmissions equipment is under the hood. If you have an EGR visually we will check for that as it is required todo a visual inspection. If yoou pull the sticker off, we have an ECS manual that will tell us what you need under the hood. If you had an engine swap you are required to have the proper emissions equipment from that year vehicle so if you do not have the 00-02 smog equipment you get knocked. The BAR 97 has an OBDII connection to check to see if all but 2 of your monitors have ran. EGR is one of the continuous monitors so you may have an issue there. Also the fact that you are missing an EGR you can tell on the ASM once you get the 25/25 loaded test or the 50/15 because your NOX will be up and it will cause you to fail because your EGR reduces the NOX emmisions off idle. I just checked my ECS manual and the 02's do have an EGR. So hopefully this info will help you figure out what you need to do. Any questions let me know.
    Very good info. To make sure I understand fully, you are saying he currently won't pass a Calif smog test or what will happen in his situation?

  13. #33
    Slowass SUX!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    256

    09 Sierra Denali AWD
    2001 T/A WS6 NBM

    i took mine off also since living in Ohio we dont need them....got mine laying in garage....need it ??? lol

  14. #34
    my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    177

    sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Do you think that would work. I was thinking about telling him it was an 01, but do you think he would find out otherwise? Does he check the vin number, to verify what year the car is or what? Or will I get away with telling him it's a different engine?
    well your sticker on the front of your car and the rpo sticker on your door is a give away of the year of your car, you might have luck telling them it is a different year motor only if they ask

  15. #35
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I wouldn't offer any info up unless they ask. They may not even notice, act cool and casual if they ask anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    Ok, here's the low down. I have to know this shit because I am a licensed smog tech in california. My number one question is do you have a check engine light on? If you do then you will fail right away. Yes the BAR 97 smog machine has a checklist. The VECI under the hood will tell the tech what emmissions equipment is under the hood. If you have an EGR visually we will check for that as it is required todo a visual inspection. If yoou pull the sticker off, we have an ECS manual that will tell us what you need under the hood. If you had an engine swap you are required to have the proper emissions equipment from that year vehicle so if you do not have the 00-02 smog equipment you get knocked. The BAR 97 has an OBDII connection to check to see if all but 2 of your monitors have ran. EGR is one of the continuous monitors so you may have an issue there. Also the fact that you are missing an EGR you can tell on the ASM once you get the 25/25 loaded test or the 50/15 because your NOX will be up and it will cause you to fail because your EGR reduces the NOX emmisions off idle. I just checked my ECS manual and the 02's do have an EGR. So hopefully this info will help you figure out what you need to do. Any questions let me know.
    Thanks for all the help phoenix, I will take all of that into consideration. But like what Y2K asked, will i not pass emissions then because of what you said. When I look at the sticker under the hood, no where on there does it have the word or letters EGR......also I do not have a check engine light on......

  16. #36
    my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    177

    sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

    what did you do to get all those tickets?

  17. #37
    Junior Member SOCAL WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Riverside, California
    Posts
    68

    Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    wow well not sure what to think about that.......................
    Simply put, you probably won't pass by BS'ing them..

  18. #38
    Senior Member Redphoenix1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,897

    Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    You will not pass emissions because of the NOX readings and the visual test. If the door sticker and the VECI is missing the year is easily determined by the 10th digit of the VIN. W,X,Y,0,1,2 are for 98-02. Don't go shop to shop because every time you hook to the BAR 97 a record is transferred. Worst case scenario, the smog tech is a dick, deems your car as unsmoggable and sends you to the Ref. In that scenario, everything has to be stock on the car or a carb approved sticker. If any of you guys have any questions with SMOG let me know. I currently do have my smog license but I can't smog vehicles because I don't work at a smog station. But if you have any questions about codes and diagnostics let me know also because I do work for Snap on Diagnostics. So code questions, weird gremlins, I can get info on

  19. #39
    Senior Member Redphoenix1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,897

    Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Thanks for all the help phoenix, I will take all of that into consideration. But like what Y2K asked, will i not pass emissions then because of what you said. When I look at the sticker under the hood, no where on there does it have the word or letters EGR......also I do not have a check engine light on......
    I'm not too familiar with the 2000 to 02 VECI's I have to look at one. But I believe it does not say EGR, it is a different type of system to reduce NOX. It is a valvle near the brke booster that functions as an EGR and most techs know what it is. Hence I said Most But it is there. The SES light, the roicedure to check it according to BAR is to go Key on engine off, verify the SES light turns on as a bulb check, start the vehicle and verify the light goes off. If your light does that then it's all good. If you have a pending or stored code, you are good to go. If all but 2 of your monitors have run then you are good. The only thing I see as a fail is high NOX emissions. EGR is meant to cool your combustion temps to reduce NOX. If you run high octane gas you might get away with it if the tech is real lazy and doesn't do a full visual

  20. #40
    Member Since 1998 Mecinoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Livermore, Ca.
    Posts
    498
    '98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Nope that is the only thing (EGR) that i have that isn't cal legal.......
    Some reason you can't reinstall prior to smog test?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. what are my chances
    By davidz28 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 07:00 PM
  2. What are the chances of 2
    By 02sunsetorangeZ in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 04:22 PM
  3. What's the chances of...
    By SurfaceGod in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-14-2010, 06:33 PM
  4. 2 GT'S my chances?
    By 02sunsetorangeZ in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 12:31 AM
  5. what are my chances?
    By cam02ss in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-24-2006, 03:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •