Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What causes the crack on the passengers side door trim?

This is a discussion on What causes the crack on the passengers side door trim? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Both of mine were cracked when I bought it. Still had factory warranty at that point so both were replaced. ...

primer
    1973 Camaro

Both of mine were cracked when I bought it. Still had factory warranty at that point so both were replaced. I'm sure they will crack again.

purple/blue metallic
    2001 WS6

No cracks on my T/A. I read several reviews of the 4th generation f-bodys that hurled insults at the interior quality. One reviewer suggested the engineers went on a lunch break and the janitors designed the interior. One reviewer said "...a $12,000 Daiwoo has a better quality interior and more attention paid to detail". I love the 1985 Sunbird switches for the windows and door locks. I love the 1979 Chevy Citation turn signal switch and heater controls.

2001 WS6 t-top M6 blue 260 KPH speedo...eh
    ASC build # 5430 Feb 15 2001
    SLP Headers and Loudmouth pipes...my neighbors love me...I start work at 5:00 AM!

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sidonsbones
    I have a 99 Trans Am WS6, but I think this is an issue with a lot of F-bodies. The interior door panel has a crack that appears at the top towards the rear. I've looked around for the panel, only to find others that are cracked in the same location. What is happening here?
    Just have some custom fiberglass door panels made... problem solved!

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

True.

Quote Originally Posted by black_bart
    Just have some custom fiberglass door panels made... problem solved!

Probably will end that way. I bet if you marketed some type of 3m Trim to cover the entire top of the door panel it would sell well! That would pretty much solve the problem.

NBM
    2000 Firehawk

I have no cracks yet.. could someone set some pictures up here.. I'd like to see exactly where they're coming through... this could make for good project for me sometime over the winter while she's hybernating in the garage...

I'm a wizz with fiberglass so I'm thinking a little extra backing for support to the area that keeps cracking for everyone might prevent the flexing that is causing the cracks and better distribute the stress to the center of the panel where a crack is less likely to start.

If someone can send me a pic of where the crack is in detail.. I could possibly work up a solution and how to prevent - and possibly how to at least stop it from getting worse in the case that it already exists on your cars.

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

both of mine are cracked, and also my dash, along with bubbles on my roof, and my sun visor also broke.All are common.........
    2007 Yukon XL (sold)
    2014 Z71 LTZ 3LZ (sold)
    2010 Escalade Platinum AWD , 6.2
    2017 Silverado HC , 4x4, 6.2

2000 WS6 ASC#2300 Holly LS6 intake, TR Custom grind cam, Mac Mids w/ ORY,Hotchkis LCA's, PHB, BMR Extreme STB, BMR re-location brackets,Eibach Sportlines, GMMG, Mccleod Pro 5.0, SLP SFC's, OEM ZO6 wheels
    1995 TA
    1969 R code Mach I my new project

Silver
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JKERN
    MY 02, THAT I BOUGHT NEW, HAD BOTH PANELS CRACK. LIVING IN NEW YORK I WOULD PARK AND STORE THE CAR THROUGH THE WINTER. LAST YEAR I PARKED THE CAR UP ON BLOCKS IN THE COLD WITH NO DAMAGE. WHEN I PULLED THE COVER 3 MONTHS LATER, GET IN THE CAR AND BOTH PANELS ARE CRACKED. CAR ONLY HAD 7K ON IT. STAY LIKE NEW IN UNHEATED GARAGED NEVER TOUCHED, WRAPPED UP IN A COVER. DEALERSHIP REPLACED BOTH FOR FREE BUT GAVE ME NO EXPLANATION.
    Is the warranty up at 3yrs 36k miles for the interior????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information