Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What is the Best Octane?

This is a discussion on What is the Best Octane? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; It helped my v6 that was a 4.3L but i dont know about all....

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

It helped my v6 that was a 4.3L but i dont know about all.

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

Higher octane only helps if your computer has a table programmed into it to take advantage of increasing your octane. Otherwise, you're just throwing money out your tail pipe.

Many vehicles have multiple timing tables programmed into them. When it senses a large change in the fuel tank level (you just filled it up) the computer will advance timing until it senses knock, then it'll back off and use whatever table that cooresponds to. Once you're in the top performance table, more octane will not help any more.

I'm guessing you're asking about a V-6 F-body? I've never looked at the computer tables to tell if it helps your particular car or not. The instruction manual may give a hint. I know the instruction manual on my LS1 states the car will run on regular, but increased performance can be expected from premium. Without even looking at the computer tables, this tells me that there is a performance table and a low octane table to run on.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by intheclouds1977 View Post
    Higher octane only helps if your computer has a table programmed into it to take advantage of increasing your octane. Otherwise, you're just throwing money out your tail pipe.

Many vehicles have multiple timing tables programmed into them. When it senses a large change in the fuel tank level (you just filled it up) the computer will advance timing until it senses knock, then it'll back off and use whatever table that cooresponds to. Once you're in the top performance table, more octane will not help any more.

I'm guessing you're asking about a V-6 F-body? I've never looked at the computer tables to tell if it helps your particular car or not. The instruction manual may give a hint. I know the instruction manual on my LS1 states the car will run on regular, but increased performance can be expected from premium. Without even looking at the computer tables, this tells me that there is a performance table and a low octane table to run on.
    actually no im not talkin about an fbody lol. just a '92 chevy 3.1.... my dd, i was just curious if i could make it lol jk

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

3.1 what is that a berreta i wouldnt put the 93 in it lol.

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

My guess would be a 3.1 only has one table in it. Run the lowest octane gas you can find that doesn't cause knocking.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

nah its a lumina haha.
    dont worry im not racing it, i just like to have fun with it when im driving it, only cuz i cant afford anything faster. i was just curious if higher octane made a performance difference in case i wanted to go a little faster one day lol.

please no flaming, im not taking this TOO seriously

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

100+ octane fuel will not make you faster UNLESS you are having knock issues.

91 octane is all we have here. I run nothing but Conoco 91 octane.
    I would NEVER touch that octane booster crap.
    And I am a full point higher compression than a stock LS1 is. No knock.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. 91 is the highest in California as well.

Do you think it's worth dropping in Octane booster with every tank?
    if you cant fnd 92 or better do yourself a favor and get it tuned for the best gas you can easily get especially if its a daily driver octane booster is supposed to do just that but who really knows? some like it some dont one thing is sure it is expensive if your car is stock you could use 87 but it would make noise and not perform real well as far as throwing a code ???????? I really dont care how much gas is but when the bastards take our octane that pisses me off just another way to get rid of "hot rods"

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I remember not too long ago when gas price was the same as octane around here, (3 octane was 93 cents a gallon and so on, can you imagine that today, i would seriously sell my left nut to have prices stay that low. Under 20 bucks to fill a tank lol. We could all race everyday all day and still ahve money for food lol.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    yes. You have the money to buy the car and afford parts for it, so why try to save a few bucks on gas? I hate it when people are like "im looking into buying a ws6, but am worried about gas milage" Its not great, but its not bad either. The only downfall is u have to use premium and w/ a motor like the ls1 im not surprised. U dont buy an ls1 worrying about gas milage.
    in the present state of the country, read what is bolded....

when gas is 3.15 for regular and v power is way more and im not going to the strip you bet your ass im putting regular in...it doesnt hardly matter when you have bolt ons...a cam is a different story.

i dont think an otherwise stock ls1 or a few bolt ons is going to knock from 87.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

exactly.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

The ls1 table is set up for a higher octane which is why the recomend only 91 or up. so it odes actually do damage, i drive 50 min to work everyday alot of times in my T/A its not my DD but i drive it every chance i get, i only use 93 DO THE SAME.

Thats correct, there is a low timing table and a high timing table on the LS1. I found this while tuning my 02 SS with HPtuner.
    From what I have gathered the car goes through a knock learning process depending on the octane you are running and it picks and chooses between the two timing tables (high and low) to eliminate the knock over a period of time.

Technically yes,,,,the LS1 will run on lower octane, but it would probably run off of the lower timing table if it senses any knock, therefore performance would be slightly less, maybe MPG would suffer slightly etc.....And I have read that the engine will continue to use the knock learned timing tables until the fuel gauge has passed 1/2 tank again, the computer is assuming it has been filled up with gas, and the learning process starts over again.

We have 94 octane available where we live and thats what I run all the time. I have tuned the cars timing tables to take advantage of the 94 octane, with that said, It would not be a good idea for me to try anything less unless I get in a pinch,,,or I move where only 91 octane is available,,,,in which case I would have to retune the timing curve to compensate.
    But thats why I bought HPtuner,,,so I have the tools to do so. I didn't want to have to go back to a tuner evertime the quality of gas decided to take a dump,,,,and it keeps getting worse every year. Larry.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i dont think an otherwise stock ls1 or a few bolt ons is going to knock from 87.
    It will when it is spinning in the upper RPM's.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    I agree with that intheclouds1977. That makes more sense to me. Now I wonder how much higher of an octane I get when adding an octane booster to my full tank of 91 gasoline....
    Most octane boosts advertise a certain amount of octane *points* it will boost. Some say they raise your octane 7-10 points! Keep in mind, those points they are refering to are tenths. So if the octane boost says it raises your octane 7 points, it means from 91 octane on the pump to 91.7 octane after the additive if you mix it according to their recommendations, usually 1 can of boost to ~ 10 gallons of gas.

Silver
    2002 Firebird Formula

man thats dumb just get v power you wont be disatisfied at least im not it gets going like a pitbull that just got released.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    Most octane boosts advertise a certain amount of octane *points* it will boost. Some say they raise your octane 7-10 points! Keep in mind, those points they are refering to are tenths. So if the octane boost says it raises your octane 7 points, it means from 91 octane on the pump to 91.7 octane after the additive if you mix it according to their recommendations, usually 1 can of boost to ~ 10 gallons of gas.
    I always thought they were a rip off and now I know they are great info thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information