2000 Trans Am

What actually goes into.....?

I have a 2000 trans am as my daily driver. I am looking to install a cam and was just wondering what your suggestions are. It is my daily driver so I don't want it too choppy, but I do want considerable gains. Any suggestions? And how hard exactly are they to install and is their anything else internally I need to change? Thanks for the help!!!
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

You dont need to take off the heads or the intake manifold, for a cam you dont need to do the lifters if you want to then the intake manifold with come off, otherwise you need a cam, timing chain, valve springs, pushrods and its recommended to get a better oil pump. If you want good gains from a cam and pretty good idle i would go with 114 seperation. Like a 224/224 .584/.584 114 are very streetable cams and still give you about 40-50 or so rwhp but you really should get a tune after its all done. If you dont do lifters all you really need to take apart is the valve covers for springs and pushrods and the front end of the motor for CAM oil pump and timing chain.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    You dont need to take off the heads or the intake manifold, for a cam you dont need to do the lifters if you want to then the intake manifold with come off, otherwise you need a cam, timing chain, valve springs, pushrods and its recommended to get a better oil pump. If you want good gains from a cam and pretty good idle i would go with 114 seperation. Like a 224/224 .584/.584 114 are very streetable cams and still give you about 40-50 or so rwhp but you really should get a tune after its all done. If you dont do lifters all you really need to take apart is the valve covers for springs and pushrods and the front end of the motor for CAM oil pump and timing chain.
    good point-i forgot the lifters are the only thing under the head.

Thread Information