Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Wet Carpet

This is a discussion on Wet Carpet within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hey guys, I need some help.I hope this is in the right section, but I have soaking wet carpet on ...

  1. #1
    Member BirdCountry02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    676

    Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

    Wet Carpet

    Hey guys, I need some help.I hope this is in the right section, but I have soaking wet carpet on just the driver side and I don't know where it came from. I'm gonna look into it, but what I really need help on is the floor pan. I ripped up some of the carpet and I found rust underneath. I know to sand it down, but what would be best to cover it so it doesn't rust up again? Someone mentioned undercoating the floorpan on the driverside, but i'm new to it so i'm not sure. Plus it'll be a while before I can afford new carpet, maybe I could just undercoat it instead of carpet. So do you guys think doing that would work? Or is there something else that'd be better that I could do?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    You could grind off the rust and spray some primer over it to keep it from re rusting.

  3. #3
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    I forget what it is called but when I was helping my dad restore a 71 spitfire we used this stuff that you sprayed on the rust and it got rid of it as long as it's not rusted through and we also use bondo and then had everything painted over.

  4. #4
    Member 1998 T/A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Huron Ohio
    Posts
    759

    Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

    I'd be a little more concerned on where the water is coming from? sounds like it might be a heater core leaking and running down to your driver side floor.

  5. #5
    Member BirdCountry02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    676

    Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    I'd be a little more concerned on where the water is coming from? sounds like it might be a heater core leaking and running down to your driver side floor.
    Don't get me wrong, I am concerned about the water getting in. Especially since I haven't seen any water leaking in, but I HATE rust. When I saw it I flipped. So right now I was just seein what's the best option for taking care of it, if just sanding and priming it's best or if something else is better. Thanks for that scenario though, i'm gonna look into that ASAP. You know how to find out if it is that, or how to stop it?

  6. #6
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    T-top maybe leaking..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  7. #7
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    You know ive been having the same issue actually latly. I visit a carwash that is actually apart of my work so i use it on a weekly basis . im wonding if the highpressure wash forces water in somewhere. either on top or undernieth. not sure. I shampoo vacuumed it (also at my work lol) and sucked up all the water and cleaned my carpets very well in the process. i gotta pull up the carpet and see if anything is on the body. this is a recent development. I cant stand all the water in my car!!!

  8. #8
    Member BirdCountry02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    676

    Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    T-top maybe leaking..
    I thought this... but when it rains, I don't see any water come through the top. I'm gonna have someone spray water til I find it, can't stop it without finding the issue first

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    You know ive been having the same issue actually latly. I visit a carwash that is actually apart of my work so i use it on a weekly basis . im wonding if the highpressure wash forces water in somewhere. either on top or undernieth. not sure. I shampoo vacuumed it (also at my work lol) and sucked up all the water and cleaned my carpets very well in the process. i gotta pull up the carpet and see if anything is on the body. this is a recent development. I cant stand all the water in my car!!!
    Annoying, isn't it? My carpet needs completely removed, but then again it was in bad shape anyways

  9. #9
    Junior Member BlackBirdWS.6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Austintown, Oh
    Posts
    16

    Custom GM White
    86 Fiero GT

    Evapo-rust can get the rust off if you don't want to sand/grind etc but did you smell it? I know it sounds wierd but if it doesn't smell like water then maybe it wouldn't be from underneath your carpet. But how rusty is it?

  10. #10
    Member 1998 T/A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Huron Ohio
    Posts
    759

    Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

    To stop the heater core from leaking you have to put a clamp on the hose going into the firewall...have you noticed any low levels of fluid in your radiator or reserve? that will tell you if it is leaking or not.

  11. #11
    Junior Member BlackBirdWS.6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Austintown, Oh
    Posts
    16

    Custom GM White
    86 Fiero GT

    if your heater core is leaking your car will stink tho cause when mine broke the interior smelled awful and if you would turn your defrost on itd shoot coolant on my windshield.

  12. #12
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Go to the auto parts store or most Walmarts have it. I forgot the exact name think it was in a blue can and it's a rust conversion coating. Sand it down and spray it on and it will look like black primer and if there is any small amount of rust it won't let is spread. I use to use this rust converter when I lived up north and paint would bubble you could never get all the rust in some pits off so you spray this on and then paint it and I never had any rust come back after in the area.
    Bit defiantly find the leak as well or it could create more problems later. As for the carpet just use some resolve shampoo for now and depend of.where you live either leave the windows down and air dry it or you can use a Blo dryer or heat gun to speed it up just be careful with a heat gun.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

  13. #13
    Member BirdCountry02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    676

    Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBirdWS.6 View Post
    Evapo-rust can get the rust off if you don't want to sand/grind etc but did you smell it? I know it sounds wierd but if it doesn't smell like water then maybe it wouldn't be from underneath your carpet. But how rusty is it?
    No it doesn't smell, it's def water that caused it. I just removed the carpet and there was a TON of water. I mopped it up, but the carpets shot to hell. I'll just have to replace it later. The rust isn't too bad, just surface rust. I'm lucky I caught it now before it got really bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    To stop the heater core from leaking you have to put a clamp on the hose going into the firewall...have you noticed any low levels of fluid in your radiator or reserve? that will tell you if it is leaking or not.
    Yeah I don't think they're lower, i'd check em now but it's too dark outside

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBirdWS.6 View Post
    if your heater core is leaking your car will stink tho cause when mine broke the interior smelled awful and if you would turn your defrost on itd shoot coolant on my windshield.
    Yeah, i'm thinkin this isn't it. i'm gonna be scouring the car for water the next time it rains. I'm thinking its sneaking past me so I never noticed it

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Go to the auto parts store or most Walmarts have it. I forgot the exact name think it was in a blue can and it's a rust conversion coating. Sand it down and spray it on and it will look like black primer and if there is any small amount of rust it won't let is spread. I use to use this rust converter when I lived up north and paint would bubble you could never get all the rust in some pits off so you spray this on and then paint it and I never had any rust come back after in the area.
    Bit defiantly find the leak as well or it could create more problems later. As for the carpet just use some resolve shampoo for now and depend of.where you live either leave the windows down and air dry it or you can use a Blo dryer or heat gun to speed it up just be careful with a heat gun.
    Thanks man. I'll have to do this. Yeah, i'm on a mission to find where its coming from. I don't want to find water like this again, when I removed the carpet there was so much stading water

  14. #14
    now greybat66
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    bloomfield nj
    Posts
    481

    navy blue metalic
    1998 trans am conv

    thats one of your ttops its coming down your gasket , u might have a small tear.Also u can go to any auto parts, they sell a spray can that turns rust into primer .Good luck.

  15. #15
    now greybat66
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    bloomfield nj
    Posts
    481

    navy blue metalic
    1998 trans am conv

    Also my best friend had a similar problem but his car is a spyder eclipse and he found out that the water was coming from a hose attached to the ac .

  16. #16
    Junior Member BlackBirdWS.6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Austintown, Oh
    Posts
    16

    Custom GM White
    86 Fiero GT

    Quote Originally Posted by purplebat66 View Post
    Also my best friend had a similar problem but his car is a spyder eclipse and he found out that the water was coming from a hose attached to the ac .
    it could be related to that but for it to leak i think you would have to have the a/c on because it takes the moisture out of the air. But i had a similar problem in my g5 because a drain plug wasn't drilled out so the heater core i believe would fill with water then leak from there and out of the vents and drench the interior

  17. #17
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    i have some kind of liquid material i found on the carpet, it seems old but i never noticed it before. Oh ya and it also seems like oil.

  18. #18
    Pony_eater Pony_Eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Murrieta, Ca
    Posts
    369

    Black
    2000 trans am ws6

    hey post a picture so i can see what amount of rust youre dealing with but SEM makes a great product called rust mort...also POR-15 is a good one to but take a pic so i can see what to suggest to you

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    16
    I had a similar problem in my C5 but the water was in the passenger side and what it ended up being was water not being able to drain for the A/C. There is a rubber tube for the drain with a slit and it was plugged so with the A/C being on for long periods the water could not drain out filled up and drained inside the car.

    The drain had leaves and pine needles and crap in there. Snipped the bottom of the tubes and everything was fine after, the cowl even had a couple of drains so it may be worth checking on an F-body also.

  20. #20
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    I'll second the POR 15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone buy new carpet for their car?
    By mezzoni in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2013, 12:00 PM
  2. Question: OEM Carpet
    By RichR in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 12:52 PM
  3. carpet wet?
    By jrea42 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 08:36 AM
  4. wtb carpet
    By faust in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2007, 05:37 PM
  5. My AC leaks onto my carpet!!
    By GottaHaveLS1 in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 02:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •