Went back to the track...

This is a discussion on Went back to the track... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; 2000 Trans Am WS6 Automatic, all stock My last trip to the track resulted in a 1/4 mile fast of ...

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Went back to the track...

2000 Trans Am WS6 Automatic, all stock

My last trip to the track resulted in a 1/4 mile fast of 15.85 at 90.09. This was because the MAF was messing the whole car up.

Went back to Thunder Valley on Friday with different results.

R/T .067
    60' 2.155
    1/8 9.023
    1000' 11.662
    1/4 13.905
    MPH 100.63

I am pretty pleased now, even though I know it is capable of more. It needs a tune bad, even since its all stock.

The thirst for more speed is intense. I can't wait to do mods this summer.

EDIT: I have a thread asking about whether or not a '94 T/A rear end would fit directly into my '00 T/A. I want to buy this one that I found for sale if it will fit right in. Will it work?
    Last edited by WS6Dream; 04-10-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Much better times. Drop that 60' time down and your 1/4 mile time will drop. And yeah, once you start modding, it's never enough. Ask me how I know......

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

well you got waaay better results! If the 94 T/A rear end is a 10 bolt then its not worth it

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    well you got waaay better results! If the 94 T/A rear end is a 10 bolt then its not worth it
    Agree. Save the money and get a 12 bolt or 9 inch.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Agree. Save the money and get a 12 bolt or 9 inch.
    If I were to get another 10 bolt and change the gears, get stronger axles, and put DR's on it to race with, are you saying the pumpkin is going to snap right away?

I don't really want to spend $2000+ on a rear end right now because I don't have the money.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

if your on a budget and you just need something for the time being then ya i would pick up a 10 bolt from a salvage yard..not everyone can just drop 3500 on a new rear, although it would be nice

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Ok thanks, because that is what I am going to try to do.

I had another question about tuning - anyone here ever use FROST?

I want to get a mail order tune, but I read something about retunes for free within 90 days after the initial tune (if the customer pays shipping both ways of course). Is that how it works? I could get a tune for my 100% stock T/A, then do mods within maybe 60 days and get it retuned for free?

I just want to make sure I am understanding everything right.

Thanks

Edit: "Mail order Tuning includes free updates for 90 days from the time of original purchase with the customer covering shipping and handling both ways."
    From TunedByFrost.com.
    Do updates mean retunes or what does that term include?
    Last edited by WS6Dream; 04-10-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Dream View Post
    If I were to get another 10 bolt and change the gears, get stronger axles, and put DR's on it to race with, are you saying the pumpkin is going to snap right away?

I don't really want to spend $2000+ on a rear end right now because I don't have the money.
    It's possible. I've upgraded mine as far as you can, and I keep chewing up gears. That's why a 9 inch is going in in a couple of weeks. No matter how far you upgrade it, once you start getting good traction it's going to give out. Just a matter of time.

As for Frost, he is highly recommended. I'm not sure about the retuning, but if you are going to do the mods that quickly, why not just wait?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Plus, unless you have access to a car hauler or flatbed, you'll be paying to get the car towed home when the rear does go. If you are seriously looking into doing mods, my advice would be to build up a strong foundation for the power first - ie. SFCs, rear end, torque arm, ect. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Ya, I am definitely going to be doing some suspension work. Also I have a pretty sweet enclosed trailer I will take when I go race it with a different rear end in it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    if your on a budget and you just need something for the time being then ya i would pick up a 10 bolt from a salvage yard..not everyone can just drop 3500 on a new rear, although it would be nice
    Exactly. That's what I was going to say. A few hundred for a 10 bolt to go from 2.73's to say 3.42's is money well spent IMO.

That's what I want to do with my car. It's a mostly stock (and will remain as much for the forseeable future) A4 that sees the track one or two times a year. The ten bolt is fine for me.

Yeah, a 5k clutch drop isn't good for it, but it's not going to see that kind of stress in a A4 car.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

The frost tune for automatic (~$150) will drop that time for sure. Probably best performance MOD for your buck. Right next to a stall.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I finally got back to the track myself. I think the mods in the sig are up to date.

I ran a 13.866 @103.64 I've done SLIGHTLY better. Meaning my personal best is 13.864 or so but with a trap of like 104.??

but my best 60' is a 2.3? so you've got the launch over me and that's important. I'd say for the MPH you did pretty good.
    Magnaflow cat back, adj KYB's, 3 point SFC's, STB, LCA reloc, adj LCA's, SLP lid, Fernco bellows, Strano Springs, Drag Bags, Tick adj Master cylinder, Monster stage3 clutch, speed bleeder, Billet flywheel, MGW shifter, !CAGS

Thread Information