Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

weight on ws6 hoods

This is a discussion on weight on ws6 hoods within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; is it just me or does the sunocoast hood look a little different than the regular ws6 hood?...

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

is it just me or does the sunocoast hood look a little different than the regular ws6 hood?

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

does it? i haven't noticed.. is it opening from the top a disadvantage compared to the front?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

The ram air part is a bit higher and wider. Also the ram air opening are shaped different. The inserts do not remove either. Here's a link to my T/A. I have a bunch of pics there.

2001 Trans-Am

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

nice car

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Thanks!

Silver

Suncoast Ram Air

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    It doesn't really block it off it redirects it and it dumps through a bigger hole from the top. I don't know if it really works better or worse than the stock one. The air passages are really not very big in it. My air filter get dirty up there so I guess it must put some air into it.
    The Suncoast Ram Air is slightly different for two main reasons: first, the Suncoast air path is much larger and lets more air through (the scuttle but was that GM didn't want the WS6 to be able to beat the Corvette so they restricted the airflow), second, our layout was specifically set up to reduce the water intake to the air box.

We've gotten feedback over the years that our system (hood and airbox) adds as much as 25 Hp while the SLP system adds 10 to 15 Hp but I don't have any data to share at this point. Perhaps someone on the forum can offer some timeslips.

I have recently uploaded new pictures of our production hoods to the photo galleries at the Suncoast Web site showing clear views of the underside of all our hoods.

Also, in case you hadn't heard, Suncoast Creations is now Suncoast Automotive Performance, Inc. I bought the company just over a year ago. The previous owner was letting the company die a slow death. I've brought it back stronger than ever. New logo, new website, re-newed committment to the LS1 community.

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

if only it wasnt a dream

I had a dream last night that I was in a custom body shop. I was there to have someone design and make me a custom WS6 carbon fiber hood.

That would have been sweet if it were real.
    '99 Trans Am Pewter M6
    St. Louis, MO
    Mods/upgrades: SLP lid-Longtubes-ORY-LM2 catback, drilled rotors&Hawk pads, MSD wires
    PITA: window motors+regulator, brass gear, DRL sockets X 7
    Soon: clutch, LS6 intake
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I know members here scream about SeaFoam. Many voted for Obama also.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by suncoastprez View Post
    The Suncoast Ram Air is slightly different for two main reasons: first, the Suncoast air path is much larger and lets more air through (the scuttle but was that GM didn't want the WS6 to be able to beat the Corvette so they restricted the airflow), second, our layout was specifically set up to reduce the water intake to the air box.

We've gotten feedback over the years that our system (hood and airbox) adds as much as 25 Hp while the SLP system adds 10 to 15 Hp but I don't have any data to share at this point. Perhaps someone on the forum can offer some timeslips.

I have recently uploaded new pictures of our production hoods to the photo galleries at the Suncoast Web site showing clear views of the underside of all our hoods.

Also, in case you hadn't heard, Suncoast Creations is now Suncoast Automotive Performance, Inc. I bought the company just over a year ago. The previous owner was letting the company die a slow death. I've brought it back stronger than ever. New logo, new website, re-newed committment to the LS1 community.
    It may be a bit late, but congrats on the purchase of the company and good luck with bringing the it back. I think it's the better looking hood out of the others that are around and I get compliments on it all the time. Will your air box kit work better than the K&N FIPK kit that I am currently using? I have the regular 2001 WS6 style. What kind of a deal can you get me on one? You can send me a PM about it if you prefer. Thanks for the info!

Silver

Suncoast Ram Air Kit vs. K&N FIPK

I believe the K&N FIPK uses an element that is 12 by 3.5 inches (42 sq in) and does not form a sealed air path to contain the ram air pressure. The Suncoast Ram Air kit uses a K&N filter 33-2035 which measure roughly 10.6 by 17.5 inches (185.5 sq in) and does contain the ram pressure.

You tell me - which do you think will offer better performance?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

is there any way you can get the ram air hood long w/ the air box kit as a set? also you do need the air box kit to make the hood functional am i correct?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

one more thing, since the air opening is from the top instead of the front would you still need a lid or would the lid need to be removed??

Silver

Suncoast Ram Air Function

The hood and airbox can be bought as a set or separately.

The hood will still function with out the air box, in that it will let air through the scoops and into the engine compartment. It will not be truly "ram air" though. To be a true ram air system the pressure created by your forward motion must be maintained all the way into the air intake system through a sealed air path. To get this you need both the hood and the air box kit.

Many of our truck hoods have been designed to allow the sealed air path to interface directly to the stock air box. Unfortunately, the old Camaros and Firebirds, did not allow this sort of a configuration.

As far as you comment on a "lid", I'm not following what you mean. The hood and ram air kit together form the sealed air path. What lid do you mean.
    Best Regards,

SuncoastPrez

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

the lid that goes over the air filter itself. the way it looks since the suncoast dumps the air through the top it would be coming down where the lid would be covering the air filter. so in order to do that you would have to remove the lid and get the raised air box so that it would seal together. also i couldn't find anything on a set where i could get both the hood and the air box.. where can i get that?

The Slow and the Broke ImportIntimidator's Avatar

Black
    2002 Trans Am

personally, i'd go WS9

FTW!
    Last edited by ImportIntimidator; 10-17-2007 at 10:35 PM.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

nah i still like the ws6 better dont' like that gap between the nostrils

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    nah i still like the ws6 better dont' like that gap between the nostrils
    ummm.... correct me if im wrong, Ws6 hoods have the same gap

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

i guess you're right.. i thought that was it... not sure what the difference is but i still like the ws6 better.. maybe the sahpe of the nostrils? idk

Black
    2002 Trans Am

i guess you're right.. i thought that was it... not sure what the difference is but i still like the ws6 better.. maybe the sahpe of the nostrils? idk
    no its cool, i understand completely. Everyone has a preferance and i dont mean to sound like everyone should like mine. i was just confused thats all. Go with what you like and don't let n e one tell you off, its your care so what other people think

Silver

Suncoast Ram Air

the lid that goes over the air filter itself. the way it looks since the suncoast dumps the air through the top it would be coming down where the lid would be covering the air filter. so in order to do that you would have to remove the lid and get the raised air box so that it would seal together. also i couldn't find anything on a set where i could get both the hood and the air box.. where can i get that?
    M-ten - I think I now understand. You are correct. The Suncoast Ram Air interfaces from the top so it has no lid. It seals to the underside of the hood through the top facing air filter. If you have a different air box, I cannot be sure that it will interface correctly even with the lid removed. The SLP and other kits are open on the front, not on the top. If you have one open on the front, it would be best to seal that off and open the top if you are using a Suncoast hood.

The hood/air box package savings is now properly updated in the Suncoast shopping cart. Look again in the hood descriptions.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh ok thanks hey import where in WI do you live?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information