Thread: waterpump

black with silver stripes
    2001 trans am ws6

waterpump

Last weekend my car sat in the carport and I didn't drive it at all and I noticed a small puddle underneath so I checked it out and it was coolant, the next day the puddle was even bigger and I saw a drip coming from the backside of the waterpump, I refilled the lost coolant and drove the car to work the next day and ordered a new waterpump,well now its not leaking at all and everything is dry and coolant level is where its supposed be. I'm still going to replace it since I already bought a new pump but was wondering if anyone has any explanation for why it seemed to be leaking really bad one day and the next day its completely dry and shows no sign of leakage??

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Can you borrow a pressure tester ?
    I know you're sure it's the pump but unless you can see the leak happening you can't be 100% sure. Plus any extended drive will give you the anxiety of "hope that leak doesn't come back". In my personal experiences, I've been fooled by where I saw the fluids and come to find out the source to be nearby like a hose etc. Just a thought. Plus if you're really, really lucky you can hopefully get a refund back on the pump.
    Or maybe your mileage is high enough to give you peace of mind just installing it as part of preventive maintenance. Anyway, I'll go back to my advice that it's reassuring to discover the source.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

black with silver stripes
    2001 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    Can you borrow a pressure tester ?
    I know you're sure it's the pump but unless you can see the leak happening you can't be 100% sure. Plus any extended drive will give you the anxiety of "hope that leak doesn't come back". In my personal experiences, I've been fooled by where I saw the fluids and come to find out the source to be nearby like a hose etc. Just a thought. Plus if you're really, really lucky you can hopefully get a refund back on the pump.
    Or maybe your mileage is high enough to give you peace of mind just installing it as part of preventive maintenance. Anyway, I'll go back to my advice that it's reassuring to discover the source.
    Ill probably just go ahead and install the new pump just because my car does have high mileage 130k,and it still has the stock 11 year old waterpump,but it just puzzles me how last weekend it leaked alot of coolant out and I did see the coolant dropping from behind the pump(a steady drip)so im pretty sure the leak is coming from the backside of the pump I just couldnt pin point exactly where because of lack of visibility,and here i am driving the car since monday and it hasnt leaked a drop and apparently the stock pump is working correctly because the car isnt overheating or anything,so i cant figure it out but i have the new pump already and a new thermostat and hoses are on the way so i guess ill just go ahead and replace everything for like you said peace of mind and due to the age and mileage on the stock pump.....

Thread Information