Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Want to make my firebird faster!

This is a discussion on Want to make my firebird faster! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Zaccagnini Will that even fit on a v6? Originally Posted by jknelms i had a cat back ...

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Zaccagnini View Post
    Will that even fit on a v6?
    Quote Originally Posted by jknelms View Post
    i had a cat back on my 95 camaro rs, it looked like it had a dual exhaust. but i bought the car like that, not sure if they had to do any modding to it.
    ALMOST all f-body's have the dual tail pipes and the only differance between the v6 and v8 exhaust (of equal generations) are pipe diameter and the manafolds I beleave.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by LS1buckey View Post
    ALMOST all f-body's have the dual tail pipes and the only differance between the v6 and v8 exhaust (of equal generations) are pipe diameter and the manafolds I beleave.
    nah dude, V6's, at least the 3.4 litre engines, have single exhaust out the back.

black trans am

u can get headers, cam cat back and a super charger off of a gtp or a any 3.8 gen 2 eng.... if u want o build up the bottem end or heads look them up for a gnx... the 3.8 is the same in a gnx as it is in the 95-02 f cars if u super charge it u will need a good set of head gaskets and head bolts

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

nah dude, V6's, at least the 3.4 litre engines, have single exhaust out the back.
    Notice how I typed "ALMOST ALL F-BODY'S". Hell I even put almost in all caps so people would know I wasn't talking about "ALL F-BODY'S"

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by LS1buckey View Post
    Notice how I typed "ALMOST ALL F-BODY'S". Hell I even put almost in all caps so people would know I wasn't talking about "ALL F-BODY'S"
    sorry bud, didn't mean to make you pissed, but counting on Almost All f-bods to be duel exhaust is a huge assumption. that's pretty much saying that 95% of all f-bods between 67-2002 are dual exhaust. that just seems like a lot to me.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Buy a LS1, 2, or 3.

White
    2000 Trans AM

I had a V6 3rd gen and I was pretty much asking the same questions a few years ago. Needless to say I wish I had taken other peoples advice and bought a different platform and started there. I would of saved alot of money. If you can afford it I'd buy an LS1. If not, save up... but thats just me.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

all 93-02 v6 camaros had single exit exhaust with one exception. those v6's equipped with the y87 package have upgraded suspension, 3.42's i think, and dual exit exhaust out the back.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
    all 93-02 v6 camaros had single exit exhaust with one exception. those v6's equipped with the y87 package have upgraded suspension, 3.42's i think, and dual exit exhaust out the back.
    well, i know on the later f-bods(V6) i see them with dual exhaust, i just figured after like 2000 or so they all came stock with that. thanks for the information.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

^^^no problem. also to the OP, BabyNate18, here is a link to a v6 f-body website/message forum. has some good info regarding the 3.8. http://forum.camarov6.com/index.php

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    A v8 swap on a v6 car would seriously outweigh just buying a LS1 powered car.

Tranny, rear end, the harness is probably different. Plus the major pain in the ass it would be. Im sure the motor mounts are different... are they not? Just buy a LT1 if you really want that... or step up and get an LS1.

I would never try and make a v6 fast/ have more HP. These things are already money pits... why dump thousands in a v6 and still run mid 13's?
    Yeah, I had considered some V8 mods to mine before I bought the Trans Am. Need to figure out what you are trying to accomplish. Trans Am is a whole new world in handling and performance. If you want as much power as a Trans Am, just buy a Trans Am and dump the Firebird unless you are seriously attached to it.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

sorry bud, didn't mean to make you pissed, but counting on Almost All f-bods to be duel exhaust is a huge assumption. that's pretty much saying that 95% of all f-bods between 67-2002 are dual exhaust. that just seems like a lot to me.
    I'm not pissed just trying to make myself clear. I never said dual as in "true dual" I was talking about the dual tail pipes which most f-body's do have. This is my 4th f-body and all I have owned and most that I've seen have 2 tail pipes.

This all started because I seen some one ask if a muffler from a v6 would fit on a v8, my point from the start was that the only differance between the two is pipe diameter and exhaust manafold size everything else should bolt up fine if the 2 cars or the parts are from the same generation.
    Last edited by LS1buckey; 09-01-2008 at 02:02 PM.

black
    1999 trans am

if ur gonna do a cam.. u must get a better head... lt1's have reverse flowheads so its gonna be pricey but heads just help the cam so much.. its like WOW..

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

hey engine swaps in a v6 firebird are easy dont listen to them i did a 5.3 vortec in my 95 3.4l bird took me about a month me and my friends did it total swap cost was right around 4k with the engine but if i were in the same position again i would just buy an lt1 car saves u time and a shit ton of work

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Time=Money
    Work=Money

And you still got a 5.3 liter.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans AM

just get an LS1

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

ya i agree i saw a 3800 series at the track this summer that was turbo charged and all hopped up. he ran like 12.3 i think which is impressive but he spent just as much money as it would cost to just get an LS1

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    ya i agree i saw a 3800 series at the track this summer that was turbo charged and all hopped up. he ran like 12.3 i think which is impressive but he spent just as much money as it would cost to just get an LS1
    While a 12.3 is a decent time... If he would have dumped all that money into a LS1 he would be in the 11's. SHame.

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

you make a firebird faster by selling it and buying a trans-am

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by adam0321 View Post
    you make a firebird faster by selling it and buying a trans-am
    and when you want something faster you sell the trans am and buy a camaro.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information