Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Vinyl wrapping an entire WS/6?

Here's a stupid question. Please keep the flames of "Don't ruin the paint" down to a dull roar.

I'm working at a company who happens to own a 54" printer. It's used for doing vinyl wraps on vehicles. The mostly do commercial vehicles. It's what they use when they do full graphics all the way around the vehicle, advertising the company or whatnot.

I was considering doing a full car graphic. I was thinking flames going up the nose, down the doors, across the side windows, wrapping around the back window and the tail.

The typical vehicle wraps are fairly 2 dimensional. The templates are line art of the front, sides, rear, and top of the vehicle. With that, the graphic artist makes something that should fit.

The templates from sets that we've bought not only suck, but they have the wrong car shown. At best, they show a '97 T/A, not my '00 WS/6.

Since this is *MY* car, I don't want something that *should* fit, I want something perfect. I want to preserve the RamAir text, and accentuate the hood's ramair ducts (ya, ya, they end at 1 foot, but they look like they extend to the cowl). I want all the art to look fluid all the way around the car. It would be better than a custom paint job, since I could overlay it across my windows, and still be able to see.

Short of spending a week or two wrapping my car in paper and making a physical template to translate into a graphic file for the graphic artist, does anyone have any suggestions? What I'd like to find is an exploded view of what it would take to wrap the whole vehicle, so we can put all the required seams together, so when it's applied, there will be no visible seams, just one solid look.

Thanks.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

well it would be pretty original...

would a scale model car help??

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

I don't know if a scale model would help at all, since the dimensions have to be pretty precise. That was one of our concerns that if we print one graphic for the entire hood (two strips of 54"), they may not line up with the physical features quite right due to the curves.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

saw the guys on hotrod tv do that to their nova. I forget the company that made it for them but it was a pretty cool idea. If/when you get it finished I'd love to see pics of it.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    saw the guys on hotrod tv do that to their nova. I forget the company that made it for them but it was a pretty cool idea. If/when you get it finished I'd love to see pics of it.
    x2 this sounds cool.

White
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JWSmythe View Post
    Here's a stupid question. Please keep the flames of "Don't ruin the paint" down to a dull roar.

I'm working at a company who happens to own a 54" printer. It's used for doing vinyl wraps on vehicles. The mostly do commercial vehicles. It's what they use when they do full graphics all the way around the vehicle, advertising the company or whatnot.

I was considering doing a full car graphic. I was thinking flames going up the nose, down the doors, across the side windows, wrapping around the back window and the tail.

The typical vehicle wraps are fairly 2 dimensional. The templates are line art of the front, sides, rear, and top of the vehicle. With that, the graphic artist makes something that should fit.

The templates from sets that we've bought not only suck, but they have the wrong car shown. At best, they show a '97 T/A, not my '00 WS/6.

Since this is *MY* car, I don't want something that *should* fit, I want something perfect. I want to preserve the RamAir text, and accentuate the hood's ramair ducts (ya, ya, they end at 1 foot, but they look like they extend to the cowl). I want all the art to look fluid all the way around the car. It would be better than a custom paint job, since I could overlay it across my windows, and still be able to see.

Short of spending a week or two wrapping my car in paper and making a physical template to translate into a graphic file for the graphic artist, does anyone have any suggestions? What I'd like to find is an exploded view of what it would take to wrap the whole vehicle, so we can put all the required seams together, so when it's applied, there will be no visible seams, just one solid look.

Thanks.
    how you can post something asking if you should do something and then say don't flame is beyond me.. if you don't want a flame then don't post.... that said, i think it is a bad idea.. you have a beautiful car the way it is.. buy a honda if you want to wrap it in cheap crap.... don't care if it is not cheap price wise, if you do it to your car it will look cheap... save up and get a killer paint job... just my opinion.

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

im with orion and phoenix .....its somthing diffrent done right it could look pretty cool...

green
    98 formula

I think its awesome my wife does all my lettering we thought about getting into wraping vehicles it wont hurt th paint as long as the prep is done correctly and the residue left if you take it off can be cleaned fairly easy the best way to "get it right" would be use some scrap and practice

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by jkicak View Post
    how you can post something asking if you should do something and then say don't flame is beyond me.. if you don't want a flame then don't post.... that said, i think it is a bad idea.. you have a beautiful car the way it is.. buy a honda if you want to wrap it in cheap crap.... don't care if it is not cheap price wise, if you do it to your car it will look cheap... save up and get a killer paint job... just my opinion.
    You should be able to post/ask about anything w/o getting flamed. if you don't think you'd put it on your own car, then nicely say so... that said, if you can't do that w/o flaming then jkicak... GTFO!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think he put that in the first post for you.

NBM
    99 TA

what he meant was... if you have nothing positive to say - don't post in this thread. Simple request, so how about you go back and erase your bs flaming bullshit and move on.

To the op, i think it is a unique idea and would like to see a finished product.
    Just make sure you spend the time to get it right, definitely something that can't be half-assed

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

subscribing for pics

Awaiting Activation

black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    You should be able to post/ask about anything w/o getting flamed.

I agree with that.

Here's my take: although I would not do that to my car, simply because I like the way it looks stock, I find what you are looking into very interesting. When someone does the research and has the foresight to make every attempt to make the project come out right, that is commendable.

I, also would like to see the end result. Sounds awesome.

subscribing for pics.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

any ideas as to what sceme you will think about doing???

Collector Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am CE

This guy in Cabot, Arkansas wrapped his in Mossy Oak camo....It looked stupid as hell, but his car ran ten's...

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by SS/CETA View Post
    This guy in Cabot, Arkansas wrapped his in Mossy Oak camo....It looked stupid as hell, but his car ran ten's...
    here come the flames for arkansas

blue
    1998 trans am ws6

subscribed 4 pics

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    here come the flames for arkansas
    Arkansas.........the only state Kentucky can make fun of. Thank you.....thank you......I'm here all night.

Collector Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am CE

Ehh, it's not like I haven't heard the jokes before. They do get old, though. It was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. After he pulled the vinyl, he had the car painted some weird looking pink by HOK.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SS/CETA View Post
    Ehh, it's not like I haven't heard the jokes before. They do get old, though. It was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. After he pulled the vinyl, he had the car painted some weird looking pink by HOK.

just busting your guys chops. I grew up on the Missouri/Arkasas state line myself. Over in the bootheel on the river.

Thread Information