Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Vehicle Antenna

This is a discussion on Vehicle Antenna within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Do they make plugs for the antenna hole???...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Do they make plugs for the antenna hole???

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

I'm sure you can find something to work. I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere about an antenna delete.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I have a monsoon cassete in it now and im getting a new monsoon cd player and I hate all the stations around here except for like two of them a few counties over. Plus I hate the annoying rrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeee click when i turn on the head unit. I have a damn door ding right beside the antenna so whenever i get it fixed I guess Ill just delete it the right way if I cant find a easy solution .. thanks guys

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Do they make plugs for the antenna hole???
    i took my power antenna off so i culd put my cover on. to keep moisture out this winter until i fix it properly in the spring i left the rubber grommet in and bought a 'hood bumper' to plug the hole in the grommet. thats all i could come up with before the weather turned bad.

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

good info, my antenna is broke too and now I have an idea on how to fix it. Thanks

Silver
    98 A4 TA

If you're into deleting it, you could have a body shop put a patch over the hole and paint it to match. The guy I go to told me it would cost about $100, and he does excellent work. As for the antenna, you may be able to pull the wire, run a flexible one under the trim on the inside of the b-pillar and hook it up. It should pick up stations just as well as the original antenna. Hmmm... another thing to try this weekend while I have all the trim out of the interior.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Thats what I planned on doing. The only ding I have is like 1/2 inch away from that damn antenna. So im thinking get it fixed at the same time...

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

If anyone is going to have their car parked for the winter, and would like to take it out and send it to me, along with the replacement antenna off of Ebay, I would gladly fix it for you, as I am wanting to take pictures and create a nice write-up for the LS1 community. I didn't think about doing that when I fixed mine a couple months back and now I wish I would have. It is an option that I am more than willing to help out with. I helped walk Vannatte through it without any problems. I had originally bought the one from Autozone but took it back when I noticed it wasn't black and ordered the same part from Crutchfield, which as stated before, did have a slight fitment problem but I was able to get it to stay just fine. Personally, I agree that the few extra dollars on Ebay would probably be worth it. Just let me know if anyone would like me to fix theirs, and no I'm not charging to do it, as long as you pay for shipping here, include the new mast or pay me for gettin it off Ebay, and then maybe be nice enough to include $5 in with it all so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping it back to you. I think it would help many people if there were a write up with detailed pictures. Let me know.

P.S. I'm out of college for a month now so it would be a quick turn around too. I'll have it done the same night I get it in the mail and ship it back the next day hopefully.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by stevensmith2000 View Post
    If anyone is going to have their car parked for the winter, and would like to take it out and send it to me, along with the replacement antenna off of Ebay, I would gladly fix it for you, as I am wanting to take pictures and create a nice write-up for the LS1 community. I didn't think about doing that when I fixed mine a couple months back and now I wish I would have. It is an option that I am more than willing to help out with. I helped walk Vannatte through it without any problems. I had originally bought the one from Autozone but took it back when I noticed it wasn't black and ordered the same part from Crutchfield, which as stated before, did have a slight fitment problem but I was able to get it to stay just fine. Personally, I agree that the few extra dollars on Ebay would probably be worth it. Just let me know if anyone would like me to fix theirs, and no I'm not charging to do it, as long as you pay for shipping here, include the new mast or pay me for gettin it off Ebay, and then maybe be nice enough to include $5 in with it all so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping it back to you. I think it would help many people if there were a write up with detailed pictures. Let me know.

P.S. I'm out of college for a month now so it would be a quick turn around too. I'll have it done the same night I get it in the mail and ship it back the next day hopefully.
    Excellent idea. With StevenSmith's assistance, replacing mine was a very smooth and quick process. A sticky would make it easier for everyone because broken antennas are going to become more and more common as these cars age. The combination of his ability to walk me thru the process and me picking the correct replacement mast off of Ebay made this a simple fix. My antenna now works like new. Hopefully everyone else can learn from out mistakes (ie don't buy the replacement mast from AutoZone or Crutchfield because they aren't the correct size).

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

in my earlier post i posted that i used a hood bumper to plug the grommet that the antenna goes through. it didnt seal as tightly as i wanted so i changed it.
    the hood bumper i bought came in a pack of 2 (1 small, 1 large). i originall had the small one in, but wanted the tighter fit. i used a razor knife to trim down the large bumper. it fits much better.

i installed the glass-mount antenna this weekend. i placed it under the sail panel on the pass side and had to use a female plug from radio shack to hook it up. the reception isnt as good as the original power antenna so i may relocate it.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

FWIW-I had a similar problem with mine. Since my car is covered all of the time except most weekends and some other reasons, I opted to take out my electric t/a antenna and install all of the o/e parts for the manual antenna that the camaro has, this way I can just unscrew the o/e long mast when my car is covered and it would also allow me to use this shorter stubby antenna which I really like and works great.
    Here is an older picture from last august before my rims. Pardon the bra, I only use it for two periods a year during love bug season down here. I can either use the stubby honda S2000 type antenna or the long factory mast if I am out in the boonies for better reception. I can always go back to the o/e power antenna any time I want too and the total for all of the o/e camaro parts was just under $20 from gmpartsdirect.com FWIW, YMMV

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

im really not pleased with the sound quality using this hidden antenna i rigged up. i think ill do what you did (cajun firehawk).
    do you know the part numbers for what you ordered? i cant access those pages here at work. (somehow i can access a forum like ls1.com though!)
    thanks!
    '99 Trans Am Pewter M6
    St. Louis, MO
    Mods/upgrades: SLP lid-Longtubes-ORY-LM2 catback, drilled rotors&Hawk pads, MSD wires
    PITA: window motors+regulator, brass gear, DRL sockets X 7
    Soon: clutch, LS6 intake
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I know members here scream about SeaFoam. Many voted for Obama also.

What is the best/recommended lubricant to use on the power antenna? I haven't applied anything to mine in a while, but I would imagine its a good idea to do so.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by transAMchubby View Post
    im really not pleased with the sound quality using this hidden antenna i rigged up. i think ill do what you did (cajun firehawk).
    do you know the part numbers for what you ordered? i cant access those pages here at work. (somehow i can access a forum like ls1.com though!)
    thanks!
    No p/ns but this would be a good start:
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information