Thread: V6 into a V8

white
    1994 firebird

V6 into a V8

Hi LS1 ppl ok so i have a 1994 firebird 3.4L and i am in love with my car but not the speed and i have 5,200$ right now however, I do not know where to start on what engine and trans I need...I found out who going to install it in for me which is great but the main thing is that I really need help on what should I get to put in this car and links will be helpful so i can order them i been looking on summit racing but its not that helpful so again if you can help me with any ideals on where to start and how to get this going it will be helpful thanks lot i am counting on yal.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

The Big Swap: LS Engine - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine
    I remembered this article, and others have asked this same ?. Take your $5200 sell your car and buy a dam nice ls1 car for $7 to $10g's. Just my opinion.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

If you wish to proceed with a swap, your best bet is to source a complete engine, transmission and PCM out of a boneyard F-body, together with the trinkets to install it, including the engine mounts, exhaust and such. You'll also need to modify your fuel system to feed the engine at 58 PSI. If your '94 is a clean and solid foundation, and you are handy with a wrench, it can be done and may be worth it.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Check out the "Frankenbird" thread here on this forum. The same thing you are speaking of is what he has done. Although, he already had a complete drive train from his beloved Trans Am that some A-hole ran him off the road and totaled for him. It is very detailed with picts and step by step what he has done. Prepare yourself for a lengthy project. It WONT be a simple 1 week project. Good luck with whatever road you choose. Although I believe "kingls1" has the better idea.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

I agree with King,to much bother and with the low prices on LS1 4th gens its easy to put twice the value of buying a whole car into the swap.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Welcome to the site!

If you wish to proceed with a swap, your best bet is to source a complete engine, transmission and PCM out of a boneyard F-body, together with the trinkets to install it, including the engine mounts, exhaust and such. You'll also need to modify your fuel system to feed the engine at 58 PSI. If your '94 is a clean and solid foundation, and you are handy with a wrench, it can be done and may be worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    Check out the "Frankenbird" thread here on this forum. The same thing you are speaking of is what he has done. Although, he already had a complete drive train from his beloved Trans Am that some A-hole ran him off the road and totaled for him. It is very detailed with picts and step by step what he has done. Prepare yourself for a lengthy project. It WONT be a simple 1 week project. Good luck with whatever road you choose. Although I believe "kingls1" has the better idea.

Both of these are great suggestions. I have a buddy that is in the process (currently 18 months into the project) of LT1 to LS1 swap. One item not mention was you'll need a K member that is for a LS. Meaning either get an aftermarket K member from UMI or look for one off a 98-02 LS F Body (Camaro or Trans Am).

Like Jeff said fuel system will need to be addressed besides a complete drive train.

Jeremey the guy in the Frankenbird thread was able to do his cheaper then what you'll be doing. Reason being he already had a LSx car that was wrecked. All he had to do was find a roller and swap over stuff.

With budget in mind I would recommend looking for a good LSx car. You'll be much better off and have less headaches. Plus you can keep the 94' and have another F body in the stable.

Now if you're really stuck on doing this build here are some options that can help budget.

You have options with the engine: GEN III & IV 5.3/6.0 truck motors will fit and use the same motor mounts. The 6.0 truck blocks are iron and are heavier then aluminum blocks like the 5.3/LS1/2/6's, but the iron blocks are great for force induction builds. The GEN III & IV 5.3/6.0 truck motors are very affordable. There are some other side issues to address but if interested in this option pm me. It's too much to post. LS1/6's are going to be hard to pick up and costly. Another option is LS2, with is a 6.0 liter Aluminum block. Prices are coming down on these too.

Wire harness & PCM - you're pretty much looking at re-wiring the car. The dash cluster is not compatible to you 94'.
    Fuel system. Fuel pump and regulator easy fix, Racetronix has a great setup. You will need to run fuel lines to handle the increase of fuel and return lines.

Drive train - Like Jeff said get a complete drive train. From engine to drive shaft. Your rear end should be ok, at least for a little while till you start tinkering with the motor.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Sounds like alot of work, but you can make the way you want. I would go the route of just buy a 98-02 Firebird/Trans Am.

white
    1994 firebird

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE GREAT TIPS AND HINTS, and i love my car just the way it is however, when i race my friend 1992 honda prelude and he beat me TO SEE THE TAIL LIGHTS OF A HONDA WHILE BEEN IN A MUSCLE CAR LIKE MINE IS HEART BROKE.. SO my WHITEGHOST Firebird will become a bad azz so with that been said I just found a 6.0 engine for my 94 for 1,500 .. cool i am happy now ... plus i just got a extra 700 for my bday so now i have 4400 left and I been looking for a great transmission... and what is this PCM yal speak of?!?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

it's the computer for the car.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

PCM = Powertrain Control Module. Can also be referred to as an ECM = Engine Control Module. For our cars, the term of choice is "PCM".

Thread Information