Upgradeing air lid, is it compatibale?

This is a discussion on Upgradeing air lid, is it compatibale? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have a 1999 firebird v6 automatic tranny, i have the stock air lid. But i have a ws6 ram ...

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Upgradeing air lid, is it compatibale?

I have a 1999 firebird v6 automatic tranny, i have the stock air lid. But i have a ws6 ram air hood, is it possible to upgrade to the slp airlid? i have the clearance cause i have the ram air hood but i dont know if it needs more than that to work, or if its even possible...so if anybody knows or has an opinion i appreciate it.
    Thanks

Israel Hemp

Red
    2001 ws6

all u wana do is swap out the lids? i dont see it being a problem.....take a picture of how it is now and post it up

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

some one correct me if im wrong but i think that the v6's throttle body is slightly more to the right than an ls1 which is why the lids opening in the rear is to the right instead of being in the middle. I dont think clearance is or was the issue. Im sure you can make it work as long as you fab up a below to connect the lid to the TB properly.
    HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS... EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE!
    **PHK**

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    some one correct me if im wrong but i think that the v6's throttle body is slightly more to the right than an ls1 which is why the lids opening in the rear is to the right instead of being in the middle. I dont think clearance is or was the issue. Im sure you can make it work as long as you fab up a below to connect the lid to the TB properly.
    Correct the 3800II's that have a lid IS more to the right of the motor. I'm not sure you can make a ws6 lid work due to the fact that we 3800II have an 85mm opening in our fly-by-wire setup.. You'd prolly have to offset a piece of 3-4" schedule 40 cpvc which imho would look tacky..

Last edited by Smittro; 02-22-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Correct the 3800II's that have a lid IS more to the right of the motor. I'm not sure you can make a ws6 lid work due to the fact that we 3800II have an 85mm opening in our fly-by-wire setup.. You'd prolly have to offset a piece of 3-4" schedule 40 cpvc which imho would look tacky..

Click for full size
    +1 for tacky

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

save the money you would spend on that to buy an ls1 powered bird then swap your ws6 hood to that car ftw

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    save the money you would spend on that to buy an ls1 powered bird then swap your ws6 hood to that car ftw
    +1 for this too!

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

Click for full size
    ya that would look tacky, but i was thinkin what if i used the intake tube from AIRRAID's custom intake system that you can find in Jeg's and useing an intake elbow for the offset and eliminateing the stock air intake completely...thats why i thought it might be possible. An my reasoning for wanting to do this other than a lid upgrade is one of our fellow ls1 members Bdowning has his whole set up chromed out or somethin it looks amazeing if you havent seen pics of his engine bay you need to.

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    ya that would be nice, but if my job keeps goin the way it is and the economy dont hit rock bottom again i will be looking for a ws6 in august and i can not wait tell i get one. if i could figure out how to post a pic on a thread i would put some new ones up of my car cause my display pic is really old and until i get that ws6 im makin my bird a ws6 clone

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by izzhemp View Post
    ya that would look tacky, but i was thinkin what if i used the intake tube from AIRRAID's custom intake system that you can find in Jeg's and useing an intake elbow for the offset and eliminateing the stock air intake completely...thats why i thought it might be possible. An my reasoning for wanting to do this other than a lid upgrade is one of our fellow ls1 members Bdowning has his whole set up chromed out or somethin it looks amazeing if you havent seen pics of his engine bay you need to.
    That chrome set up that that person has is not a chromed stock unit. He has a thread showing the process of fabbing his set up @ home. As far as I know there's no other like it that I've seen. There's really nothing wrong with our setup imho. You just need to open the lower portion up more to get more cool air in there. I've thought of a custom unit myself a few times but there's very little space between our TB and the upper section of our rad as I'm sure you know. The reciever dryer on our cars sorta makes it look like there's more space than there really is.. I have seen an offset elbow for a smooth bellow it looks like it more a cosmetic than a good funtioning piece because of the way it will interupt flow.. the straiter the better imho.. Piss on the "go get an lsx and save money" crap, our motors when properly build have been pulling wheel stands a hell of alot longer than any lsx motor ever built. A loaded v6 f-bod for example books for more than the standard z28 from the same years.. We've also got over 30+ years behind our motors and our after market is there too. Oh and lets not forget that with a good cam,headers, and a tune we can easily obtain stock lt1 numbers and we're lighter by a few hundred pounds too.
    The 3800II is a different design than the 3.8,3800I ours is the redesigned more compact engine. Our deck height is different and we've got the same stroke but our connecting rods are about 1" shorter than the older setups. This creates a better balanced engine that is just asking to be woken up... Not to mention we actually have desent low end torque stock enough to get side ways if you go too hairy carry with it..

The Doc. is in......
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-23-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Thread Information