Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation The Unique Death of Pontiac

Pontiac was the exception to the way companies go away.

More...

The Solstice was a cute car, I think like a more attractive version of the Miata. Maybe it will maintain value well over the decades.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Pretty vague article.

I thought it had more to do with the recession and GM had to cut something..

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Pretty vague article.

I thought it had more to do with the recession and GM had to cut something..
    What blows my mind away is that everyone points to Pontiac being a "badge engineering" brand but what in the heck is GMC? GMC has been forever the biggest badge-engineerd brand in GM, with next to no differentiation with Chevy's truck line!

They should've either nixed Chevy's truck line and just offered a lighter content trim level on GMC trucks, or killed off GMC all together. Either way, GM's truck products would have leaner operations costs, at both the corporate and dealer/distribution levels, and it really wouldnt hurt GM's truck sales any, especially with Caddy' still offering SUV's.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

The truck market is huge....much more so then the car market.

TX & OK - more trucks sold there then any other states. Truck market is why Toyota stepped up their truck products to be able to compete. So having more then one "company" in the market just helps GM.

So many reason why Pontiac should have stayed and why it was killed off.

Buick/China and politics are the 2 biggest reasons. They love Buick's more then Cadillac's, it accounts for a majority of their sales in China.

I'll agree Pontiac had some POS cars but they also had some great ones. Trans Am, Solstice, Grand Prix's & G8's top my list. However you also had Aztech....enough said.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

TX & OK - more trucks sold there then any other states. Truck market is why Toyota stepped up their truck products to be able to compete. So having more then one "company" in the market just helps GM.

Buick/China and politics are the 2 biggest reasons. They love Buick's more then Cadillac's, it accounts for a majority of their sales in China.

I'll agree Pontiac had some POS cars but they also had some great ones. Trans Am, Solstice, Grand Prix's & G8's top my list. However you also had Aztech....enough said.
    While what you said is true, it wouldnt have taken much to kill GMC or Chevy truck, and still procude and sell the same lefels of trucks/SUV's they always had, without having to have two truck divisions.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

Don't forget the Bonneville. I feel like that car should have been the car the Grand Prix should have been, but a bit sportier than the Bonneville. Two family members own those cars and they are super reliable and just better quality overall. I think they both have 150k on them and never need anything done.

Thread Information