Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

underdrive pullies or gears???

This is a discussion on underdrive pullies or gears??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by clg82 will i have to have my computer re-tuned to compensate for the gear also? Yes, otherwise ...

Red
    2002 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    will i have to have my computer re-tuned to compensate for the gear also?
    Yes, otherwise your speedometer will be off, thus, throwing off your shift points. Not by much, however. Definately invest in a software tuner if you plan on modding your car, which it sounds like your doing. A little pricey at first, but well worth the investment. If you're not computer literate then look at Hypertech or Diablosport. If, however, your pretty good with a pc and are not afraid of a little trial and error then research some pc tuning software like HPTuners, EFILive, or LS1Edit. This software allows for a LOT more flexibility and is good for the life of your car as long as you don't switch over to nitro injection or something crazy like that.
    Otherwise you will be paying a pro tuning shop a lot of money for something you could do at home. Granted there is no substitute for professional dyno tuning, but this is best left for large mods (i.e. heads/cam, stroker, blowers, turbos etc.) and for maximum horsepower extraction. Most shops tune your idle and WOT tables, but leave your part throttle settings alone, leaving you with less than optimum driveability during cruise type driving and stop and go driving. Which is were the software I mentioned really starts to shine. I know this a lot to absorb right now, but having the right info up front can save you time, money, and headaches later. If you're anything like the rest of us on this forum once you get bitten by the horsepower bug you'll never be satisfied with your current setup. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

P.S. If you get your gears changed make sure you have a reputable/experienced shop install them. Make sure they do that type of work on a DAILY basis. Make sure they warranty their work also. I've had a few gear installs go south very quickly because I didn't bother to check out the shop first. While they're in there ask them about your pinion seal's condition if it's questionable just have them replace it(cheap insurance). My .02

Iraq money well spent. TRY ME GT's Avatar

Black on Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

GEARS! It will be a very noticable difference.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002 View Post
    Yes, otherwise your speedometer will be off, thus, throwing off your shift points. Not by much, however. Definately invest in a software tuner if you plan on modding your car, which it sounds like your doing. A little pricey at first, but well worth the investment. If you're not computer literate then look at Hypertech or Diablosport. If, however, your pretty good with a pc and are not afraid of a little trial and error then research some pc tuning software like HPTuners, EFILive, or LS1Edit. This software allows for a LOT more flexibility and is good for the life of your car as long as you don't switch over to nitro injection or something crazy like that.
    Otherwise you will be paying a pro tuning shop a lot of money for something you could do at home. Granted there is no substitute for professional dyno tuning, but this is best left for large mods (i.e. heads/cam, stroker, blowers, turbos etc.) and for maximum horsepower extraction. Most shops tune your idle and WOT tables, but leave your part throttle settings alone, leaving you with less than optimum driveability during cruise type driving and stop and go driving. Which is were the software I mentioned really starts to shine. I know this a lot to absorb right now, but having the right info up front can save you time, money, and headaches later. If you're anything like the rest of us on this forum once you get bitten by the horsepower bug you'll never be satisfied with your current setup. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

P.S. If you get your gears changed make sure you have a reputable/experienced shop install them. Make sure they do that type of work on a DAILY basis. Make sure they warranty their work also. I've had a few gear installs go south very quickly because I didn't bother to check out the shop first. While they're in there ask them about your pinion seal's condition if it's questionable just have them replace it(cheap insurance). My .02
    I know a guy that lives near me with a dyno and all the software you just mentioned and he will do it for very cheap, so i will probably go ahead and get this mod done before i get it tuned. Any idea where I should purchase these gears?

Red
    2002 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Any idea where I should purchase these gears?
    No, sorry. When I had mine done the shop took care of purchasing the parts. I went with a whole new diff, so it came with the gears already. I didn't like the feel of the stock clutch-type diff. So I went with a pro-series Auburn.
    http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...differentials/

If you're looking to buy it online I'm sure any of our sponsors that sells driveline components will have something for you. The stock 10 bolt is common enough to where you'll have plenty of options if you look.
    Check out this link:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/sponsor.php

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

Regearing will throw your speedometer and odometer off. You'll have to retune if you want it to be accurate.

Lower gears (higher numerically) reduces hp and increases torque. You'll lose top speed, but get down the 1/4 mile much faster. Your RPMs will be a little higher on the interstate.

Regear costs about $3-400 installed. You can buy the parts yourself for ~$150 (gears and install kit). However, it takes some pretty good mechanical knowledge to install them and have them run a reliable long life. Setting backlash, etc.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    There not gonna increase hp one bit, but they sure as hell will get u down the track faster. As for what kind are u a 6spd or auto
    6spd=4.10s
    auto=3.73's
    U might wanna take it to a show to get them installed if your not very good w/ tools and cars. Its a bit more involved than changinf ur air filter, or replacing a lid
    agreed, the underdrive pulley will actually give you 6-8rwhp while saving you 2mpg. the 3:73 gears for A4 or 4:11 for M6 upgrade will get your car down the track slightly faster than the 3:23 or 3:4x stock. I've seen good acceleration pick up from the gears upgrade, but no hp gain obviously. and tune the car for the new gears.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Get the gears, hes right about the harmonic balancer, it does do more internal engine damage.

Red
    1990 IROC-Z Camaro

I called up my buddy today, he said he took it to a local shop and they bought the gears installed them and reset the speedometer for $600.00

Quote Originally Posted by 'RocOut90 View Post
    I called up my buddy today, he said he took it to a local shop and they bought the gears installed them and reset the speedometer for $600.00
    you mean gears $220, install $300 and tune $100 or so right?

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

i went from 2.79's to 4.10's in my old bmw, and it knocked almost a whole second off of my 1/4 mile ET. But my car topped out at ~135 mph w/ 4.10's. The main problem I ran into was that I was snapping axles and rear crossmembers w/ that car due to the extra torque. So keep that in mind, your drivetrain needs to be able to handle the extra torque

Red
    1990 IROC-Z Camaro

yeah... in total.

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

In Michigan? $600 is the extreme upper end of reasonable. I bet you can find a much better deal.

What's the reliability of a 7.5 10-bolt with 4.10 gears in it?

Red
    1990 IROC-Z Camaro

Are you joking? Michigan has the worst economy out of all the states, businesses are dieing for business and money. $600 is defiantly an alright deal.

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

Bad economy = low prices. You've got it backwards. There's a reason California is so expensive...their economy is booming!!!

Red
    1990 IROC-Z Camaro

I live here, regardless of how economics are supposed to work, car work here is exspensive. Yeah, maybe other things are cheaper, but car work is defiently not one of those things.

Red
    1990 IROC-Z Camaro

Theirs one thing that people will spend money on here, and thats their cars. People would rather live in their cars then ride public bus transport and have houses. We have no subway. or any style of mass public transport for that matter.

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

I believe you, I'm not from there. I just know how economics works...your statement about that was off. I can see auto work being expensive around Detroit.

I have friends from Michigan (Flint). You're certainly right about the cars vs houses thing.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 'RocOut90 View Post
    awesome thanks for all the help you guys!!!

$600 is about right depending on the shop quality just liker everything else.
    $225 for gears, $300 part and $100 touch up tune LS1Edit or HP Tuners... (not the $400 more indepth tune)

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

00 ta auto has 323 the 373 wil make a differnce i bought gears from summit racing for 180 then another 125 for the deluxe installation kit is a must to change the axle bearings too then probably around 150 to install i used to have a 95 ta with lt1 it had 323 with the auto i went to the 373 made a hell of a difference with a stage 2 shift kit from a transmission shop that car would hit second gear and go sideways no bull,good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information