pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6 convert

Two easy questions for someone who knows..

This is my first post here. I am going through a power steering leak and a bad alternator fix right now. Hoping to put it all back together and get back on the road soon! So far I have been able to do everything with previous posts on LS1.com. So thank you!!! My first question is: When I went to pull off the power steering pump i realized i have no front mounting bracket for the pump. Only 2 L & R bolts. Should i buy this part and install it? Or will i be okay without it? Second question: I also found a leaky hose coming out of the radiator. I cant figure out how to post pics here so i will attempt to explain it. I just would like to know the type and size of the hose so i can replace it. Its coming out of the radiator on passenger side, third hose from the top (cap). It has a threaded fitting to a metal tube for about 6" then the leaky hose with clamp starts. Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any missing bracket on your power steering may affect pulley alignment. Without a pic, its kind of hard to tell and I do not really recall how the pump is attached to our engines. Sounds like a transmission cooler line that is leaking. Is it leaking red transmission fluid or orange coolant?

pewter

Thank you very much for your reply! I cant tell what color the fluid is, its just a greasy mess in that area. So I guess it is probably a trans cooler line. The shop manual I have calls it a transaxle hose and says to just disconnect it and replace. If i am looking at it right...think i figured out the pic thing so i am going to try for confirmation.
    If it is indeed a trans cooler line. Is it pressurized with the engine off? In other words can i disconnect and replace it without draining the fluid?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

In order to post pics you'll need to use Photobucket and get your post count up some.

pewter

Thanks. I have been trying to post pics for the past hour and a half. Grrr. I have photobucket and I have posted pics in forums enough times to know how to do it. I get this error msg from LS1 every time. "Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words."

pewter

How many posts do i need in order to post pics? The page says that [IMG] code is on...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the line with the clamp is the return side to the tranny......as long as the engine is off there's no pump pressure on any of those lines. You can just replace it. If you're not familiar with replacing GM hoses that tranny line clamp on the trans can be a pain in the ass to figure out. It has a little "E" clip that holds the line on. You have to pry that clip out and then the line just pulls out. Put a rag over it so the E clip doesn't go flying because they're a bitch to find if they do.....ask me how I know.

My first move would probably be cleaning those lines up real good and driving it to make sure it is in fact leaking. You may just have residual power steering fluid that's slung all over everything up there and that line may not be leaking. It would be kinda odd for that return line to leak anyhow.

pewter

Okay thank you very much for the input! I have to put everything back together before I can start 'er up. Probably wont be until Friday or Saturday when it is warmer outside. I'm still going to try to get pics up over the next couple of days to verify the hose and show the potential missing front power steering pump bracket. Thanks again every one for your replies...

- - - Updated - - -
    This same hose is rubber for about 6"-8" or so then connects to one of the metal tubes that is clipped and bolted to the alternator.

Last edited by firebirdian; 02-03-2015 at 10:30 AM.

pewter

Hurray it worked finally! So the answer is 5 posts to post pics. Its the hose at the bottom of the pic.

pewter

The first 2 pics are of the power steering pump directly after removing the pulley. The third pic is what the back mount looks like after directly removing the pump.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks like someone monkeyed up the transmission cooler lines at some point. There is a healthy kink in the metal tube. Best bet would be to grab a short section of flared tubing with the correct size nut to thread into the radiator and replace that piece. You will simply cut the tube to the length you need and with a flare tool you can put a but of a bubble in the end that the hose slides over for a more secure connection. Even better, just run a new set of metal lines and ditch the rubber all together. However, as 0rion mentioned, the attachments on the side of the transmission might be the funky clip style that GM is so fond of.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

right.....that line has been tinkered with and that's also not the stock style clamp on there. Where does that line go? Chase it and make sure it doesn't go to an aftermarket cooler. I have my cooler plumbed into that same line and my cooler is mounted in front of the radiator.

pewter

Cool thank you. I had a feeling it had been messed with before i bought it. I looked ther is no aftermarket trans cooler. Maybe ill put one on in the future. Thankfully it is a $15 replacement part. Bought it!
    Any advice on the missing front bracket for the power steering pump? I have to install it the way it was, for now. Until i have the $ for a new bracket...It doesnt seem to affect the pulley alignment... But i certainly could be wrong!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would have to go look at my pump to see what is missing. Could be an ideal part to grab from a boneyard.

pewter

Cool thanks Jeff. I will certainly look into the boneyards in town. In all the vids & pics i have seen for removing the pump have been for camaros. Havnt been able to actually see it on our birds. I assume it should be the same... Thanks again!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

did you ever get that tranny line in? Someone has replaced that or something at one time because that line isn't right. That's the upper end of that connection and should've had a crimpled end on it I believe. The clamped end is on the bottom of that line under the car. Wonder if their soft line leaked at some point and they replaced it? I'm not sure either on that power steering mount. I haven't had to change mine and the only time I messed with it was during the heads/cam and the only thing I did was unbolt it and lay it off to the side. My car is down for the winter or I would look at it. I have some other car stuff to do today and if I think about it I'll pop the hood on the bird and take a look.

pewter

Yup i did. Got the correct tranny line and replaced it today. That is most likely what happened...someone quick fixed it! Thanks Tim i appreciate it. But no need to go out of your way... Im sure ill figure it out at some point.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I looked that pump up on youtube to get a look at what you're talking about. You're missing that "C" shaped bracket it looks like right? I would definitely want that on there. Junk yard trip for sure.

bracket at 5:55

pewter

Yes thats the bracket i speak of. The "C" shaped... Or u shaped from the camera angle... But im not completely convinced that our birds have this bracket.. The Mounting bracket behind the pump does not have any extra holes in it for the additional bolt it would take with the tube washer on it. I have also found another pic here on ls1 that is interesting.. It shows him either pulling a bolt or putting one on the ps pump..with NO front bracket. Here is the link.WTB: LS1 Power Steering Pump! - LS1TECH

pewter

I have searched high and low for the front bracket. When I do various searches for trans am nothing pops up... Anywhere. I search for camaro ps brackets and this is the only thing i have found on ebay. Notice the back bracket is waaay different than the one i have on my bird, that u can see in my previously posted pics.

Thread Information