Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Post Turn Signal Socket- Where to Buy

I looked all over the Forum and practically search half the Internet on a Turn Signal Socket.

They are sold on Ebay for an Arm and a Leg. The dealership sells them for $70 bucks.

If your turn signal blinks a couple time then stays lit... or don't blink at all, it's probably due to the rusted corrosion in the blinker socket. Vehicle washing result in water sitting within the socket.

Use a 10mm socket to unscrew the two under engine bottom panel bolts to reveal the front light sockets. This is much easier than trying to stick your hand through the vent to reveal the socket.

Either at Autozone or their website is where you can pick up the sockets for the best price. Here is the info brother!

Trans AM DRL harness/wiring
    (turn and stop socket with ground tab)
    $6.99 @ autozone. part number 85881

I suggest buying some super grease to lube the plug before installation of the bulb. This way, water will not be able to find it's way in.

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

Were i got mine from autozone worked perfect

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Thanks for the Review

Thanks for the Review on the part man! It'll be helpful to many LS1 owners with this problem.

Last thing I forgot to mention........ there were two missing panel bolts to the underside of the vehicle..... while you guys are down there, you should use your 10mm sockets to tighten up all those bolts. It'll save yourself the trouble of purchasing new ones..

Matt

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Had to replace both of mine lats month. 7.99 autozone They are listed as tail light sockets. they work. i think they are listed as 88-96. They work tho!!!!

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Super

Thanks for the confirmation--------

The part can also be purchased from Kragen Auto Parts for $7.49 with the same part number.

Whatever the case, seal the socket up is a necessity to make sure that it doesn't go bad again.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Make sure that you don't have any cracks in the housing. I tried the sealant and everything on mine, but when the water sits on it for a long time it just degrades the grease and gets in there anyways. The housing should not be getting any fluids inside. I replaced both of mine because there were micro cracks in them and I haven't had a problem with them since. Plus, the new housings have a reflective coating in them and they look a lot brighter than they did before.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Post Drilling Some Holes- Water Release

As I was checking out how the socket sit inside of housing, horizontally speaking, water settled inside of the socket after a wash. I haven't replaced the socket as of yet, but I think the wear and tear will be minimized if the socket sat vertically with the bulb pointing down in the housing. For this to happen, one would have to cut a hold in the housing..................

Another thing that could be done is to drill a couple holes in the housing so that the water will not reside in the housing. The Drilled water hole release can also be performed in the License plate well in front and rear of the vehicle. Water Typically reside their and deteriote the clear coat after a wash if you don't dry well.

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Make sure that you don't have any cracks in the housing. I tried the sealant and everything on mine, but when the water sits on it for a long time it just degrades the grease and gets in there anyways. The housing should not be getting any fluids inside. I replaced both of mine because there were micro cracks in them and I haven't had a problem with them since. Plus, the new housings have a reflective coating in them and they look a lot brighter than they did before.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I drilled the holes before replacing the socket and not a week after I drilled the holes my driverside lens cracked like crazy. Don't know why. Best advice is to get new ones.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Wink Brittled

Those lens are very brittle Mike, especially when they are old. I doublt it cracked from your drilling. It's probably due to road debri....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    I drilled the holes before replacing the socket and not a week after I drilled the holes my driverside lens cracked like crazy. Don't know why. Best advice is to get new ones.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Sorry, Didn't mean to make it sound like the drilling cracked it. Just that it didn't help any.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I keep blowing lights everytime i go in the 10 dollar laser wash/wax. My fog and turn signals are hairline cracked... since I got the car. Im on light bulb #7 right now... .. lol

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Replace the housings, and stop going through the auto washes. Those things can do some damage.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Angry

My DRL flooded during the last heavy rains and shorted the socket and the bulb so after reading this thread i took a trip over to autozone to get a new one today. I checked online to make sure they carried it and had it instock at the local store near me. I got there gave the salesperson the part number that it uses and she swore up and down it didnt exist. I tried telling her its on the website and everything but she didnt believe me . So i just walked over to the place where they kept the sockets and low and behold there it was, so I walked up to the counter to pay for it with a nice smug smile on my face. If her head could of exploded it would have. But the day gets better not two blocks from my house a cop pulls me for not using my turn signal, I showed him the parts and told him I was about to fix it but he didnt care he still gave me a ticket for it .

Pewter
    00 Formula M6

Thumbs up

yep just got mine saturday from autozone as well came with butt connectors as well.

weberje
    Great Info!!!

Think I'll be taking a trip to autozone. Thanx guys! Oh, and I think I will nix the drilling weep holes and go for RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) sealant. Is what we use on our jets, so must be somethin to it!
    peace.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up The Shitzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boy! You sure had a shitttttty adventure with the light. Hope you had a fix it ticket rather than a balance due one. Since I brought this thread up, it sure shows how many out there are having problem with this socket thing! Glad I can point it out to many.

Only if that counterperson at Autozone could of checked their system for inventory, it would of shown it's in stock. That part number actually works for Kragen and many other stores as well. Those socket will run the lowest for $26 bucks on EBAY. Speak about and arm and a leg. Hope you purchased two and replaced the both of them.

I will purchase and replace mine this Saturday... seal it up good upon installation......pipe putty or some other sealant would be much better than grease.

Matttttttttttttttttttttttt

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Wink Not In Stock.......................

Yah.. that sealant would be the best, though you have to do it in a way where replacement of the bulb may be a necessity in the future......it's not the water getting in, it's the rust that evolved which is the problem. I couldn't believe how bad it looked upon inspection after purchasing the used 2000 TA.

Thank Heaven you guys don't live by me..... you would be purchasing all these sockets before I get to the store this weekend.

Matttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

nope nice lovely ticket since he considered it a moving violation instead of something that was broken. the best part is i live in the city of greensboro but the neighboring highpoint cops patrol our area and they are a bunch of assholes they will pull you for anything they can find.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Lightbulb Sealed Socket Bulbs...........

Even though the Officer was a jerk about the signal, you probably would of had a good argument with him if you stuck your hand out and used a right turn signal! hahahahaha

Hell man, my turn signal blinks a couple time and just plays dead... it's the corroded rust contact.

Drop a dime and purchase some sealant so you don't have to deal with it for the next couple years.

I'm going to replace both sides this weekend....

As a matter of speaking, I wonder if we can get bulbs already sealed in the socket as a one piece..... that would sure be better.

Mattttttttttttttt

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Probably could have argued till blue in the face and still would of gotten it. My driving record is a little on the long side though clean for 3 years now, well it was until today, but they dont care all they see is the dozen or so speeding tickets, multiple wrecks and a street racing ticket that got reduced to excessive speeding on my record from my more wreckless days.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information