green
    2000 trans am

Turn Signal Bulbs Keep Going Out!!!!

Well, it seems like just about everyone has bulb problems with ls1 f-bodies, so maybe someone out their has some good knoledge in how to fix this problem. So far, i have replaced the connector were the bulb sits, the first time i noticed it was very corroded, and had moisture build up. So i went to a local f-body junk yard and got myself some used rear tailight connectors ( which are in better condition). i noticed that this time, the actual housing is cracked, and i wonder if maybe thats the reason it gets a lot of moisture in their, i'm not sure, but is their any other style of connector that will fit that same style of housing?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

There is a bunch of threads about this.

New sockets at autozone. 8 bucks a piece.

You can get DRL housing decently cheap on ebay or one of our sponsors.

or you can use clear silicone and seal them up.. I took silicone and super glue. Sealed them, and then buffed them.

green
    2000 trans am

thanks man, i will give it a shot today.

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Autozone has them for our blinkers. They are around ten bucks.
    3" MagnaFlow CatBack w/Corsa (clone)Tips, Lloyds Custom Floor Mats, SLP Lid, Pro 5.0 W/ Lou's SS, 7.5" Eaton Locker w/3.73, KYB AGX, BMR LCA's, FRA, SSE, 5% Tint, 18x9 C5 Rims w/Falken 452

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

got my sockets at orileys for $4 each. . . be aware tho, most of the time when they look it up, it brings up a part that is $55 and is not in stock. advanced and autozone did this too. i just looked until i found it in the electrical section. the socket says its for a 3157 bulb which is the same style housing as our 3357 ones.
    but your just gonna keep havin issues if you dont change your housing. this is the main cause of this common problem.

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Mine kept getting wet, killing the bulbs every other week. I cleaned the sockets real well, sprayed them with brake clean to get the water out, then when I put the new bulbs in I used a shit load of dielectric grease in the sockets. Have not had a problem in 6 months.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    There is a bunch of threads about this.

New sockets at autozone. 8 bucks a piece.

You can get DRL housing decently cheap on ebay or one of our sponsors.

or you can use clear silicone and seal them up.. I took silicone and super glue. Sealed them, and then buffed them.
    Yeah, those areas are not as water tight as what some people think. Silicone is the way to go.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Cracks in the housing are the problem. I replaced both of mine over a year ago (and the sockets cause of corrosion) and haven't replaced a bulb sense.

Black
    00 WS6

A new socket from Autozone fixed my problem........now I just need to stay out of the rain.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

so its a combination of 2 pobs that cause this...1 is the shitty gasket thing on the socket itself..it is small and allows for water/moisture to gather..the second is the bulb runs to hot and cracks the plastic..once this plastic cracks..it allows water from the headlight area to get in causing all those issues. You can go to the same place where you get the window motor fixes and they offer new larger gaskets..then comes the fun part..venting the housing..you can do that or even try putting some tape over the area that cracks/does and see if that fixes it. just a cheap idea...good luck.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    so its a combination of 2 pobs that cause this...1 is the shitty gasket thing on the socket itself..it is small and allows for water/moisture to gather..the second is the bulb runs to hot and cracks the plastic..once this plastic cracks..it allows water from the headlight area to get in causing all those issues. You can go to the same place where you get the window motor fixes and they offer new larger gaskets..then comes the fun part..venting the housing..you can do that or even try putting some tape over the area that cracks/does and see if that fixes it. just a cheap idea...good luck.

what i want to know is how good of quality are the new ebay housings compaired to the gm ones or any other available ones; because these are pretty much a inevitable "will need to change" just like the sockets
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 08-14-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Thread Information