Results 1 to 16 of 16

tuners

This is a discussion on tuners within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Would anyone be able to help me choose whether to go with a diablo sport tuner or a mail order ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member redrocketws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    30
    Posts
    93

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    tuners

    Would anyone be able to help me choose whether to go with a diablo sport tuner or a mail order tune? I have someone at my work wanting to sell me a tuner and i don't know if i should buy it from him because i dont know how much power i would get compared to sending it out to Frost. And another perk with the diablo.. i would be able to change what i wanted to instead of sending out my computer everytime i needed too. any pro's and con's would be appriciated

  2. #2
    Senior Member raynor139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,319

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Frost will do a hell of alot better tune for you then any handheld ever will.

  3. #3
    Junior Member redrocketws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    30
    Posts
    93

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Frost will do a hell of alot better tune for you then any handheld ever will.
    I guess that is all the persuasion i need.. for 125 you can't really beat that for a mail order..

  4. #4
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Handheld tuner... is a waste of money.
    And don't worry about having to send you computer out all the time...because you won't really have to. Typically people do the bolt on mods and remove some emissions equipment and send their PCM to Frost. You'll get it back and most likely drive it around like that for a summer or two...then get bored and wanna do heads and cam. Send the pcm to frost for a baseline tune or you'll have to go to the a local tuner.
    The Handheld tuners don't offer up enough adjustability to actually tune a car completely.
    If you're worried that you'll be changing gear ratios, tire sizes, and engine set-ups alot, then you should look into getting HPtuners so you can tweak everything and anything at anytime.

  5. #5
    Junior Member redrocketws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    30
    Posts
    93

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Handheld tuner... is a waste of money.
    And don't worry about having to send you computer out all the time...because you won't really have to. Typically people do the bolt on mods and remove some emissions equipment and send their PCM to Frost. You'll get it back and most likely drive it around like that for a summer or two...then get bored and wanna do heads and cam. Send the pcm to frost for a baseline tune or you'll have to go to the a local tuner.
    The Handheld tuners don't offer up enough adjustability to actually tune a car completely.
    If you're worried that you'll be changing gear ratios, tire sizes, and engine set-ups alot, then you should look into getting HPtuners so you can tweak everything and anything at anytime.
    ah i don't plan on changing to much as far as tires or gears for a long time. i was going to twin turbo it being i know a guy who builds custom systems but i'm putting that on the back burner. i am just trying to get the car paid off so i can start playing around with it. what does anyone know about the SCT tuners?

  6. #6
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    All handhold tuners are a waste. I know SCT is popular with Ford people and I'm not a aware that they make one for LS1 cars.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    dude just send one out to frost. If you are just getting like a catback or something dont even worry about a tune itll be a waste of money. If you are thinking about getting a tune after every little mod you do dont worry about the tune, itll be a waste of money, again. Wait until you get a nice mod list on your car, then send it out. I sent mine out when i had a different lid and filter, spark plug wires, a clutch, LTs, ORY, and a catback. Now i have a cam and other supporting mods and got it tuned by a local guy. My vote is for frost for every external and common BOLT ON you can do. If you get any internal work, go with a dyno or a very good local guy who knows his shit.

  8. #8
    Junior Member redrocketws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    30
    Posts
    93

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    All handhold tuners are a waste. I know SCT is popular with Ford people and I'm not a aware that they make one for LS1 cars.
    Oh they do, atleast now. I just got their new product catalog here work and they show the hand held ones. i'll probably just do the mail order one from frost..for the money and what i could get out of it is probably far better than any hand held like stated earlier. I'm just interested in what kind of gains are possible with frost.

  9. #9
    Junior Member redrocketws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    30
    Posts
    93

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    dude just send one out to frost. If you are just getting like a catback or something dont even worry about a tune itll be a waste of money. If you are thinking about getting a tune after every little mod you do dont worry about the tune, itll be a waste of money, again. Wait until you get a nice mod list on your car, then send it out. I sent mine out when i had a different lid and filter, spark plug wires, a clutch, LTs, ORY, and a catback. Now i have a cam and other supporting mods and got it tuned by a local guy. My vote is for frost for every external and common BOLT ON you can do. If you get any internal work, go with a dyno or a very good local guy who knows his shit.
    well..dude.. the car has the intake headers and slp exhaust minus cats.. i wanted to get a better tune on there since it is more free flowing. that's all. now if someone like frost or cutlass that seem to know their shit can tell me it might not be beneficial for a tune yet, i'll hear them out..anyone. hey that's why i am here..for suggestions.

  10. #10
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Quote Originally Posted by redrocketws6 View Post
    well..dude.. the car has the intake headers and slp exhaust minus cats.. i wanted to get a better tune on there since it is more free flowing. that's all. now if someone like frost or cutlass that seem to know their shit can tell me it might not be beneficial for a tune yet, i'll hear them out..anyone. hey that's why i am here..for suggestions.
    yes, a tune will benefit you at this point.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Another vote for Frost.

    Our car came with a handheld that is now relegated to monitoring engine data. Frost did a mail order on our car several months ago and it runs great. I have a wideband and the air-fuel ratio is on the money throughout the operating range.

  12. #12
    Member sjgreen6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    476

    Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

    I recently sent my computer out to Frost (Steve) on Saturday, got it back on Wednesday. My car has a lid and cat back only but the difference in the tuning was amazing. Probably especially so because I have an auto trans and he did some great things with the shifting points and firmness and tuned down the torque management on the transmission.

    When you first reinstall it will take a few minutes for the computer to relearn the basics so don't panic if it hunts and won't idle smooth for a couple of minutes. After a long ride everything smoothed out and ran great. Much smoother in the low gears and no hunting around between first and second. Very happy!

  13. #13
    Junior Member redrocketws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    30
    Posts
    93

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    I recently sent my computer out to Frost (Steve) on Saturday, got it back on Wednesday. My car has a lid and cat back only but the difference in the tuning was amazing. Probably especially so because I have an auto trans and he did some great things with the shifting points and firmness and tuned down the torque management on the transmission.

    When you first reinstall it will take a few minutes for the computer to relearn the basics so don't panic if it hunts and won't idle smooth for a couple of minutes. After a long ride everything smoothed out and ran great. Much smoother in the low gears and no hunting around between first and second. Very happy!
    that sounds nice. I won't have to worry about the shifting with the M6, my main concern is the engine. I mean the car runs great right now and throws me into the seat with the nitto street slick tires that came with it but i know it can be better.

  14. #14
    Member Rob Mellinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    112

    White
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Thumbs up

    Go with Frost you wont be sorry! The car will run a lot better.
    LS6 intake,B&M short shift, Pacesetter ceramic lt, ory, umi subframe connectors, umi lca, slp lid, tr 230 cam, comp 918 springs,centerforce dual friction clutch, Frost tune.

  15. #15
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    All handhold tuners are a waste. I know SCT is popular with Ford people and I'm not a aware that they make one for LS1 cars.
    theres nothing wrong with SCT. We use their software to tune all the time. the handheld is just a way to store the tune and you can allow user options(timing, shift points, etc) but they can also be locked out. You can store 3 custom tunes on them where as a mail order you have one tune with usually no adjustability. And tuners who use this software arent hard to find. Diablosport you can do the same thing with its just slower.

  16. #16
    Junior Member redrocketws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    30
    Posts
    93

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    theres nothing wrong with SCT. We use their software to tune all the time. the handheld is just a way to store the tune and you can allow user options(timing, shift points, etc) but they can also be locked out. You can store 3 custom tunes on them where as a mail order you have one tune with usually no adjustability. And tuners who use this software arent hard to find. Diablosport you can do the same thing with its just slower.
    But for someone who has no backround with tuning, i'm sure it wouldn't be advisable for someone to use the SCT. thats where the mail order comes in handy. expecially since i am not always changing stuff like you guys.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tuners
    By planemech2 in forum Rocky Mountain Members
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 07:07 PM
  2. Tuners
    By black1993z28 in forum Eastern Members
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 01:40 PM
  3. tuners for a 98 TA ls1
    By 98_Ws6_scooter in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 05:51 PM
  4. Tuners? Mi
    By SALEENNOTCH in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 08:18 PM
  5. HP Tuners
    By jimmyboy8301 in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 07:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •