Results 1 to 19 of 19

Tune up!

This is a discussion on Tune up! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; so i got new irridium spark plugs and some plug wires and a K&N air filter from the auto store ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    88

    Tune up!

    so i got new irridium spark plugs and some plug wires and a K&N air filter from the auto store today, cost round 166. then i payed my friend 40 bucks to install it all. it took bout 3 hours, so total cost a lil over 200, where as shops charge 500! if u guys know ppl that can do it for you for free or cheap price or even you do it yourself its a lot cheaper!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    373

    black
    1998 pontiac trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad5150 View Post
    so i got new irridium spark plugs and some plug wires and a K&N air filter from the auto store today, cost round 166. then i payed my friend 40 bucks to install it all. it took bout 3 hours, so total cost a lil over 200, where as shops charge 500! if u guys know ppl that can do it for you for free or cheap price or even you do it yourself its a lot cheaper!
    yup. i'm all about doing whatever i can myself. did you watch him so you can do it yourself next time? or did you already know and just not have time to do it?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    88
    i was kinda watching. lol. since im 17 and only work 12-15 hours a week i dont make much..i could get more hours but i did that all this and last year and i wanna just enjoy myself while i still can, so im gonna do lil mods here and there..(new Hurst shifter knob since my hurst ne now is worn) then an SLP air lid, then customn "Trans Am" fuel rail covers, then i guess save for headersand by then il have a better job and im gonna save 2k for a tranny rebuild

  4. #4
    386HP 373TQ jwindbigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego...Michigan originally
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,426

    Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

    Get some more hours, and do as much as possible on your own. Hell, I have no mechanical schooling at all, and I replaced my cam by myslelf. Hell, I have done an entire engine swap. Besides man, if you have any questions, just ask here on the forum, and any of us will be glad to share our $.02

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    373

    black
    1998 pontiac trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad5150 View Post
    i was kinda watching. lol. since im 17 and only work 12-15 hours a week i dont make much..i could get more hours but i did that all this and last year and i wanna just enjoy myself while i still can, so im gonna do lil mods here and there..(new Hurst shifter knob since my hurst ne now is worn) then an SLP air lid, then customn "Trans Am" fuel rail covers, then i guess save for headersand by then il have a better job and im gonna save 2k for a tranny rebuild
    i'm rebuilding my motor now. almost done. then i'll do my suspension. i'm looking for another M6 tranny too. one that already needs rebuilt cause i want to rebuild it myself. taking shit apart has always been kinda second nature for me. i may not be quick at it but i like doing stuff. i learned alot by watching.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    373

    black
    1998 pontiac trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
    Get some more hours, and do as much as possible on your own. Hell, I have no mechanical schooling at all, and I replaced my cam by myslelf. Hell, I have done an entire engine swap. Besides man, if you have any questions, just ask here on the forum, and any of us will be glad to share our $.02
    he's right. there is ton of info here.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    88
    yeah but theres only 3 monhts of school left, then ill have summer to work more and in september ill be a senior getting out of school early and ill be 18 to get any job i want basically..for now i really would like to relax but yeah 75 bucks a week isnt quite enough right now for me

  8. #8
    386HP 373TQ jwindbigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego...Michigan originally
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,426

    Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

    Relax at school. Go out and make some $$ so that you can get the mods that you want over the summer. Then come back as a senior with a true badass car. Thats what I would do.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    88
    well ever since my friend with a c5 vette started homeschooling i have the most badasscar in school lol, only competition is an lt1 trans am. then some stupid ass mustangs thats it

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    88
    if i had kept my old job id be pulling in a wopping 120 a week which is about 100 dollars to save towards parts a week after gas and what not. sometimes 80 on a bad week. but now at this new job i only work weekends...i justhave a lot of stuff to take care of, grades(i want to go to berklee college of music) i workout so i dont want to be at work all the time and not be able to goto gym, and other stuff..i think im just gonna deal with this for the remainding months, work mroe in the summer, and then get a job paying more and more hours this year. back when i was working 4-5 days a week, it was depressing never getting to hangout with fiends on fridays or saturdays..between school, work, gym, studying i need time to chill out. if i dont work hardin school now then when i get older i wont have any real money, even though what you guys are saying would be cool, 100 dollars a week now, if i dont concentrate enough i may be makint hat much a week for the restof my life lol

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    373

    black
    1998 pontiac trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad5150 View Post
    well ever since my friend with a c5 vette started homeschooling i have the most badasscar in school lol, only competition is an lt1 trans am. then some stupid ass mustangs thats it
    in high school, everytime it rained i had to tune up my bad ass car........ it was a plymouth valiant. LOL can anyone guess what i mean by having to tune up everytime it rained? i wanna see if you guys get it right.

  12. #12
    386HP 373TQ jwindbigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego...Michigan originally
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,426

    Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

    Were you running open headers, or no intake filter at all??

    Brad, keep those grades up, and whenever you have a chance to pick up a couple of bucks...like mowing yards, ect, go ahead and do it. $20 here and $20 there really adds up quick. You sound like you are on the right track. Keep it up, and keep us updated on your T/A. Post some pics if you have them.

  13. #13
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    LS1 land
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad5150 View Post
    i justhave a lot of stuff to take care of, grades(i want to go to berklee college of music
    wow, u have some high asperations. Hope it all goes well for you!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    373

    black
    1998 pontiac trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
    Were you running open headers, or no intake filter at all??

    Brad, keep those grades up, and whenever you have a chance to pick up a couple of bucks...like mowing yards, ect, go ahead and do it. $20 here and $20 there really adds up quick. You sound like you are on the right track. Keep it up, and keep us updated on your T/A. Post some pics if you have them.
    nope and i had a filter - here is a clue
    well it wasn't really a tune up, but it was a problem with my spark

  15. #15
    Member sirenformula350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    33
    Posts
    597

    Silver
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad5150 View Post
    if i had kept my old job id be pulling in a wopping 120 a week which is about 100 dollars to save towards parts a week after gas and what not. sometimes 80 on a bad week. but now at this new job i only work weekends...i justhave a lot of stuff to take care of, grades(i want to go to berklee college of music) i workout so i dont want to be at work all the time and not be able to goto gym, and other stuff..i think im just gonna deal with this for the remainding months, work mroe in the summer, and then get a job paying more and more hours this year. back when i was working 4-5 days a week, it was depressing never getting to hangout with fiends on fridays or saturdays..between school, work, gym, studying i need time to chill out. if i dont work hardin school now then when i get older i wont have any real money, even though what you guys are saying would be cool, 100 dollars a week now, if i dont concentrate enough i may be makint hat much a week for the restof my life lol
    yep keep it up It'll definitely pay off. I am in a similar boat. Still in school but about to graduate in 08 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. A little sacrifice now will be big payoff later. Do what you can to the car now but don't let it get in the way of school. Just think of what you could do to the car when you start making +100K a year

  16. #16
    386HP 373TQ jwindbigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego...Michigan originally
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,426

    Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

    Quote Originally Posted by rbrtlux View Post
    nope and i had a filter - here is a clue
    well it wasn't really a tune up, but it was a problem with my spark
    Did you not have a cap on your distributer??

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    373

    black
    1998 pontiac trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
    Did you not have a cap on your distributer??
    ding ding ding ding. justin is the winner. i actually had the cap on but it had a friggin crack in it and everytime i hit a puddle in the rain, the damn car would stall. that's a slant 6 for ya. i was young, so it took me a couple of rains to figure it out.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    88
    hahah now im more motivated to mod theres a red LS1 ws6 at school now that i saw.im gonna try to get some intel and find out if its stock

  19. #19
    386HP 373TQ jwindbigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego...Michigan originally
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,426

    Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

    Do the free mods for now. ls1howto.com. Thats a great place to start if you are looking to mod, and do it youself.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Custom tune, HP tuners, or PCMFORLESS TUNE
    By cancam99ss in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-29-2012, 10:09 PM
  2. Question: Frost tune or Dyno tune?
    By 90ARAPAJ in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 01:38 PM
  3. hypertech tune erase my dyno tune?
    By Z28LS1 in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
  4. whats the diff with a full dyno tune and a street tune?
    By Justin23454 in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 07:31 AM
  5. Handheld Tune?shop Tune? software running on my laptop tune?on my SS
    By showtimesteele99SS in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 06:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •