Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Trying to choose between 2 T/As?

Hi every one,

I have a dilemma that I want to ask everyone’s input. I’m looking at two T/A’s for sell.

T/A 1: 1999 Black, T-top, needs some touch up on paint
    Performance upgrades: Comp Cam 224/224 .566 lift with Comp valve springs Corsa exhaust Hooker ceramic coated Long Tube headers Ported stock throttle body SLP Lid with K/N air filter Granatelli MAF sensor Z06 Clutch Hurst shifter 18 and 19 inch black powder coated C-6 Rims Flip down Alpine MP3 CD player
    $6,200
    150k miles

T/A 2: 1978 Trans Am Special Edition (a.k.a. Bandit Trans AM), Black (No decals)
    Pontiac 400-4bbl engine (not numbers matching), WS6 performance package
    15x8 Snowflake wheels with good BFG Radial T/A tires.
    Deluxe (top of the line) interior
    TH-350 3-speed automatic transmission
    Power windows, rear defroster, and power trunk release

Owner has documentation from Pontiac Historical Services to prove that the car is a real Special Edition, and that it came equipped with the WS6 performance package.
    Owner states that it is NOT A SHOW CAR. It is 30 years old, and has been driven regularly for the last 8 years, and was a daily driver until recently. Overall, the car is in better-than-average mechanical condition for a car of its age, but it does have some problems. Yes, the T-tops leak, and this has rusted out one of the rear floor pans.

Now I know everyone will say “Get both!!”….AND I thought the same thing, however;

T/A 1 is the one I have been wanting and focus on until I came across this jewel and it already has some of the mods I was going to add to it.

T/A 2 is like the Holy Grail to me but I afraid it will become a money pit and I will never be able to restore it to the proper glory it deserves.

Whichever one I get it will be my first project car. Also I have seen pics for both and both respectively are in good shape.

Please give me some input….

Mystic Teal/Chameleon grn
    1998 TA

Do not pay $6200 for a car with 150000 miles on it. I picked up my 1998 TA with 77k miles on it for $6100

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by greenTA View Post
    Do not pay $6200 for a car with 150000 miles on it. I picked up my 1998 TA with 77k miles on it for $6100
    Talk the guy down. Unless the motor was rebuilt/replaced, no way in hell should you fork over $6200.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Navy Blue Metallic

I agree on the 99' T/A, but any opions about the 78'?

White
    1998 Trans Am

I would go 78. I missed out on a great one 78 black TA with all the gold accents about 10 years ago before prices went up. The guy sold it while I was going to get him the cash from the bank. I had to wait till it opened the next day and I guess someone brought the cash with them. Love my 98 but would have loved to have the 78 right now. 150k is alot of miles.

Navy Blue Metallic

I know 150k is a lot of miles, but my plan is to make either one my first project car and I plan on never letting go once I get one....

I love the Year One clones but DAMN....they want a house payment for them? Who did they thing would be able to get them??

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I know 150k is a lot of miles, but my plan is to make either one my first project car and I plan on never letting go once I get one....

I love the Year One clones but DAMN....they want a house payment for them? Who did they thing would be able to get them??
    Oh...athletes, doctors, lawyers...you know, the folks who make TONS of money and we hardly ever see in our necks of the woods.

Navy Blue Metallic

Same ppl who cage them in storage units and never let them fly, right?????

EVIL Basters!

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

I wouldn't buy a 150,000 mile heavily modded car like the '99 you're eying.

The 78 is a completely different animal. Nostalgic, but slow as hell compared to the '99. This is an odd cross-shop if you ask me.

If I was gonna drop $6200 on a T/A, I'd look for a low-mileage LT1 car.

Navy Blue Metallic

Bump..

Nobody else has input????

Junior Member 1 Bad Ass Formula's Avatar

Black
    98 Formula

I'd say $5000-$5500 max for the 150k mile 99 TA. As for the 78 TA, it would be an awesome project car. Project cars takes a good bit of money to restore to it's glory, but to restore the car over time and end up having a super nice 78 TA especially Black & Gold is priceless. Also with the 98+ cars there seems to be a Firebird owners tax, and each repair usually isn't a cheap one.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

from a guy that has both and has drivin both as a daily driver (drove my 80 ta everyday for about 5 months) youve got a hard desicion. my dream car would be a combo of both. . . second gen original as possible but with an ls1, brand new leather (the brown rugged type), and maybe a few suspension upgrades. i will tell you this, i get way more compliments, comments, attention in my 80 ta than my 00.

edit: also by the way youve described the 78 . . it doesn't sound like much expensive restoration, if you will be doin the work yourself that is. and if you gotta any questions, i completely restored my 80 formy (including new floor pans )
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 02-26-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Thanks I keep you in mind...I trying not to rush this...But at the same time The 78 is the reason I started loving T/A's in the first place

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I fell in love with the TA's back when I was 14 after watching Smokey and the Bandit. My first car at age 16 was a TA. I could only afford the 76, so the 78 is very special to me, even though that was a 77. I currently own a 2001 WS6. I'd say you have a tough decision. I love the speed and style of the 99, but it may be a little pricey. The mileage is important as long as it wasn't driven too hard. Mine has 130,000 because here in SOCAL everyone has to comute, and if your gonna comute then do it in style. I baby mine so she doesn't show her age.

I would lean towards the 78 because you can always get a 99 (or later) down the road. The 78 will get harder to find. I have to admit, I've been looking myself..... Good luck on your decision

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    from a guy that has both and has drivin both as a daily driver (drove my 80 ta everyday for about 5 months) youve got a hard desicion. my dream car would be a combo of both. . . second gen original as possible but with an ls1, brand new leather (the brown rugged type), and maybe a few suspension upgrades. i will tell you this, i get way more compliments, comments, attention in my 80 ta than my 00.

edit: also by the way youve described the 78 . . it doesn't sound like much expensive restoration, if you will be doin the work yourself that is. and if you gotta any questions, i completely restored my 80 formy (including new floor pans )
    i agree with you totally... i was about to post exactly what you said.....

go with the 78 and do an ls1 and some interior swap and 6 speed
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Navy Blue Metallic

I have pics of the 78 T/A now, how do you upload them to this thread?

Navy Blue Metallic

I am going to go somewhere and cry for a while. Just found out he sold the 78T/A yesterday....

Thread Information