Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: true duals

ban-one

true duals

Okay, so i just got my T/A a few months ago and i want an exhaust i have been looking for a true dual set up with an x pipe but i dont want to go custom. Is there any cat back out there besides the bassani with an x ($750.00 to 950 and i cant hear what it sounds like). I was also wondering if any one knew a place to hear exhausts besides ls1sounds.com as most sites dont even have sound clips.

black,blue,red
    97 lt4 ws6,98firehawk,91z

ban-one
    thanks man 409 is alot better than the bassani one. but i wanted an over the axle but that would be easy to fab up.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i've heard that having it over the axle robs hp because of all the bends. i'd opt for keeping a dumped exhaust and go for the tsp.

ban-one
    thanks man yeah ive thought about it the only reason i wanted to go over the axle was becuase the trans am bumper but i could just put some dummy exhaust tips up there

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I wouldn't go with anything but over-axle and full length. It looks dumb to have two holes in the rear bumper where the exhaust should be, and even with fake tips it looks retarded if anyone looks under the car and sees the exhaust ending at the axle...and then somehow beginning again at the rear...lol.

Not to mention the increased resonance and sound from having the exhaust end under the car, and you will never pass even the most basic inspection with the exhaust ending under the car.

ban-one
    it doesnt bother me ill just start my car up when they they go sticking their head down there haha jk i just dont want it to look stupid when im going down the road and as far as inspection i live in georgia and as long as its like 99 and up i think they dont care they dont start your car or even look at it all they do is check the gas cap and move on

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by NvyBluMtlc02WS6 View Post
    i've heard that having it over the axle robs hp because of all the bends. i'd opt for keeping a dumped exhaust and go for the tsp.
    The only way bends in the tubing will rob horsepower is if they a crinkle bent. At my work we custom make exhaust and dyno tune everyone!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    The only way bends in the tubing will rob horsepower is if they a crinkle bent. At my work we custom make exhaust and dyno tune everyone!
    Exactly, kink bends are the ones that rob power and ruin the exhaust flow.

Any rough estimate of how much it would cost to have you guys to build a header back (LT's), over-axle exhaust setup for a 98 T/A??

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Sorry! I meant to say we custom make the system for a specific (make and model), run it on a dyno, then mass produce it. Right now, we don't have a true dual system with an X in mass production but I designed the proto type. It would probly be around $400 to $450 in"409" stainless. The system was designed of off a 97, so the front will be a little different,

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Sorry! I meant to say we custom make the system for a specific (make and model), run it on a dyno, then mass produce it. Right now, we don't have a true dual system with an X in mass production but I designed the proto type. It would probly be around $400 to $450 in"409" stainless. The system was designed of off a 97, so the front will be a little different,
    Thats cool as well....$400 to $450 is an awesome price for a dual exhaust made of T-409. That would run from the headers, to a x-pipe, and then over the rear axle and out into tips in the same location as the stock single exhaust, correct??

More info would be great

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Yes. It will run off of long tubes or off of the factory setup. I have the pipes angled so they will fit through a torque arm brace. Factory braces should have no problem. Over the axle it splits with 2 bullit mufflers exiting on each side (straight out the back) It is simular to the BASSANI system but there is no transverse muffler and it has way better ground clearance.

Attachment 8686

Attachment 8687
    Remember! This is a proto type made out of raw steel. The left side tailpipe will not drop down because I am going to use a relocated panhard brace so both pipes can go over the axle in the same spot.
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 01-23-2007 at 11:51 AM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Both 2.5" pipes fit through this brace. It will fit braces with less ground clearance and factory braces.Attachment 8688
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 01-23-2007 at 11:51 AM.

black,blue,red
    97 lt4 ws6,98firehawk,91z

who makes that brace

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by socal View Post
    who makes that brace
    HPM makes the brace. I can't find it on the web, so I think they may have went out of business. Just bolting this on I noticed a hugh difference. I also used it because it gave me better ground clearance than most other brands

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Yes. It will run off of long tubes or off of the factory setup. I have the pipes angled so they will fit through a torque arm brace. Factory braces should have no problem. Over the axle it splits with 2 bullit mufflers exiting on each side (straight out the back) It is simular to the BASSANI system but there is no transverse muffler and it has way better ground clearance.

Remember! This is a proto type made out of raw steel. The left side tailpipe will not drop down because I am going to use a relocated panhard brace so both pipes can go over the axle in the same spot.
    Looks great man.

You think there would be any chance you would be able to substitute the bullet mufflers for something else though in the future?? I think it would be VERY loud with longtubes/no cats and then bullet mufflers

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Yes, you could substitute the bullits with whatever you wanted. I would like to put Pypes Violator mufflers on and see how it sounds. That same system at one time had BBK shorty headers and no cats on it. It was pretty load but not as load as if they were long tubes.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by ban-one View Post
    Is there any cat back out there besides the bassani with an x ($750.00 to 950 and i cant hear what it sounds like).

how would you like to hear it?

the wife's car

stock cam

with vinci 062 cam
    rev in park

idle in park

idle in drive

my car
    stock manifolds w/with cats

going down the track on the juice
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

ban-one
    www.ls1sounds.com they have tons of pics and sound clips they have one or two with the bassani x it says proto type but its just an old video. its not a good video it doesnt sound good.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

TSP tru-duals here with Sweet thunder mufflers, I personally dont care how stupid the rear of my car looks with no tips. Cant look too stupid considering that is all they are gonna see when we line em up. lol. jk. I personally like the sound most of the time, only time it bothers me is around 1300-2000 ish rpm, but not so much that I want to change it already. Not too loud at idle but loud as all get out at WOT.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Thread Information