RED
    1999 Trans Am

transmission ?...

i have a 99 trans am A4, my third and fourth gear went out last night. been reading that the 4l60e is a piece. thinking about replacing with a th350. will this work?

green
    98 formula

yes it will work but will you be happy without overdrive? the 4l60e isnt the strongest trans. It can be built stronger

RED
    1999 Trans Am

hey man thanks for the feedback. so you wouldnt recomend this for a daily driven car? would this be i direct replacement or would i need an adapter plate?

green
    98 formula

I wouldn't like it on a daily driver or even a weekend cruiser for a drag car it would be fine but that is my opinion if you are ok with a higher rmp it could be a good swap but for the money a rebuild would most likely be the best choice and do yourself a favor select a stall convertor for it since you will be buying one anyway there are always pros and cons just put it on paper with as many details about the project and most current pricing then let your common sense make the decision

black
    2002 WS6

Well if you wanna go with a TH350 as stated you will loose OD, but you will have to 1) lengthen you drive shaft 2) move or custom make a new tranny cross member. If you wnna go stonger a TH400 is better but a little heavy and was used in trucks and as such has a deeper first gear I think but still no OD.

The 4L60E is a good tranny, but like all autos, it is set up for comfort and economy not spirited driving. The best thing for total cost involved and limited down time would be to rebuild using heavy duty parts the install of some sort of shift kit and a trans cooler.

black,blue,red
    97 lt4 ws6,98firehawk,91z

th 350

I've done this and dont recomend it unless its a track car or you plan on spending some money. First i used a th350 long tail it drops right in no drive shaft alterations but the cross member is going to need to be replaced or altered as well as the tourq arm mount. One can be bought for this from bmr or sphone but the speedo will not work and it will pull a code that effects emissions as will as other stuff and may go in to limp home mode. I've replaced my 4l60e 9 times after i ripped the bell housing off th350 just get it rebuilt for what you need it for daily driving or weekend crusing don't go over board and if you put in a stall you HAVE TOO put in a cooler. DON'T have California Performance Transmission fomally (Art Carr) in hunington beach touch it or your wasting money. I found a local guy that does it as for a few bucks plus part cost but he's all about helping racers out and he does a better job than art carr ever did. The only other option is a 4l80e witha stand alone ecu custom crossmember/driveshaft/touq arm ect... or a 200r4 but it fall in with the th350 stuff plus driveshaft alt. but it has OD
    Last edited by socal; 12-10-2006 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added more

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

i just poted this in another tread but i think its better here, i was told that you can take the guts out of a 4l65e and put them in to the body of a 4l60e. That the 65e was made stronger the the 60e. Any one heard of this or done it?

black,blue,red
    97 lt4 ws6,98firehawk,91z

read the other thread

RED
    1999 Trans Am

thanks guys for all the info. Ijust got my transmission rebuilt by this guy who only messes with hig performance trans. the car shifts very stought and feels solid. i guess well see how it holds up. thanks again everybody MB

Thread Information