Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

TransAm Nationals

This is a discussion on TransAm Nationals within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Monster-Inside Any one ever go to the drag race part of the show? Unfortunately they are not ...

Quote Originally Posted by Monster-Inside View Post
    Any one ever go to the drag race part of the show?
    Unfortunately they are not doing the drag race portion anymore, which is the whole reason I attended at all.
    Fulper had a falling out with the track owners who can't settle their personal differences, and Sue Emmell has no interest in helping.

So I don't go up there anymore for the first time in 12 years.

I'm surprised this came back up though,,,all the posts show as being yesterday and today yet this show happens in August....

Sunset Orange
    Two, 2002 WS6 Trans Ams

yea it was to high priced last time i went. was 60 to race and 15 to watch.... only five months to go. hope it doesn't rain this year!!!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

I might have to check it out. Dayton is only 2 hours from here.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Monster-Inside View Post
    yea it was to high priced last time i went. was 60 to race and 15 to watch.... only five months to go. hope it doesn't rain this year!!!
    It was high priced because your tech card also allows you all the cool prizes at the end of the day even if you don't go rounds in the car. Of course most people aren't aware of this because the Dayton club and Sue Emmel would never advertise this on the flyers,,,,I'll get to that in a minute.

Bruce gave away complete engines, (worth about $8,000) custom ground camshafts made specifically for your application, free services from his machine shop, aluminum cylinder heads,,iron cylinder heads,,etc.......very cool stuff. And with the mild turnout your chances of winning the drawings were huge,,,,with 30-40 things to give away and only about 50 people almost everyone went home with something every year....it was very cool. It was almost like buying a guaranteed lottery ticket. You couldn't really go wrong.

Very much worth the $60 entry fee, I went home with over $1,000 worth of stuff one year,,,and made off with custom ground camshafts twice,,,,,that more than makes up for the 12 years I attended it. Not to menion the price you paid also allows you to stay for the Saturday night bracket race action as well.

Shucks it sure beats about the same amount of money you pay for the show,,,,just to sit around in lawn chairs and bench race,,,,,,,why do that when you can do the real thing?????

I'll go back to the show next year only if they put on the races. Without the races it's just flat boring. I can't do the lawn chair nationals for 3 days without some type of action, and with Kil Kare right around the corner it just makes sense. As of right now,,,I stay in contact with Bruce Fulper (who traveled out here every year from California to make the races happen I might add) and so far his take is he's done with it. He's tired of dealing with Kil Kare and their personal problems and the show administrators who showed virtually no support. Sue Emmel who took over show duties after her hubby died doesn't want anything to do with the races which is sad to say the least. It's pathetic that 5-600 cars show up for the show and a measly 40-50 cars would come over to support the racing effort. Everyone talks a fast car,,,,no one wants to back it up. I'm just completely disappointed in the entire show and the people involved.

Some people just wouldn't know a good thing if it smacked them right in the face. So as far as I'm concerned I'm done with the show as well. I know many people in the Dayton club who put this on. They attend the local cruises around here and they have been made aware of my opinion on the situation. I'm not the only one who feels this way and many others have dropped out as well, but unfortunately it falls on deaf ears. Maybe as the turnout dwindles in numbers they'll wake up.

I myself will continue to hit the venues that have both racing, car show, and swap meet all in one, such as Super chevy and the Tri-Power Nats etc....

Sorry, done ranting.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-11-2008 at 11:56 AM.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

kil kare seame to like to mess stuff up i wint up for the f-body drags last year the one that dayton f-body like to put on and the trake mesed up the time and was over an houer late on leting us hit the track. ut i must say that is one killer day to race only $20 for all the passes you can make. ill still go this year

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Ah man.. that looks like fun! I'll see what I am doing as the summer gets closer. I might try to go to that. I'd love to see all the cars!

Mexican-American Muscle
    my god that looks like an awesome thing to go to, unfortunately i would have to put 2211 mi to get there from ca

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    kil kare seame to like to mess stuff up i wint up for the f-body drags last year the one that dayton f-body like to put on and the trake mesed up the time and was over an houer late on leting us hit the track. ut i must say that is one killer day to race only $20 for all the passes you can make. ill still go this year
    Ya I've heard of this event too,,,,unfortunately for them to rent the track,,,you have to pay months in advance,,,and we all know how Cincinnati weather is. I have a slight problem with this,,,,with family and other obligations to plan around I can't be rescheduling for rain. And I never got an answer back from them whether a refund would be possible,,,,so I passed on it. This type of event would work better out west where weather is more predictable.

You don't win anything anyway,,,,so why not just get together on a test and tune day with some friends,,,it's assentially the same thing and for less money. And I have always gotten all the runs I needed to get in.

Kil-Kare is having problems as I hinted at earlier. The family is fighting over ownership right now, with lawsuits and such I believe, so it's hard telling who is doing what up there. With that said it's understandable things were running behind among other things.

I would just rather go to Tri-State on a Saturday. Much easier for something like this.

Silver
    1995 Trans Am

From what i hear the Nats will no longer exist in the current form after next year anyway. This will be the 25th Annual, and i understand the people involved will be giving up on the show as it is now. This is all hear say at the moment but coming from people within the know. I have been to the Nats many times but never to the track, Sounds like fun, just never had a car worth trying to race. But it definately seems like there is a bit of contraversy with all that goes on around this weekend. It is a shame, this thing could be so much different and probably better. But the way it looks is that someone else may need to step up and take the bull by the horns. This is a major undertaking, and it seems like there is alot of interest with the good folks on this site. What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by tamatt79 View Post
    From what i hear the Nats will no longer exist in the current form after next year anyway. This will be the 25th Annual, and i understand the people involved will be giving up on the show as it is now. This is all hear say at the moment but coming from people within the know. I have been to the Nats many times but never to the track, Sounds like fun, just never had a car worth trying to race. But it definately seems like there is a bit of contraversy with all that goes on around this weekend. It is a shame, this thing could be so much different and probably better. But the way it looks is that someone else may need to step up and take the bull by the horns. This is a major undertaking, and it seems like there is alot of interest with the good folks on this site. What do you all think?
    Well after Sue Emmell jumped in the saddle and took over things went downhill. Alot of people in the club that I affiliate with were complaining, this has been boiling for about 3-4 years now.

The racing was cool, and Bruce Fulper came all the way from California to put it on, supplying the gifts, engines, heads etc....with no support from the T/A club at all. They didn't even put it on their flyers for crying out loud You'd think they would donate something at least,,,,,anyway,,,He made the trip out here 10 or 11 times in a row with money out of his pocket to put it on. Sometimes trailering his S/S Eliminator car all the way to and from,,,just to make some fun runs, and then hit the U.S. Nationals at Indy on the way back that was usually the following weekend. He even suffered a serious wreck on the way back, with back injuries and loss of work,,,,and still came out the following year again. Unfortunately only a dozen or so cars from the T/A show came to support the race each year, out of 500 cars???? Shame on them. The other 30-40 racers we had were simply other pontiac cars that weren't allowed in the show because they weren't F-bodies.

Anyway, my feelings on it have already been expressed in posts above. I see club members every Friday night at our local cruise inn here which starts in about 2-3 weeks. If there is any truth to the show disappearing I will find out for sure. But to be honest,,,,this wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information