BLACK
    2000 WS6

Trans Am ws6 Short Shifter

Was looking to get a short shifter for my WS6 6 speed. Looking at the MGW as they got some great reviews anyone have any other recommendations. Also does changing to a short shifter help smooth out the shifts, Kind of have a notchy 3rd gear was wondering if i get the new shifter with a new shift fork it would fix this thanks!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I replaced my stock shifter with a factory hurst shifter and lous short stick...made a world of difference...before I was having a hard time getting into gear, but now its much more precise... it feels like a new transmission.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

well anytime you go with a shorter shifter you're going increase shifter effort so when your on it you will find it takes more "push" to make the shifter go into gear. however my mgw does make the trans feel tight and precise when shifting

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Yea I have the hurst shifter I like it, but it's kind of notchy and I've heard that the MGW is the best for these cars, I just want precision and smoothness not to worried about putting in more effort. I just want CLEAN shifts! I just put Amsoil ATF in and it helped ALOT! But now hopefully the MGW helps. Thanks

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What you are experiencing is indicative to the T56 transmission design, it's poor slide rails, and the poor hydraulic system in our cars. A new shifter will not "fix" the "notchy" feeling as you are describing. What you are experiencing is a lack of hydraulic fluid pressure to properly disengage the clutch at high RPM's when you're trying to shift. Very common.

Get a tick MC along with a new shifter and then you will be set.

I have the aftermarket Hurst Billet shifter - this is different than the stock OEM Hurst shifter. I like it. MGW is also very good. Pro 5.0 is too.

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

I have the pro 5.0 with UMI short stick cut down an inch. The notchiness feels worse with the 5.0 but shifting feels more solid. My buddy just got the mgw for his mach 1 and it's a pretty solid unit. I will probably end up selling mine and getting an mgw

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    What you are experiencing is indicative to the T56 transmission design, it's poor slide rails, and the poor hydraulic system in our cars. A new shifter will not "fix" the "notchy" feeling as you are describing. What you are experiencing is a lack of hydraulic fluid pressure to properly disengage the clutch at high RPM's when you're trying to shift. Very common.

Get a tick MC along with a new shifter and then you will be set.

I have the aftermarket Hurst Billet shifter - this is different than the stock OEM Hurst shifter. I like it. MGW is also very good. Pro 5.0 is too.
    Thank you for your help, yea I HATE the notchy feeling especially into third gear! Anyways whats a tick MC? Master cylinder right, if so where would you buy from thanks! And do you think that is a place to start or are you pretty sure that MC will fix the problem with a new MGW. THANKS man i really appreciate it!!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Here's some good info on the install of both the Pro 5.0 and the MGW.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f65/how-ch...hifter-159249/

I have the MGW myself, I'm very happy with it. Honestly as long and you swap out the stock shifter, you'll be much better off.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP - one more thing to add about Tick MC's. If you have a self adjusting clutch like the LS7 clutch you need to wait till you can install a new LS7 clutch & pressure plate to put the Tick MC on. Reason being is that if you install the Tick MC with a LS7 clutch/pressure plate already worn from daily use or heavy track use the Tick MC has had some adjustment issues. This is the only clutch I know that has been reported having issues with a Tick MC.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I plan on getting a Tick MC myself bc now with the power level I'm running, I'm experiencing the same issue going into 3rd.

In a nutshell, the Tick MC has a larger diameter opening allowing more fluid to pass through. More fluid = more pressure to allow for proper clutch disengagement. In addition, it also allows you to adjust your clutch pedal and where is engages off the floor.

As Scott mentioned though, it will not work with an already worn LS7 clutch. Any other clutch mfg and you're fine. If you install it with a new LS7 clutch it will be fine as well.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Tick MC is on my list to buy too. Just have more stuff to get first.

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Just looked at my clutch fluid and it's Black. Could this be the reason it's notchy? I'm going to apply the Ranger method with some new DOT3 hopefully it helps!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 MANN View Post
    Just looked at my clutch fluid and it's Black. Could this be the reason it's notchy? I'm going to apply the Ranger method with some new DOT3 hopefully it helps!!
    That certainly will contribute to poor shifting. You can change it out and put fresh in, but I have a gut feeling you still will not be 100% happy.

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    That certainly will contribute to poor shifting. You can change it out and put fresh in, but I have a gut feeling you still will not be 100% happy.
    Hey man I just changed my Clutch fluid with AMSOIL dot 3 using the ranger method like 10 times. All i have to say is OH MY GOODNESS the shifts are like butter now no joke thanks for your help!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Keep an eye on it. See how long it takes to get dirty again. Mine has never been dirty and I've owned my car since new. Most likely the fluid is heating up, along with maybe outside elements contaminating it.

Yes.
    bunch of them

I've been using a Pro 5.0 for years with a LSS, Ram VDS and slave, Mcleod Master and G-Force V trans. I have yet to drive a car with the MGW, But so far, so good. My car drives like a 5 ton box truck, but the gears are always there, and engagment is awesome. If there's something better, I'm all ears- It's almost time to refresh/upgrade.
    Last edited by 02 WS6 TA; 02-26-2013 at 04:01 AM.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ya no matter what you do the t56 is never going to be smooth as silk. My dads old m21 in his 72 formula was ready for the next shift as soon as you staved the clutch and practically just fell into the gate. Not the case with the t56. It's almost impossible to shift one that quick unless its faceplated. Although with my tick master and mgw I've never been locked out of a gear, only time I've missed a shift is when I try to shift faster than the tranny can and miss the gear

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Only time I've missed a shift is when I try to shift faster than the tranny can and miss the gear
    Same here. It's always the 2-3 shift though. I shift it as fast as I can. I guess one good thing about my current set-up is I typically don't need to shift as fast/hard now to get the job done. At the track is a different story though.

Thread Information