Trans am ws6

This is a discussion on Trans am ws6 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have a 2000 ws6 and put all new 3 inch pipe with no mufflers, when i get on it, ...

Black
    1998 firebird formula ws6

Trans am ws6

I have a 2000 ws6 and put all new 3 inch pipe with no mufflers, when i get on it, it just sounds like a bunch of air but when i got the car the exhaust rusted off and was just pipe under neath the doors right where it y together and its had a sound. There a 2002 ws6 and it has slp mufflers and i think sounds louder than mine? Any ideas y its just sounds like a bunch air and has no tone, when its lower rpm it descently loud.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Do you have Headers? Shorties/Mid/LTs? if your still with stock you won't have much difference in sound. Louder yes, but not any where near what LT's sound like.

Does the other guy have Headers? SLP/Flowmasters mufflers have a rasp sound. Magnaflows have more of rumble, real close to the classic muscle car sound.

A car with stock exhaust manifold and an aftermarket muffler will change the sound to, but nothing like a headers, ORY, and Muffler (with or with out CAT-Back)

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

since the exhaust ended under the car in the beginning you got a lot of vibration and drone , since the road and the bottom of the car intensified the sound, making it louder inside the car. i currently have no mufflers on my car also but its ran all the way to the back of the car pointing straight out. less cabin noise but still sounds good outside of the car.

Black

The other guys car is all stock exhaust has slp loudmouth exhaust, I don't have headers nor does the other guy. Mine also has no mufflers and 3 inch pipe straight out the back, and still sounds like air rushing out when you get on it.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Quote Originally Posted by Black 98 formula ws6 View Post
    The other guys car is all stock exhaust has slp loudmouth exhaust, I don't have headers nor does the other guy. Mine also has no mufflers and 3 inch pipe straight out the back, and still sounds like air rushing out when you get on it.
    you probably have the V6 WS6!

although let me know which car is faster, because i seemed to lose a ridiculous amount of torque when I had an untuned stock exhaust(no backpressure)with no muffler, vs an untuned slp system(backpressure). By untuned, i mean the stock tune.
    Last edited by goof4080; 01-29-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Black

ok lol no its a V8, so your saying that i need back pressure

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

your car is unbelievably loud. get a buddy to drive it past you. my car is the same way, i have the slp catback. its loud as hell when your just cruizing, but it doesnt seem to get louder when its in high rpms. seem is the key word. from outside the vehicle it has to be 3 or 4 times louder than inside the vehicle.

Navy Blue Metallic

This is after LT's and ORY installed without a tune (IT still has the stock tune)

Does your's sound like this?
    http://www.fquick.com/videos/Headers..._pre_tune/8969

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Black 98 formula ws6 View Post

Based on this post all you have done is made your car louder. No performance increase. The stock exhaust manifold, CATS, and y-pipe are very restrictive. Removing the muffler has not done anything for you except maybe a harder look from LEO's.

Frost a member/sponsor does tuning for our cars. After you get headers and a ORY look him up and get a tune. Mine is getting it as soon as Uncle Sam gives back my $$$

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Based on this post all you have done is made your car louder. No performance increase. The stock exhaust manifold, CATS, and y-pipe are very restrictive. Removing the muffler has not done anything for you except maybe a harder look from LEO's.

Frost a member/sponsor does tuning for our cars. After you get headers and a ORY look him up and get a tune. Mine is getting it as soon as Uncle Sam gives back my $$$
    sad but true

Black

its got a lid and a tune and couple little things thats it mainly stock

Thread Information