Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

trans am vs buick grand nation

This is a discussion on trans am vs buick grand nation within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i dunno, probably just a different driver. sometimes the person driving can make a difference of a few tenths of ...

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

i dunno, probably just a different driver. sometimes the person driving can make a difference of a few tenths of a second.

"These sources all include vehicle testing done by "the experts" at Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Road & Track, various written auto publications and from the auto manufacturers themselves."

Black
    2000 trans am

[QUOTE=Armor;616974]Performance: Grand National: 1/4 mile in 14.23 seconds @ 98 mph. GNX: 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.43 seconds @ 103 mph.

thats the times for the 87 GNX...not the 86...ive seen that website

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

unless the buick is a GNX the TA will have no problem, if its a GNX then its a drivers race

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

a stock gn will run a low 14 high 13 with drag tires.
    if hes running anything quicker, hes not stock.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

[QUOTE=imprtkillr2810;618109]
    Quote Originally Posted by Armor View Post
    Performance: Grand National: 1/4 mile in 14.23 seconds @ 98 mph. GNX: 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.43 seconds @ 103 mph.

thats the times for the 87 GNX...not the 86...ive seen that website
    read it again, it has both the GN
    Performance: Grand National: 1/4 mile in 14.23 seconds @ 98 mph.
    and the GNX
    GNX: 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.43 seconds @ 103 mph.
    ...the performance between the '86 GN and the '87 GN is almost identical. Either way, if the car you want to race is a stock turbo '86 GN, it will be a drivers race, these things will easily go deep into the 13's in the quarter mile...if he has some mods, you'll probably get a good look at the back of his car....

CETA Yellow
    2002 WS6 CETA

Kid i work with has an 87 GN that he had lightly modded, and he was killing 4th gen fbody's. He ran a 13.1, but blew the head gasket halfway down the track. Has since had the motor rebuilt I think .010 over, and a WHOLE BUNCH of other mods. This will be his first season since the rebuild. Cant wait to see what it does.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

I had a GN myself. The stock numbers are low. If who Evers dad lost cause of turbo lag then you got lucky . If you leave the line in boost there is no lag . My GN was all bolt on and I mean full bolt on....turbo , intercooler , injectors , trans work , gear and some more goodies. Stock engin though. Never cracked open for any reason. 11:40-11:50 car. The original owner of the car , my friend lifted the tires . The GN is a whole different beast. If you can beat it out of the hole you got the race but, If the guy who owns it knows how to drive it and you are even in power you might have you work cut out for you. The 86 is the same car as the 87. And as for GNX vs GN , alot of people don't know this but it is virtually the same car. The GNX came with a ceramic impeler in the turbo which was supposed to spool quicker. No bigger though . Actually If you didn't change the suspention on the GNX after moding the car it would be slower because it couldn't launch as well. If you have seen a GN race and a GNX , When the GN Loads the converter at the line it starts to squat. When a GNX loads at the line it starts to lift. This is due to the suspension diff. Sorry for the long story. If you buddy has a airfilter and a chip in the car and knows how to drive it , You can expect a low,low 13 second car. As I said you might have your work cut out for you. If he gets you at the line you will be playing catch up , if you can. The GN is a 60 foot car. I pulled 1.65 with mine and that was 1 of the only 3 times I raced it. It's a beast !!!!

black
    2000 trans am ws6

o absolutely.. like i said he ran a 13.2 but i just got em off the line. my fastest time was 13.44 and we both ran the fastest times together, i just got a better start. the reason he cant launch it is because he doesnt rele drive the gn to much.. he has the 06 gto as a daily. but i agree with you, if you know how to launch it you will haul ass.. its really about how you can get off the line.

Pewter Metallic (1of?)
    2001 Formula M6(1 of 225)

My dad had an 87 GN, best year they made, 86s were havin turbo issues, and then the 87 was the beast. Factory power numbers were VERY low with what was real, the car had so much torque it was starting to crack the body at the top back of the driver door opening after some heavy racing. The only things my dad did to the car was dual exhaust, a chip, and took dryer vent tubing and made a custom "ram air" to the turbo. His best run was a 12.9 with a 1.64 60ft

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Didn't the GNX's motor get balance and blueprinted from the factory?

hmm well i havent posted much on this forum but this thread got my attention

i purchased an 87 Grand National... in new stock condition except for a cold air intake... and against a stock LS1... from a 50-100 roll... it will be very close i would say and bet that the GN would pull on you until about 70 and then you will start gaining... this is if the GN driver brake boosts and is at full boost when you start going

and for all the different views...

86 and 87 grand nationals are... THE EXACT SAME except for the chrome grill in the front that the 86s had... no different turbos... nothing different...

GNXs had different computer programming... ceramic coated turbo...same size as stock tho...larger more efficient intercooler... updated rear suspension... fenderflares... and fender louvres... and different interior gauges..

black
    2000 trans am ws6

quick question.. how do u brake boost at 50mph?? pritty sure all you would hafta do is hit it a lil before you go.

hold down the brake just for enough resistance so that you can gas it and maintain speed... and build full boost... probably only 15 psi if it is a stock car...

if you dont build boost ahead of time... it will take a little bit for the boost to full build... ie turbo lag... and they will be very slow out of the go..

Low 14s does sound about right for a stock one.

yeah i would say low 14s are about right despite what the magazines say...

i ran a 13.5 with 20lbs of boost and chip/exhaust

the GNs were great off the line and up to 60 but they tend to fall off after that compared to similiar powered LS1s... this i can tell you from a few highway run ins of experience

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGN87 View Post
    yeah i would say low 14s are about right despite what the magazines say...

i ran a 13.5 with 20lbs of boost and chip/exhaust

the GNs were great off the line and up to 60 but they tend to fall off after that compared to similiar powered LS1s... this i can tell you from a few highway run ins of experience
    auto or stick?

the only came automatic

they also made a TTA (turbo trans Am) in the 1989 Trans Am they came only auto aswell... this came with the GNX tune... intercooler/turbo/Ecm... and i remember reading before someone put a 5 speed trans behind it and it was significantly slower then with the auto.. .especially in the 0-60

NBM
    98 trans am

oh cool

black
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by tigersport14 View Post
    auto or stick?
    haha

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 6sw00 View Post
    haha