Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Trans Am Maintanence Oils/Fluids

I got a ws6 with 30k miles anyways im doing the fluid change all the oils. I read the owners manual and it showing for the manual transmission i need to get the additives and for the rear end. Where can i purchase these additives. Also if i use AMSOIL or Mobil 1 or Royal Purple do i need these additives??? Which brand would you prefer thanks guys!!!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I am not sure about the m6 but for the rear end most companies have the limited slip additive in it already, it should say on the bottle.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

2002 trans am ws6

I am not sure about the manual transmission as well, but the additive for the rear end you can get it at the dealer it cost like 10-12 dollars.

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Which dealership? also what brand would you recommend thanks!

2002 trans am ws6

Any Gm dealer should have it. as far as rear end oil I used the Mobil1 75w-90 you'll need two quarts(i think each bottle is a quart).

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Amsoil worth it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can buy limited slip additive at most parts stores. Even with a Torsen rear (which your car should have) the manufacturer recommended the additive to combat what has been described as a "rusty screw" noise. However, if you utilize a synthetic gear lube, you can probably forgo the additive without any issues. (Someone want to verify whether or not 2000 model year cars came with a Torsen differential?)

Fluids? Name brand oils including Mobil 1, Penzoil Platinum, and Amsoil are all good. Royal Purple is generally not recommended on this Board based upon test results (we have a thread somewhere). Also, go with a quality oil filter - the newest high end Fram filter is actually a good one to get, as are Wix, Napa Gold (same as Wix), Mobil 1 and K&N.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You can buy limited slip additive at most parts stores. Even with a Torsen rear (which your car should have) the manufacturer recommended the additive to combat what has been described as a "rusty screw" noise. However, if you utilize a synthetic gear lube, you can probably forgo the additive without any issues. (Someone want to verify whether or not 2000 model year cars came with a Torsen differential?)

Fluids? Name brand oils including Mobil 1, Penzoil Platinum, and Amsoil are all good. Royal Purple is generally not recommended on this Board based upon test results (we have a thread somewhere). Also, go with a quality oil filter - the newest high end Fram filter is actually a good one to get, as are Wix, Napa Gold (same as Wix), Mobil 1 and K&N.
    The only RP product I use is their rear end fluid. It is really high quality stuff, the same if not better than Valvoline that I previously used. That said I am going to switch everything to Amsoil especially since I get it at a discount.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

You can pickup Hypoid oil for the rear end at any parts store. Use Dex III or IV for the trans. Don't forget to flush the brake system. I like K&N filters myself.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    You can pickup Hypoid oil for the rear end at any parts store. Use Dex III or IV for the trans. Don't forget to flush the brake system. I like K&N filters myself.
    Ive heard that the Amsoil is pretty good for the transmission, i think im going to go AMSOIL in everything.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    The only RP product I use is their rear end fluid. It is really high quality stuff, the same if not better than Valvoline that I previously used. That said I am going to switch everything to Amsoil especially since I get it at a discount.

In testing, Valvoline gear oil was almost at the bottom of the pile. I quit using it in my garage.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 MANN View Post
    Ive heard that the Amsoil is pretty good for the transmission, i think im going to go AMSOIL in everything.
    I have heard from many transmission people that synthetic oils should NOT be used in T-56 transmissions. That is just what I heard. I have Dex IV in mine and it works great.

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

I have valvoline dex III in my T56. 75w-90 lucus in the torsen with no additive. No problem here

2002 trans am ws6

In testing, Valvoline gear oil was almost at the bottom of the pile. I quit using it in my garage.
    I used that the first time without the GM additive and 10,000 miles later I notice some noise on the back. One of my bearings went out. It could have been that the bearing was getting ready to go bad before though.

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Hey guys I'm going to put Amsoil in the engine and in the rear end with the ac delco anti slip additive, but I've been getting mixed reviews about putting Amsoil ATF in the t56 because of the paper filters or what not? Is this true or is it ok because on amsoil website it shows it's Dezrin iii approved... Please let me know thanks!

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

Jeff, I'm just getting around to changing out the fluid in my '02 T-56. I didn't get on this site first and just went to Advanced Auto and they sold me Castrol transmax Dexron VI Prem. synthetic blend Automatic trans fluid. It says it exceeds Dexron III H requirements and for use in Gen. Motors Vehecles. What is the 'H' requirement? I haven't put it in yet and I'm glad b/c after doing some reading, I'm not sure I have the right stuff. What do you recommend??

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmTerry View Post
    Jeff, I'm just getting around to changing out the fluid in my '02 T-56. I didn't get on this site first and just went to Advanced Auto and they sold me Castrol transmax Dexron VI Prem. synthetic blend Automatic trans fluid. It says it exceeds Dexron III H requirements and for use in Gen. Motors Vehecles. What is the 'H' requirement? I haven't put it in yet and I'm glad b/c after doing some reading, I'm not sure I have the right stuff. What do you recommend??
    From what I could find

DexronIII(H) had a slighty better additive package than did DexronIII. DexronIII(H) had improved oxidation resistance and an updated friction modifier.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

So,,,,,, can I use the Dexron VI or should use Dexron III or is something better out there for my 02 T-56. I'm a little confused and don't want to use the wrong stuff.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have Castrol Dexron VI Synthetic Blend in our car right now -- no issues. It is approved for use in vehicles calling for the older spec fluid.

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

I have Castrol Dexron VI Synthetic Blend in our car right now -- no issues. It is approved for use in vehicles calling for the older spec fluid.
    Thanks for getting back to me,,, Just from what I've been seeing on here I'm shying away from synthetic or a blend of it. I had already returned the VI and got the Castrol Hi milage ATF before you got back to me. I just completed the job. There's one thing people neglect to mention... I discovered you need a pump to get the fluid into the trans! I was already up the ramps and had to go back to the store. Live and learn. Also, you don't need to buy 5 qts b/c it takes 4.1 quarts.. at least .1 quarts stays in and just 4 is plenty. Just food for thought for any other 1st timers like me .

Thread Information