Red
    1999 Z28

Trans Am Hood Options

Ok,
    I am about to buy a 98 Trans Am, and have decided that I do not "have" to have a WS6. But, I do have to have the Hood or a nicer aftermarket one. So my question becomes what are the best/coolest and all options that I can go with. I have looked around, but not found much besides from factory l replicas. Also, with these aftermarket hoods, can you still make them functional like a factory ram air (I know some of the replicas you can for sure), or is there better forced induction packages the the FIPK that are better than stock. Lastly, the car has like 88K on it-should I be worried (M6 with new cluch).
    Thanks,
    Mav

1966 Corvette Coupe

about the hood... pretty much ws6, raptor (firehawk), or mech am hood... umm there were some ws9 hoods... but the compnay went out of bus... and mechams have terrible fit from what i hear...

umm thats all i can tell you...

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Put a factory one on it, junkyard if you can find one.

Metallic Navy Blue
    1998 Trans Am

There is a site I mentioned in another post, boa-fx.com they have the best prices on WS6 hoods I've found at $440.00+ shipping. Just to be sure I called the place, turns out its only one guy who handles it I guess hes the owner and the manufacturer..anyways I was concerned thinking they would not fit right or be poor quality but they come with a 1 year warranty, fit all factory hardware and while they are not functional when you buy them, but they can be made functional, and the underside is all finished and everything.

The FIPK is a good mod to look into, I've heard its close to the top as far as intake goes.

And lastly, I would say never buy an F-Body with that many miles unless you are buying from the original owner and he/she has ALL receipts from services like oil change, tune-ups, tires, brakes, everything. While those arent a major amount of miles, its more than enough for some young kid to tear the hell out of the internals and tranny by running it to the red line every day for a few years, because there is a reason it has a new clutch, know what I mean? Ask lots of questions and make sure you know what your buying, and good luck
    Last edited by sketterman; 02-10-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Big Nasty

Artic White
    1998 Trans Am

Mav,

Your situation is very similar to mine two years ago.

I bought my 98 M6 with 88K on it. It also had a new clutch. I have a good buddy who is the head mechanic at a dealership shop that specializes in vettes and f-bodies. The car came from his dealersip and I had him check it out with a finetooth comb. I would definately get a professional to check it out with that many miles. Mine has been pretty good. It now has 93K on it. There have been several repairs that I have had to make but they have all been pretty minor and to be expected of a car that is nearing the century mark on the odo.

Mine also was not WS6 and I anticipate adding a RA hood sometime in the next four months.

Good luck!
    98 TA LS1/M6........79 Formula 400/TH400
    "I got the shakes that'll make you quake! I got the fries that'll cross your eyes! I got that burgers that'll... I just got burgers." - Cheeseburger Eddie

white
    98 Trans Am

I bought my 98 T/A with 23K on it back in 2002. I wanted the WS6 style hood and went with Suncoast Creations. Can't complain about the quality and they can package the hood with an airbox kit. Air comes in from the underside of the hood and enters the top of the box, as opposed to the stock style that comes in from the front/bottom of the box. Also liked the rear air extractors in the hood. I even put a Suncoast WS6 style on my 01 Dodge Ram. Thought it fit since it was "Ram" Air. I do like the WS9 style hoods too, but I can't remember who has those.

Quote Originally Posted by predator
    about the hood... pretty much ws6, raptor (firehawk), or mech am hood... umm there were some ws9 hoods... but the compnay went out of bus... and mechams have terrible fit from what i hear...

umm thats all i can tell you...
    the company that makes the ws9 hoods didn't go out of business. He just makes hoods for vipers now, but i think he is making a few ws9 hoods aagin from time to time.

here is a pic of my ws9 hood.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

I bought a hood from a company in Marysville Tenn. It looked real good on the internet and the price was right. WS6 hood made from a mold of a GM factory ws6 hood. I think about 5 bills, it's been 2 years. I was actually passing through Knoxville and ordered the hood so it would be done about the time I was going through so I could pick it up and save $100 shipping. The hood was finished nice and gel coated. Looked good. Tried it on the car when I got home and it fit good. I have good friend who restores and paints fbody cars. He is damn good. He was going to prep the hood and paint it to match the car for free. I buy paint and supplies. He rents a paint boothe from a friend of his at a body shop when he needs to paint. Renting at $150 3 or 4 times a year is a lot cheaper than owning a boothe. By the time I bought the proper paint and all the supplies I had $1600 in the hood. The hood was not in as good of shape as it looked. When it was properly preped and sanded it had many bumps and dips. It was not really very flat. It was more work than my friend had time for and I ended up paying the guy who owned the body shop a couple hundred bucks to finish the body work. My friend still painted it and it looks good and very flat. No waves at all. I guess were this story is going is if I could do it over I would have bought a hood from the dealer at $1100 and spent $500 for painting. For the same money I would have an original hood. And yes some hoods are fully ram air functional. Mine was. Aftermarket hoods just take too much work to get them ready to paint.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

If someone would please detail how to post a picture I will show you the hood I put on my 2001 T/A
    Thanks Tim

Red
    1999 Z28

I'd appreciate it if you could...like to see all options. thanks

99FRC,00TA,98Formula
    91Firebird,88FieroGT

factory ws6 hood is the best

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Too many miles

I agree with one of the other posters about the car being a one or two owner with documentation. There are still MANY fine cars out there with much lower mileage and basically babied, garage kept. Why look for problems?

Red
    1999 Z28

The price is verry nice as far as I have found yet! At the price I will get it (Going tommorrow morning actually) I can have several thousand left to begin playing/fixing up with. You know?

Red
    1999 Z28

What exactly does more owners mean? Do? Where's the real problem seeing as it would have been driven by someone for its life anyways?

1966 Corvette Coupe

if one person owns a car for a while it shows the care for it... but with ppl trading it left and right they take the metality... i dont have to worry about it y should i take care of it...

it also might mean there is a problem with it that ppl find aout about and get rid of it...

-me
    Last edited by predator; 02-18-2006 at 06:30 AM.

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Predator is right

Predator is right on the money. Multiple owners means either a problem or "Let's race this thing til it breaks, then sell it." A one or two owner means a real desire for the ownership of the car, and usually is maintained half decent. Not always true but most of the time, yes!

Red
    1999 Z28

Alright, guys - point taken. Thanks for the advice, and I'll rethink my ways.

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Keep us posted

Good luck with whatever car you do buy. Keep us posted and send pics if you feel like it.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

I hope this works. I have been trying for a couple days to show a picture of my over priced aftermarket hood. I think it looks good but I could have had an OEM painted and installed for the money I have in this. It is totally ram air functional. It was molded from a mold that was made from an OEM hood. It had the grooves around the snorkles like a factory WS6 hood but I chose to have them filled in. The under side looks exactly like a factory hood with air intake baffles and all.

Last edited by timowen1; 02-23-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Thread Information