Black
    1999 Trans Am

Trans Am headlight issues

How do you change the headlight motor on a 99 trans am. I dont see a manual raise and i cant figure out how to get to the motor without removing the headlight.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I am going to move this to the TA forum so someone can help you out.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

There is a knob on top of the motor that lets you rotate the light up.

From the factory there is a rubber cover that just pulls off to get access to the wheel on top of the motor.

You can find it directly behind the headlight there is a hole in the bracket that gives you access.

You can see the top of the motor in this pic to the right of the headlight.

Its in the same spot on 93-02.

Last edited by gnomee; 12-21-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

First question: Is the headlight making a horrendous noise when you either turn your lights on or off? Or when you set your alarm? If it is, it's not your headlight motor. The sound you are hearing, if it's a sound like grinding for about 3 seconds, is the motor trying to open or close the headlight cover, so, it's not your motor that needs replacing. This first web address will tell you HOW to do what you need to do: which is basically replace your stripped gear inside the headlight actuator assembly.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...tm#MetalGuide2

This next web address is the name of the company who makes the replacement gear assembly along with the metal brace that goes on the outside of the housing itself. The previous web address does not come with the brace that goes on the outside of the housing. This is very important to keep the housing cover on and sealed. Included are the gears, the grease, the epoxy, the braces, and the popscicle sticks to mix the epoxy, and also good instructions with pictures. Thoroughly read both websites, and you will have a full understanding of what you will be doing. I fully endorse the Rodney Dickman kit, because I have used it on my driver side headlight motor actuator. I have the other half of the kit sitting in a box, waiting to be replaced when the passenger side goes out.

http://my.execpc.com/C4/4A/rodney1/firebird/

Hope this addresses your issue with your headlights. If your headlight actuator motor is not working at all, you will have no choice, but to buy a new motor. Still, replacing the plastic gears with 'brass', is a permanent fix that "everyone" sooner or later has to deal with.....Have fun!

black
    1999 pontiac trans am

Just replaced mine. Got a refurbished on with lifetime warranty at O'Rilley auto parts. Took 15 min to replace. You will need a phillips head screw driver to remove the light shroud and 2 10mm small wrenches to remove the 3 retaining screws and the one nut on the actuator arm. You may have to rotate the new light motor manually to line up the actuator arm. Kind of a tight fit for your hands, but doable.

I found more information and pictures on one of the other post here.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by cwk269 View Post
    Just replaced mine. Got a refurbished on with lifetime warranty at O'Rilley auto parts. Took 15 min to replace. You will need a phillips head screw driver to remove the light shroud and 2 10mm small wrenches to remove the 3 retaining screws and the one nut on the actuator arm. You may have to rotate the new light motor manually to line up the actuator arm. Kind of a tight fit for your hands, but doable.

I found more information and pictures on one of the other post here.
    CWK, if you don't mind me asking, how much did O'Reilly sell the Actuator Motor for? And was it the entire assembly, complete? Also, did it come with plastic gears if it was a complete assembly?

Thread Information