Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Trans Am Headers and exhaust

Looking to get headers and exhaust for my 2000 ws6. I live in California so i need to have the cats. I want to get the ls6 manifold intake and then install headers and exhaust. Any recommendations on which y pipe to use with pacesetter headers. I curently have the flowmaster 40 series catback and was looking to change to either a corsa or magnaflow or slp loudmouth. Any help on which headers and y pipe (with cats) and whether or not the catback i have should do the job or which two out of corsa or magnaflow would be best thanks.!! Also about how much roughly should i be looking to pay for the system you recommend thanks again!

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Well the best option is a pace y pipe because you know it will fit your headers the other ones might be a bit tricky with your headers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

You do know you can't relocate the cats in nazi-Cali and still pass emissions, right? And short tube headers are a waste of money. The LS6 intake is good, but then that eliminates the EGR, also a no no for Cali. Many people have tested the Flowmaster and flound out it's almost as restrictive as the stock muffler, but sounds great. Most any other cat back shows gains on the dyno. You could take the $500-1000 spent on LT+catted Y and dyno tune the car instead, to stay legal and not have to R&R the exhaust+intake/EGR when you do emission testing (every 2 years, right?).

Good luck!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would not do well living in California. Exhaust is all a matter of personal preference. Steve is correct, you can invest money in other mods that will not foul you up with the long arm of the law out there.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Most of the members here would give California fits over emissions.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

I like to be loud and proud. Thats the way American muscle should be.

Headers

For the rest of us who are not controlled by "the man", who makes a decent long tube affordable header and how hard are they to install. I dont want to chop the exhaust up so also some one make a transition piece to replace the flat y-section. I also have a broken exhaust bolt that I am not looking forward to replace.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have Kooks stainless steel 1-7/8" headers with their 3" stainless steel ORY. Fitment was excellent and the system tucked up real nice and tight. I'm lowered on Strano springs and I have never bottomed out. They are pricey though.

ARH is comparable to Kooks as well - again, pricey.

TSP is supposed to be coming out with a stainless steel version of their headers. Not sure if they have yet or not. Pacesetters are another option (coated) that a lot of people like for the price.

Some people have even bought the E-bay stainless steel headers and have had success.

Headers

How bad of job was it to install the headers and what did you do from the collectors back to the rear.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
    How bad of job was it to install the headers and what did you do from the collectors back to the rear.
    Mine was really easy, just very time consuming. A 3" Y pipe or 3" Catted Y pipe is run from the collector to your catback.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have TSP stainless 1 7/8 headers and y-pipe. Price wise best bang for the buck in the headers world. Fit is alright kooks is much better. But you pay the kooks price.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

As long as you can get the car high enough its a one day install in the driveway without too many beer breaks.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^lol exactly. Wait for most of the beer breaks until you are mostly finished. But do have one, after they are on and you start the car open headers and rev it a few times. I bought Hooker ceramic coated 6+ years ago with their ORY, it bolted right up to the stock I-pipe. The coating will come off as the years pass, I would do stainless if I were to do it again. Some people can do the job in abour 4 hours, but for most it takes 6-8. The higher you get the car the better. I had a lift.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Could not pay me to live in Cali with the smog/gun laws.

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Thanks guys yea its tough here ill look into the kooks. What do ya think about the catback I want a really nice full exhaust performance and sound. Heard about corsa on other cars being good but not to much on our ls1's but that is my top pick. I know that the slp loudmouth gets raspy with headers and ory. At this point im on the edge with Corsa and Magnaflow just looking for that right description or response to put me over the top with one of um! THANKS

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A lot of people like Magnaflow with a cut-out. Best of both worlds.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I switched from a Flow Master to Magnaflow only because of the droning on the freeway. Sounds louder than stock but not too loud. I had cut outs on my other WS6 but they leaked so took them off. I changed just the muffler instead of paying for a full cat-back and have a stock look to the car. I live in Calif. and you will have to get CARB legal headers to pass visual emissions unless you know of a station that will turn a blind eye. JBA makes headers to the Calif. folks. Our manifolds flow well unless you go to LT headers so I stayed with stock and changed the muffler.
    Black 2002 WS6, A4, 3.23, Loaded, K&N, De-baffled, Lid, Ported TB & bypass, CBM GM 799 cast Ported Heads 2.055/1.6 valves, Magnaflow.

BLACK
    2000 WS6

My car is lowered with the Eibach Pro Kit, will the kooks headers and ORY rub?
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have Kooks stainless steel 1-7/8" headers with their 3" stainless steel ORY. Fitment was excellent and the system tucked up real nice and tight. I'm lowered on Strano springs and I have never bottomed out. They are pricey though.

ARH is comparable to Kooks as well - again, pricey.

TSP is supposed to be coming out with a stainless steel version of their headers. Not sure if they have yet or not. Pacesetters are another option (coated) that a lot of people like for the price.

Some people have even bought the E-bay stainless steel headers and have had success.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm lowered with Strano springs and mine never has.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am stock height with Kooks, including their catted-Y, and can't imagine this system would result in a clearance issue. It tucks up against the underbody very nicely.

Thread Information