Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    99 Z28

Trans Am getting skinny

Well, I have decided to basically turn my Ta in a street driven race car. So this winter project is to upgrade the nitrous kit (current one is for sale) with an ls6 intake and put this thing on a HUGE diet with some suspension parts w/ cage and IF i have time I will be putting a custome BRE cam, but only if I have the funds and time left. well I have finally parked the car and decided to start tearing into it. I will update this as I go with pics and weights that I remove and add. The car did a best of 11.19 with only back seats removed and a 125 dry shot with some little issues. Goal for next year is mid to low 10s on a 150 shot.

Items removed
    Rear seats
    Windshield washer resovier
    AC system
    Front sway bar
    Traction Control and Cruise control
    Front Seats
    All seat belts and brackets
    Speakers

Will be getting the weights once I go get a nice scale.

here is what is off so far

As far as purchasing parts, the only part that I have received so far is my new Midwest Chassis Tq-arm w/built in dsl to custom fit my T/D exhaust

Engine bay starting to look alot cleaner without the ac, tc/cc bs all over it

Today I got the seats, all the interior plastics, all speakers out. next will be the center console and carpet and then hopefully by then I will been able to get time to stop down JJsautomotive to get my new dash and wiring so i can start that so I can do my own custom wiring harness.

Car interior will be getting chromoly 8pt with two kirkey seats, speed inc lightweight carpet and switch over to ebony interior. Interior/dash harness will be gone through and everything not necessary or been deleted, will be deleted from the harness and dash. Only creature "comforts" that will be left is the heat, power windows and power door locks.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

isnt the front sway bar kind of important?

Red
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    This is mostly a track going straight car. And im already riding around on skinnys up front so removing the sway bar isnt that big a deal because I do not take turns at barely any speed at all. Reason to remove for the track is better weight transfer and allows the front end to come up quicker and also less weight which also helps is weight transfer.

NBM
    2002 Trans Am WS6

selling your A/C compressor?

Pewter Metallic
    2000 WS6 Formula

This sounds like a great project. I would like to know how much weight you take out and see just how far you go. Of course the limiting factor is always money, but a tubular k-member would help lighten the front end. You running a stock rear end? The LS6 intake will be a nice upgrade. I've got the FAST 102mm LSXR intake on my Christmas list, but I'd also have to get a larger MAF and TB. Don't think Santa's got that much extra cash this year! But one of these days I'm going to do a Heads and Cam upgrade and get serious. Wish you the best and enjoy your machine!

Red
    99 Z28

I am going to go far enough to hopefully sit at 3200lbs. I will document every oz I take out and every oz i add. Really the only weight I will be adding is for safety which will be the cage. Alot of things add up that you wouldnt even think of. Leather seats, oem carpet, back seats. Right there is almost 100lbs..

The money will be spent on all Chromoly suspension pieces and cage from Midwest Chassis. They have the lightest pieces out there. I will be doing a tubular k-member, a-arms, manual steering, abs delete and the list goes on. Haha.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Scott -- where are you at in PA? I have a set of scales in the garage. Here they are in use on our car: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f36/scales-123963/

Red
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Scott -- where are you at in PA? I have a set of scales in the garage. Here they are in use on our car: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f36/scales-123963/
    Thats a sweet setup.. We used that when determining the CG of our airplanes. Those are nice to have. Im South central sorta.. I see your from Mansfield. If I am thinking of the same place it was on my way to NY when I lived up there and I would come home to visit my parents.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's it - just south of the NY/PA border on Route 15.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    I took mine off to go to the track once about 6 years ago, I noticed no difference on the street so I've left it off ever since.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have debated ditching mine at the track but have received conflicting feedback as to any benefit. The stock bar is hollow and really does not weigh all that much. I understand that removing it is supposed to allow the front end to rise more/quicker for better weight transfer. Anyone know for sure?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Everyone I've known that goes fast has taken theirs off. Nuff said imo.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Mines off. I had to cut off the end links when i did my control arms and k-member and never bothered to put it back on.

Red
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I have debated ditching mine at the track but have received conflicting feedback as to any benefit. The stock bar is hollow and really does not weigh all that much. I understand that removing it is supposed to allow the front end to rise more/quicker for better weight transfer. Anyone know for sure?
    I havent got any vids of me launching with it off, but i can def tell a difference on the street. It lifts up alot faster and more. Its not that heavy but its also not as light as no space lol. I will be weighing stuff this weekend and will see. You could always take it off and see how it does and if you like it on, just bolt it back on. Only took 15 mims to take off.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If weight is not your primary concern you could always just disconnect one of the endlinks at the track and leave the bar on. Same effect. I've thought about ditching my AC and come close to doing it but on hot days I'm glad I never did. I still drive the car on the street some.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I took my links of last time I went to the track, the front end definitly came up better but there was no difference in my 60ft times. Now that I have the UMI drag bar on the rear I will be taking the front sway bar off.
    Callies 383, Trick Flow 225, Rapid Motorsports Dominatior 2 X cam, ls6 ported oil pump,42lb injectors, FAST 92/92 , ASP underdrive pully, eletric water pump, Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, Magnaflow catback, e-cutout, Yank SS 3600, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60e, Strange S60 ,4.10s, Detroit Truetrac, (UMI) - Adj. LCA, Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, Adj. panhard bar, Drag bar, subframe conectors, shock tower brace. 465rwhp-438rwtq 11.09@119.90.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have a lot of weight off of my car, but I drive the car 95% on the street, so things I did keep were:

- Heat (A/C removed, but kept the heater core for those cold fall nights)
    - Front sway bar (curvy roads are fun too)
    - Stereo/speakers (exhaust gets boeing on the highway to and from work)

I weighed in at 34xx lbs with a full tank and me inside, but then again, the 6-point cage adds a lot of weight.

Red
    99 Z28

What have you deleted?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by scott5 View Post
    What have you deleted?
    Removed Weight:
    Rear seats and seat belts
    Front seats (replaced with lighter seats)
    Front Seat Belts (replaced with 5-point harnesses)
    Spare Tire/Jack
    A/C compenents
    Power Steering (replaced with Manual Rack
    AIR/EGR
    Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds (replaced by LTs)
    Catalytic Converters
    Complete Chromoly Suspension
    Weld Prostar Wheels and Tires (if you want to get technical for the track)
    All front accessories/pullies, except alternator
    ATI Crank Pulley w/o A/C belt provision
    Windshield Washer Tank
    Windshield Wipers and Motor Assembly

Added Weight:
    Strut Tower Brace
    3-point Sub Frame Connectors
    6-point Roll Cage
    Moser 9" Rear (probably 100-150lbs over stock)
    3" Thick Radiator...not much heavier than stock, and I think the added cooling counteracts the little extra weight (180* in traffic during the summer is impressive)

I'm sure there is more weight reduction/addition I'm forgetting, but that is the majority of mine.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Heh. My car still has the washer fluid tank, with the original washer fluid still in it.

Thread Information