Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    98 Z28 M6

trans am or formula

hey guys im looking at a 99 trans am for 11000 and a 00 formula for 10000. both are A4 and both have about 55k on them. beside the body style what is the main differences with the eng and such? is it worth the extra 1000 for the trans am?

thanks

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Formula WS6

The T/A is a little heavier with the extra body panels, formula is a liitle more basic package, all depends on what the options are for each and what you are looking for, are either of them WS6? Have you test driven them? The engine and tranny are both the same, just all depends on how they've been treated.

98 Z28 M6

neither are ws6s im going to test drive the formula either sunday or monday, if it drives nice and runs strong ill probly end up getting it. the trans ams are a about 2 hours away. thats why i was trying to find out any differences before i drove all that way.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

no power difference at all. if anything, the formula weighs less so it will be a tad bit faster
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i think a formula is a "firebird" so it doesn't come with the lavishness of a trans am, ie; leather seats, monsoon system, etc.

but yeah, engine and drivetrain are all the same

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

All Formula's come standard with Monsoon PW, PL, PM, and 4 way manual adjust driver seat. They have exactly the same Drivetrain and suspension as a Trans Am. Plus Formul'a only account for about 10% of all F-body production from `98-`02. the T/A's have a different body kit along with an Uplevel spoiler And have t-tops leather and keyless entry as standard equipment above the Formula.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

By the way they all start out as a firebird, it just depends on how you option it out as to wether you get a formula or trans am or a firehawk.

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

trans ams = riced out formulas. lol j/k

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Formula View Post
    trans ams = riced out formulas. lol j/k

I knew that would come up some time.

98 Z28 M6

hey thanks for all the help everyone.

Formula's do not come with power seats etc..I have one with manual seats. Be cool, get the Formula.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Formula WS6

Yeah go with the formula, if you notice, just about all the replies have come form Formula owners If the car feels right go for it, post some pics for us later-good luck

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

TA ftw.

silver
    89 BII, 02 SS

I'm kinda deciding between the same two cars, except in NJ they're much more expensive. a 98 Forumula with 90k miles is $9,900 and the 2001 t/a is $17,999 with 35k miles. I'm not sure which to go for. They're both WS6 cars, both have leather. The only thing is the Formula is an A4, the T/A is an m6. I really want to go with the faster car in this situation, but I have no idea what to do !

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Formula WS6

Hey Doom are you talking about the Red Formula w/ black stripes, I saw one on ebay? I don't think that is an actual WS6, the ram air hood does not look like a factory one, I would check the VIN on that one, also the WS6 logo on the bumper is all black lettering, another non factory issue. The air lid box is aftermarket as well, some type of router bolted on to it. I don't know if we are talking about the same car, just some fyi. Nothing wrong with this, you can look at this from 2 angles, save 8k on the Formula, put about 3k back into it to tune and do any maintenace. Spend the extra 8k, get an M6 and a car w/ low miles and proabaly zero problems.
    IMO-I would take the Formula, although it is an auto, some mods have already been done for you, intake, exhaust, corvette rims, tires look good,t-tops, leather. I probably invest some $$$ into the tranny and have the engine tuned up, maybe some gears, headers, etc. The red is an awesome color too, here is a link to the car on ebay I am talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...QQcmdZViewItem

silver
    89 BII, 02 SS

Yeah thats actually the car. The car was def. painted. It was in an accident in 2000. It has headers and a Y-pipe already, with a corsa catback. I'm guessing that all those little details were added after the accident. The thing is the roughly $9,000 car is much more in my budget than a $18,000 car. I am a college student after all.

98 Z28 M6

^+1
    im in college too and i would love to have a M6 but after looking. i would have to pay around 15 for one with 70k+miles. so im gonna try and get this then in a couple years who knows. i need to go look at it but its an hour away and in ohio we have a low of like -3

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Formula WS6

Have you driven the Formula yet, I bet its gonna go quick at that price w/ those mods. At least 2k for the rims and tires, another 800-1k for the exhaust set-up, yada,yada,yada. You are starting out prretty good, and at 9k, give you a little extra playing room to invest back in the car. Have the rearend serviced, tranny, new plugs, etc. It looks pretty tight, get some nice dark tint. I have an M6 on Formula, but I've been reading alot thru here and alot people modify their stock auto. I bet that car will go quick, you could probably finace at a decent rate. I see too that it doesn't have the traction control, good luck in that snow!

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Formula WS6

Hey biga0206, yeah, I'll be up in Ohio next week to pick up a truck, damn thats cold, 1-how is it driving up there, never driven in snow or ice, good thing it will be a 4wd.

98 Z28 M6

what part of ohio you gonna be in? i have had a 96 explorer and a 01 monte carlo and they have both been easy to drive in the snow. i have driven a mustang in the snow and it is a little more hard. but for the most part the driving is pretty easy as long as we dont have any snow the roads should be clean.

Thread Information