Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Trans am doesnt feel fast

This is a discussion on Trans am doesnt feel fast within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; first few times i took out my TA it felt like a saturn, no response at all, turned out the ...

Red
    2001 ws6

first few times i took out my TA it felt like a saturn, no response at all, turned out the air filter was clogged, changed that, turned into a whole new beast

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

It's really all about perception. It's funny that you think an 04 GTO feels faster than a Trans Am when they share the same engine except the Goat is a boat (about 350 lbs heavier). In reality, an LS1 T/A or Camaro vs the 400hp LS2 GTO would be a driver's race. Sometimes a bigger car can seem slower, but you're really going quite fast. I'd test drive another T/A and see if you still feel the same way.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

btw 6 speed feels fast shifting into 5th. in first, well form 10 or 15 ur tires would slip all the way up to 50. and mine is stock.

i test drove a stock ws6 convertible a4 and that seemed faster than any v6. and that was at quarter throttle.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

If I'm going 10-15 mph in first or second gear and I go WOT I fly back in my seat, I have an M6. I did test drive an 01 WS6 A4 that seemed alot slower than my WS6. All I have is a Borla catback for the time being.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by fbird777 View Post
    If I'm going 10-15 mph in first or second gear and I go WOT I fly back in my seat, I have an M6. I did test drive an 01 WS6 A4 that seemed alot slower than my WS6. All I have is a Borla catback for the time being.
    Nice car buddy, I love that color...My buddy has an SS in that color, looks sick as hell in that color.....An M6 will always have a few more pony's to the rear wheels then an a4 because it's an auto, thats where it comes down to how good of a driver one is that is driving the m6 when they race an a4....No one can shift like an auto can, but if u get a really good driver, an m6 should normally win.....Another reason why a m6 seems faster is because u can feel the power with a m6, to where an auto u can't feel it as much as u do with a m6......I sometimes I wish I had m6, there fun to play with, but I think I get sick of shifting all the time, that's just me tho

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSteen25 View Post
    Nice car buddy, I love that color...My buddy has an SS in that color, looks sick as hell in that color.....An M6 will always have a few more pony's to the rear wheels then an a4 because it's an auto, thats where it comes down to how good of a driver one is that is driving the m6 when they race an a4....No one can shift like an auto can, but if u get a really good driver, an m6 should normally win.....Another reason why a m6 seems faster is because u can feel the power with a m6, to where an auto u can't feel it as much as u do with a m6......I sometimes I wish I had m6, there fun to play with, but I think I get sick of shifting all the time, that's just me tho
    I'm never gotten sick of shifting surprisingly, you just have more control of the car with a manual transmission. My 1998 Firebird is a manual as well.

Green
    94 TA GT

I think it is all about the transmission, gearing, and torque converter.

I just traded my 94 Trans Am GT Automatic (with the LT1 engine) for a 2002 WS6 Automatic. The 94 had a performance button on it you could push that would change the shift points and the torque converter stall speed. When you pushed it in, the car became a rocket ship. It shifted harder, downshifted sooner, and upshifted later.

After driving the WS6 for a few weeks now, I actually think the old 94 responded faster, even when the performance button wasn't pushed on. The 2002 feels strong once it gets in the right gear, but it just takes it a while to get into the gear it needs.

On the up side, the 2002 feels much smoother in every aspect and I get the impression they have tuned it a bit more for manners than performance. The suspension is immensely softer than the 94 was and it isn't nearly as harsh. The gearing of the transmission seems to have changed quite a bit as well, maybe for better around town driving and gas mileage.

All in all, I am happy with the 2002, and it is a big step up from the 94 with many improvements (brakes, engine, ignition system, factory alarm, less squeaks, better instrumentation, more compliant suspension etc) but in some respects I think the 94 felt more like a "sports car" and the 2002 feels like it has shifted a bit away from the performance end of the equation, probably for larger mass appeal with the general public.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
    I think it is all about the transmission, gearing, and torque converter.

I just traded my 94 Trans Am GT Automatic (with the LT1 engine) for a 2002 WS6 Automatic. The 94 had a performance button on it you could push that would change the shift points and the torque converter stall speed. When you pushed it in, the car became a rocket ship. It shifted harder, downshifted sooner, and upshifted later.

After driving the WS6 for a few weeks now, I actually think the old 94 responded faster, even when the performance button wasn't pushed on. The 2002 feels strong once it gets in the right gear, but it just takes it a while to get into the gear it needs.

On the up side, the 2002 feels much smoother in every aspect and I get the impression they have tuned it a bit more for manners than performance. The suspension is immensely softer than the 94 was and it isn't nearly as harsh. The gearing of the transmission seems to have changed quite a bit as well, maybe for better around town driving and gas mileage.

All in all, I am happy with the 2002, and it is a big step up from the 94 with many improvements (brakes, engine, ignition system, factory alarm, less squeaks, better instrumentation, more compliant suspension etc) but in some respects I think the 94 felt more like a "sports car" and the 2002 feels like it has shifted a bit away from the performance end of the equation, probably for larger mass appeal with the general public.

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Agreed. My last F-body was a 1994 Trans Am GT and I LOVED the performance transmission button. It used to throw you back in your seat and chirp the tires hard when going into second. It would even snap your head back. I'm going to have to get the Transgo shift kit installed to get similar results from the LS1.

Last edited by vannatte; 05-11-2008 at 07:47 AM.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i dont know how many times i have read where guys here have done headers cam with no tune and conplained about being slower than stock do to a very rich condition. my stock hawk m6 from 10-15 mph would roast the tires all the way up to 60mph at wot. my 02 a4 ta would still chirp the tires at 50 mph going into 2nd.

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

1994 LT1 T/A - 14.1 1/4 mile
    2002 LS1 T/A - 13.4 1/4 mile

Perception isn't everything. A better refined car may feel slower because it's not so harsh on your body, but it can still be faster.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Whenever my budy was lookin for a TA we test drove two a4 TAs.

One was a 2000 ws6 and had 141,000 on it. Its ran like shit, it wasnt maintained well at all. Very unimpressive, the tranny seemed like it was not performiing like it should. Dead spots everywhere. It wouldnt even chirp second gear. That car was all stock.

Then we drove a 1998 regular TA all stock with 161,000 on it that was maintained perfectly ran great and would have smoked that ws6. It was a very very fast a4 that was all stock. So it all comes down to how one is taken care of.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Quote Originally Posted by intheclouds1977 View Post
    1994 LT1 T/A - 14.1 1/4 mile
    2002 LS1 T/A - 13.4 1/4 mile

Perception isn't everything. A better refined car may feel slower because it's not so harsh on your body, but it can still be faster.

yeah, i assume its because the lt1 isn't as balanced internally and the engine mounts might be stiffer as well. a 4 banger kia at quarter throttle might feel like its pulling harder than ours, but its just a cheap, unbalanced egine. and sure as hell isnt pulling nearly as hard. if u want our engines to feel like they are pulling harder, get new engine mounts.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

buy it...tune it....buckle up.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    Ya, i knew it wasnt probably tuned or anything, but it seriously felt like the firebird.. as for WOT i got on it from about 10-15 and it felt slow, and im not sure what my friend did but he had the same experience.

How about if it were a 6 speed? would it feel much quicker?
    I think you got in a screwed up TA cuz I got an A4 and when you go WOT from 10-15mph that car will throw you back and go very fast.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Eh, both my auto LS1s were turds until I stalled them.
    Well of course it's going to be better when you stall it but I still wouldn't call a non stalled A4 "slow".

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LS1buckey View Post
    I think you got in a screwed up TA cuz I got an A4 and when you go WOT from 10-15mph that car will throw you back and go very fast.
    Hell yeah it will.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

I test drove a WS-6 automatic when I visited my Dad in Texas and it felt the same as my V-6 Firebird. I recently purchased a stock 6-speed Formula and it was a HUGE difference from my V-6. Not sure the reason, I just assume its the tranny.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

I had a 98ss Camaro A4
    I now have an 02 Trans-am WS6 A4

The Camaro shifted much harder and would whip your head back at 70mph
    The TA I have now feels slow as crap. When I punch it at 70mph it doesn't whip my head back, but when I look at the speedometer it moves just as fast as my 98ss did.

I am almost positive that the later model F-bodys have a smoother transmission and possibly a smoother camshaft.
    Hell, in the 02 TA I can't feel the car shift from first to second when I am slowly driving around town or in a parking lot. My girl friend even said she was amazed how smoothly my car shifted.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Man I'm sure glad I didn't get a slow A4 mine shifts good and it will whip my head back when I go WOT from 80mph. No shift kit eather.

I do like the 6-speeds better though, just more fun to drive and ya if you let off the clutch hard it will grab harder than an automatic but I still think the autos are fast and can be fun aswell.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Kup98ss View Post
    I had a 98ss Camaro A4
    I now have an 02 Trans-am WS6 A4

The Camaro shifted much harder and would whip your head back at 70mph
    The TA I have now feels slow as crap. When I punch it at 70mph it doesn't whip my head back, but when I look at the speedometer it moves just as fast as my 98ss did.

I am almost positive that the later model F-bodys have a smoother transmission and possibly a smoother camshaft.
    Hell, in the 02 TA I can't feel the car shift from first to second when I am slowly driving around town or in a parking lot. My girl friend even said she was amazed how smoothly my car shifted.
    The later LS1 F-bodies do have a smaller cam actually. However, they compensate for it with the LS6 intake, which makes about 15WHP more than a standard LS1 intake.

As for the transmissions, never heard of any differences in terms of smoothness or shift firmness.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information