Thread: tower brace?

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

tower brace?

I am getting subframe connectors for x-mas. I ordered the UMI three point connectors. I wanted to know what the difference was between the two and three sided and same question with the tower brace. three point or two and what is the difference? Thanks

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

strut tower braces make for good arm rests and thats about it.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

Sorry dude...gotta say BS to that comment...especially if you have a vert. Between the SFC's and the tower brace, my car is stiff as a board now. Before I got them I cracked my dash and the passenger side door panel popped off one night at the track...now..no such problems. They are VERY worth it. Those rice boys you see with them have absolutely no need for them...oh yeah...they actually DO make a nice armrest as well.

Red/black
    02 Trans Am WS-6 M6

Agreed that they are worth something. I put an SLP version in my 00 Formula WS-6 and immediately noticed slightly increased oversteer, which was fine with me. Just my 2 cents.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by tbaum View Post
    Sorry dude...gotta say BS to that comment...especially if you have a vert. Between the SFC's and the tower brace, my car is stiff as a board now. Before I got them I cracked my dash and the passenger side door panel popped off one night at the track...now..no such problems. They are VERY worth it. Those rice boys you see with them have absolutely no need for them...oh yeah...they actually DO make a nice armrest as well.
    i didnt notice any difference in my 3rd gen. alot of other guys will tell you that they didnt notice any difference either.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

2000 ws.6 with 110k miles....noticed a difference immediatly. Car is straight as a bullet and responses much better to simple flicks of the steering wheel. Frankly; i got a cheap one. an 86$ 2pt brace from sponser B&M

black

thanks everyone.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

yes.. you will notice a difference with the subframes.. and youll love it. P.S when you launch you will also feel and hear it struggle to spin the tires.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

They both work wonders.

Black
    02 WS6 M6

I had a BMR 2 pt on both my 98Z28A4 and my 02WS6M6. They are worth their weight in gold for hard steering. I had SFCs on each as well. I went w/ the BMR low profile weld-ins on my lowered Z28 and SLP bolt-ins on my WS6. I have to say I am very pleased w/ the choices. I've heard the 3 pt STBs can crack your windshield under hard turning load. FWIW.
    THEN: 98 Z28 A4 2.73 FRA STB SFCs LCA Relocators Lowering Springs DAPHR SLP Bilsteins Descr. MAF EGRCut-off Lid Eradispeeds - Daily Driver includ. 3 yrs on the German Autobahn!

NOW: '02 WS6 M6 LOTB BMR STB, SLP bolt-in SFCs, !spare/jack, SLP lid, Battery Relocation

black

how hard are subframe connectors to put on?

Black
    02 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    how hard are subframe connectors to put on?
    Depends on the SFCs you choose. The BMR weld-ins I had were very straight forward: 2 welds on each SFC and the instructions were idiot-proof. For an experienced welder, it was nothing. The SLP bolt-ins I have now are also very easy. All I needed was a lift and a set of tools. I took it to Pepboys though since I'm used to having access to a lift but no longer have that access nor did I own a respectable jack and stand set. (Thanks, Santa!)

black

thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 camaro SS A4

on my old 93Z28A4 I put a 3 point strut tower brace on it. It helped alot I noticed a difference right away, with mild oversteer. It did make it harder to work on, but it was still great.

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

I just put SFCs on my car and immediately noticed a huge difference. The car feels much more rigid and the body flex has disappeared. Well worth the cost.

black

ya, i think the tower brace helps. i have it on mine along with some other suspension upgrades and its pretty stiff. i want SFC's badly. ill probly do those next but someone told me that itll bump my car up to the next advanced class for auto-x, which is why i held off.

Black
    02 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyburnouts View Post
    ya, i think the tower brace helps. i have it on mine along with some other suspension upgrades and its pretty stiff. i want SFC's badly. ill probly do those next but someone told me that itll bump my car up to the next advanced class for auto-x, which is why i held off.
    What class do you auto-X in now? I compete in ESP (E- Street Prepared). The SFCs bump you into Street Modified as long as the two SFCs are independent and do not attach to each other or use a cross-member to attach to each other. Something like Kenny Brown Double Diamonds would put you in Prepared category.

From the SCCA 2006 Solo Rules 16.1.G (Street Modified): "Subframe connectors are allowed, but each connector must be attached individually without any lateral components attaching the two longitudinal frame rails. Subframe connectors may be bolted or welded. SP allowances which authorize unrestricted mounting of suspension components do not permit the incorporation of non-SP-legal subframe connectors into the mounting scheme for a Street Modified vehicle."

I actually have SFCs but nobody can see them unless they jump under the car to take a look. I've also removed my rear seats since no one rides back there and I need the cargo space sometimes and would like to keep the seats nice. If someone wanted to complain, they could point out the seats and that would also bump me. But I'm not competitive enough to be stealing trophies at my club.

Thread Information