Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque Arm?

Black
    '02 TA WS6

Torque Arm?

Ok I have a 02 WS6 TA. I'm planning on switching out the torque arm before I do any serious hp upgrades. In your experience which is the best aftermarket torque arm for the money. This car is my DD, so I'm not looking to make any crazy hp gains anytime soon.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

know that any aftermarket torque arm will make more noise if you relocate it..either by short arm or long arm with the relocation

with that said..umi
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I picked up the UMI non adjustable one from the WS6 Store, and have been very happy with it. It mount to the tail shaft of the trans similar to the factory one.

Black
    '02 TA WS6

Yea, well my biggest concern is I'm wanting to install the american racing 1 7/8 long tube headers and a true dual exhaust system. I want something that wont prevent me from being able to do that cleanly.

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    know that any aftermarket torque arm will make more noise if you relocate it..either by short arm or long arm with the relocation

with that said..umi
    thanks for the info, i was planning on buying a umi full length torque arm with the relocation kit that takes it off the tail shaft of the tranny. i heard about the tunnel mounted torque arms making alot of noise, but i havent heard anything about noise from relocating a full length torque arm, but know that i do, i wont buy one, and ill save sum money...i have a question though, do you HAVE to get an adjustable torque arm if your planning on lowering your car???

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    thanks for the info, i was planning on buying a umi full length torque arm with the relocation kit that takes it off the tail shaft of the tranny. i heard about the tunnel mounted torque arms making alot of noise, but i havent heard anything about noise from relocating a full length torque arm, but know that i do, i wont buy one, and ill save sum money...i have a question though, do you HAVE to get an adjustable torque arm if your planning on lowering your car???
    have to ..no...should you ...absolutely

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    You don't "have to", but it is recommended since your pinion angle will no longer be correct. If you do any hard launches or take the car to the track ever, I would just get an adjustable one since you are lowering.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Haha Shady...we were writing at the same time....barely beat me.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have the UMI tunnel mount under our car -- this includes a driveshaft safety loop. No problem clearing aftermarket exhaust and it is adjustable for pinion angle. It does transmit some noise into the cabin from the 12 bolt, but nothing that takes away from the enjoyment of the car. I went with the tunnel mount for a little extra hook at the track, even though our car sees more street than anything else. At the very least, go with something that gets the torque arm off the transmission tailstock.

Blackened fire chicken

i guess it comes down to whats more important, more noise in the car from relocating the torque arm, or the transmissions tailshaft snapping from not relocating the torque arm...id rather deal with the noise, than a huge repair cost like that imo...

Black
    '02 TA WS6

There's got to be one that takes care of both problems on the market.

Blackened fire chicken

honestly dude, if your car is a DD, then i wouldnt worry about the tail shaft snapping... unless if your seriously going to be racing, than i would worry...heres how im breaking it down, please correct me if im wrong anybody...

daily driver: full length non-adjustable torque arm

planning on lowering your car: full length adjustable torque arm

planning on racing: relocate torque arm off the tailshaft either with a tunnel mounted short torque arm, or full length torque arm w/ relocation kit (both adjustable because im assuming people who race, lower there cars)
    Last edited by godless-phoenix; 09-14-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I bought a tunnel mounted torque arm and couldn't stand it. Sold it just a week later. Bought a Spohn full legnth adj unit and tried the UMI relocation mount and it made just as much noise as the tunnel mounted one. I just leave it mounted to the tranny now. I launch the car at 6,500 on ET Streets w/no problem.

Black
    '02 TA WS6

Thanks for the help. I want somethin for DD and something I can take to the track once n a blue moon. And I will prob lower it. So yall would say def the UMI full length adjustable over the edlebrock full length adjustable, or the BMR full length adjustable.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by CORYSTA View Post
    Thanks for the help. I want somethin for DD and something I can take to the track once n a blue moon. And I will prob lower it. So yall would say def the UMI full length adjustable over the edlebrock full length adjustable, or the BMR full length adjustable.
    I wouldn't go Edelbrock but BMR, UMI, Spohn are all good. I'm a Spohn man myself.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i myself bought a bmr adjustable torque arm and havent had any problems since i bought it.. seems to be working just fine

Blackened fire chicken

[QUOTE=INMY01TA;2445071]I bought a tunnel mounted torque arm and couldn't stand it. Sold it just a week later. Bought a Spohn full legnth adj unit and tried the UMI relocation mount and it made just as much noise as the tunnel mounted one. I just leave it mounted to the tranny now. I launch the car at 6,500 on ET Streets w/no problem.

awesome...ok so full length adjustable torque arms mounted to the tranny are the way to go

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I wouldn't go Edelbrock but BMR, UMI, Spohn are all good. I'm a Spohn man myself.
    +1 about edelbrock...they just look cheap, and not as beefy as the other above company's

Black
    '02 TA WS6

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the spohn full length adjustable torque arm. But I am planning on going with the American Racing 1-7/8 long tube headers and X pipe @ the beginning of the year. Should I go ahead and get the 93-02 Spohn Adjustable Torque Arm (w/LT Headers)?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

There's only one full legnth ta, the one for long tubes is the tunnel mounted one. Also, get the longer bolts that they offer, whoever you buy from. You'll be glad you did.

Thread Information